Your Thoughts On This?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by PINTO1980, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Arab Lover

Arab Lover Well-known Member

its not ringworm as no other horse or person or dog or cat has it at all

oh and there is no puss in any of the spots

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Poppy

Poppy Guest

Is the skin dry under the scabs when they come off? It looks like it could either be dermatophilus (rain scald) or maybe ringworm. Is she ever rugged while damp? Either way scrubbing daily with betadine for 3-5 days, then weekly should help either condition. If it is rain scald she may also benefit from a course of penicillin or trim sulpha. If it is ringworm, betadine will help plus a wash such as imaverol or malaseb (dog shampoo) is very effective- I would also avoid sharing brushes etc in case is ringworm.
    Hope it clears up soon

Poppy

3. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Just a question, is the horse up to scratch with worming? What paste and when was the last? :))

4. Arab Lover

yes the horse is up to date with worming and has been on ivermecton(sp)

5. Valiente Blanco

Valiente Blanco Well-known Member

Hi there, instead of washing the horse with medicated shampoo what you said doesn't help I would try spraying some colloidal silver over affected area for outside treatment, as well maybe spraying the inside of the rug with it, see if it does help treating the symptoms. If it is fungal then it should help.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Why not call the vet out. I've had horses with it before and medicated shampoo did absolutly nothing.
    I called the vet out and with a short course of penacillen it healed up ok.

I heard that its caused when it rained then is suddenly warm weather causes an infection???

7. sil

sil Gold Member

Looks like rain scald :)

The little widgie that causes it behaves like both a fungus and a bacteria and flourish when its wet/damp skin. Medicated shampoo and clean rugs should fix it...!

By the way rain scald is the same as mud fever.

8. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Rain Scald. We have a TB who gets it easily. We get Malaseb from the vet to wash him with as it is not as harsh as some other treatments.
    Every 2 days he gets scrubbed.....leave it on for 10 minutes & then wash it off. Put a cotton on uder his rug & change it regularly.
    If the day is nice, make sure you take the rugs off. :)

9. Emalin

Emalin New Member

another vote for Malaseb Shampoo ,in the past my horse has had scabby /greasy mane and this always clears it up and now i use it more as a preventative
    its got chlorhexidine in it which i believe is supposed to be more effective than betadine

10. Cullion Grove

Cullion Grove Well-known Member

To help narrow your options down I don't think it looks like ringworm.

I see it all the time coming through on the cattle at the saleyards.

My suggestion would be Rain Scald as already mentioned.

Good Luck :)

11. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Another vote for rain scald and as Sil said it behaves like both a fungus and a bacteria and flourish when its wet/damp. This can be in winter or summer with or without rugs.

My 21yr old TB mare has had it as long as I've had her (long time!). She gets it everywhere, face and legs are worst in winter as they get wet. She'll get it on her rump if she gets damp under rugs.

It's hard in winter but in summer I wash her with medicated shampoo rinse thoroughly then... under vets advice... I wash her in a napisan rinse which is left on to dry. Now I know the debates that have been had about using napisan on horses but this is what has worked for me.

Personally I'd get the vet to check it out and recommend a treatment plan. There are also lots of natural treatment options available so research and try them out too. Good Luck!

12. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Looks like a fungal problem to me as well, possibley caused by the wet weather.
    Even though this horse is rugged, there is still a certain amount of dampness that is on the skin and can cause this problem.
    A good way of getting rid of this is to buy some Losic from Amway.
    I found that this stuff was by far the best for this sort of problem.

13. Arab Lover

there is no puss on any of these so it cant be rain scald
    the horse only has it on rump in no patten

14. horsesarelife

horsesarelife Well-known Member

It could be a fungus???
    Apparently bettadine in water will help :)

oh and my horse used to have that and it got all fixed up, she still gets it occasionly tho but i can sort it out quickly. :)

15. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yep it is Rainscald ( dermatopilosis) and is the same causative organism as greasy heel and mud fever. You can get an antibiotic ointment from the vet, wash and clean the area, dry it and apply the ointment. Rugs off on fine days. Let the area breathe as wet damp areas worsen the problem.

16. tsararab

tsararab Active Member

i would say rain scald as well and the only shampoo i found that worked was hexosil i think you can still buy this.wash on a warm day if poss and dry with towels, and as every one has mentioned wash rugs as well:))

17. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

My vote is Rain Scald (dermatophilus). My mare had it many moons ago. The vet told me to clean it every day with betadine and it did help. The hair grew back, but it had to be regularly washed after that because it kept flaring up. the vet said that she would have it forever, not easy to get rid of.... and it did flare up when I had not washed it for awhile. Baring in mind, this horse was rugged with clean rugs and did have days off etc....

18. I think you are right here, Horseslave!:)*
    lena
    We had a mare with the same simptoms (it doesn't rain here often, so it wasn't a rain scald for sure). We wormed her with an ivermectin based wormer and the lumps cleared off.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  19. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Hi do you use a synthetic rug as these hold moisture, the worst time for this is the mornings, that cold moist air then they warm up as the day gets warmer, it realy does look like a type of rain scald.

If you are up to date with and you use the eqiu brand wormers it won't be onchocerca, also it doesn't normaly grow on the rump and in that sort of amount, they would be in very poor condition also.

Janet:)

20. Doc Martin

Doc Martin New Member

It is rain scald ( or dermatophilus ) Wash daily with napisan ( make it up as it says on the container - leave on for 10 min, rinse off well and dry well. Its due to warm and wet conditions allowing bacteria and fungi to proliferate. Happens every year at this time when its warm and the air is moist.

MD