Your thoughts on showing riding pony yearlings with bits in...

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Serenity, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

I have noticed that the new "trend" is to now show yealing fillies (riding ponies) with bits in their mouths - but the lead is still only attached to the noseband. (I know that colts are shown with bits) What are everyones thoughts on this, because I thought that until they were properly mouthed (when they were a bit older) they would only wear filly slips to be shown in?

I dont necessarily think its a bad thing...just not sure what to do with my yearling when I show her this year. :)

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Although I don't show riding ponies, I'd prefer not to have a bit on any of my yearlings and colts only from two years when their required to wear one otherwise I'd prefer to leave it for when they really need it (breaking).

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I see no prob with it Serenity, in any breed. :)
    Though i would rather the yearling mouthed, even if the lead/rein isn't attached to the bit.
    You see it over east in magazines/net, especially at these breed shows.

Nothing worse than a un-mouthed, or badly mouthed horse of any age at a show with it's gob gaping, chewing & playing with the bit as it hasn't been giving a chance to be well accustomed to it.

4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

dont know anything about showing but i think id prefer babies in halters but as long as they were mouth properly not just a bit wacked in the mouth then it really isnt a problem at all

5. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

My filly is currently wearing a bridle for 5 or so minutes a day but without any pressure at all. If I can't get hold of a serreta she will be shown in a bridle with the lead attached to the noseband as I don't like the bitless bridles. I don't see any harm in that but she won't be 'mouthed' past just wearing a bridle without pressure until she goes to get broken in.

6. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

You can show your filly like this, i think it looks neat. I practise running them out at home the same as you would at a show. if you practise with the bit in her mouth and keep the lead attached to the noseband she will be fine.

7. Serenity

Thanks everyone for your input. **)

Scorpio, I have started to do this, and she is fine, so will be showing with a bit in this year - and I agree it does look neat. :)

8. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

I mouthed my RP when he has a yearling. No pressure on the mouth - just letting him get used to his presence

9. Leeara Park

Leeara Park Active Member

Hi guys,
    All mine are mouthed as yearlings or slightly earlier.
    I find that none of them have a problem with it and it provides for easier breaking when they are older as they already are mouthed, lunging with side reins etc so are ready for a 'new' challenge.
    Plus a bridle with a bit make their faces look much better and refined than say a filly slip in my opinion.
    Serenity, i would definitely show her in a in-hand bridle. It would show off her face beautifully.
    Cheers

10. Serenity

Thanks heaps for you opinion - I think she will definately look better with an in-hand bridle too. :)