Your Thoughts On Keeping a Stallion Entire?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Yay Remaani, will be nice to have another gelding for when I bring Bundy out!

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol yep it will be great! :)*

3. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

have u not heard from zoo how much of a nutcase i am.... why wud ya wanna meet me!!! i have nutty arabs and nutty o/h!!!

but then zoo is a scary person too :)*

a drive ur way cud be on the agenda!!! how far from perth is it?? me and pbb dont have much of a life!!! hahahah :}

4. playin bb

playin bb New Member

speak for yourself!

5. LeighP

LeighP New Member

i think people have to ask themselves why they would want to keep a colt entire
    as far as i can see to many people keep male horses entire when the vast majority should be gelded
    they have nothing to offer in bloodlines that cant be got ten times over and probably by better more performed stallions
    over here they call it stable blindness where every stallion owner truely thinks that there son of a son of a son stallion is worth breeding to because they can see a few notable famous names in the pedigree
    you got to laugh at that

6. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

What, so I am keeping him a stallion because he is PURDY isnt a good enough reason? *#) *#)

7. PPH

PPH Guest

If you are selecting a stud, you should look at more than a few names in the bloodline. Performance of progeny and relatives is another thing to look at, especially if bought a young stud and he does not having a performance record of their own.

Where is over here leigh P? Just curious.

8. LeighP

LeighP New Member

if someone buys a yearling colt it is unlikely he would have progeny and he might only have a few in the ring lead wins or whatever so not much of a performance record
    a few black type names in the 4th or 5th pedigree is not much in the way of breeding imo
    unless each generation top and bottom are performed to prove their potential or related by siblings half and full then the whole pedigree is just a list of names mated together giving a male or female horse as the result
    then people think that this this horse has enough black types in the pedigree to be a sire and there are thousands of horses with the same number of black type names on the papers does nott mean they are stallion material
    just means theyare a male horse that someone did nt take off the testes
    over here is not in cold australia at the moment than goodness

9. PPH

PPH Guest

Very true and thank you for pointing it out, I did'tn explain very well. Obviosly then, if the stallion/colt has no progeny then you look at brothers/ sisters and any of there progeny and go back to the sire and the dam and look at what they have produced.

And when talking about mares, some do not have tha chance to perform and are put to stud on bloodlines and physical appearence alone, as are some stallions.

No not all well bred colts are stallion material.

Cold Australia? I'm in WA and compared to Tassie it's lovely and warm lol:D
    Suns shining where I am at the moment but the wethers changeable today lol.

cheers bm:))