Your Thoughts On Keeping a Stallion Entire?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Hi All!:)*
    Please share your views and opinions on the subject.
    We geld 99.9% of our colts before they leave our farm.
    I recon a good stallion will make a better gelding. If they can not offer something unique, and be a "total package"(temperament, conformation, bloodlines) on top of that, they should be gelded. JMO:)*
    Lena

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Have to agree with you there. **) :))

3. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

I'm def with you. People seem to like the idea of having a stallion. Its very 'fashionable'!! I too would love to have something of an elite quality that would lend itself to being retained entire, but unless exceptional, geld geld geld.
    When it comes to breeding in general there just seems (to me) to be an superfluous amount of foals being born (again the romantic idea of having a foal). I do understand that it is personal choice as to what you breed, but I do still think that some people just breed cos they can, not because the parental and maternal lines would make a 'special' individual.
    Sorry back to the topic, I am def a fan of the big chop. I'll never forget a comment Sharaway made about her colt that sums it up perfectly. If you are not going to breed the horse commercially, then geld because keeping them entire restricts the quality of life they have (competing, paddocking etc). These weren't her exact words but something to that effect.

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I just gelded a mini colt i bred & 1 i will not be repeating again with that mating (can do but using another mare).
    I've had people tell me how silly, i'll regret it, or why he's bloody nice etc etc.
    Why? Because i wanted a nice quality gelding to show & not have to go out & buy 1. Im more than happy to promote my stud name using a gelding. ;) Plus he (IMO) wasnt stallion quality.
    I look forward to showing him as a gelding. :))

If people think owning a stallion is fashionable, they can borrow my young stallion (Mini Horse). He'll change their minds. It is not fashionable. I would of thought having the latest horse rugs in a rainbow of colours would be fashionable.

Jet's 1st babies are due this coming season. All colts i dont keep, will be gelded. I would keep 1 entire (lenght of time hasnt been thought of yet... but it will be thought about on many factors) if its suitable out of my Arabian Pony mare.... but not out of the others. That foal wont be sold as a colt neither. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  5. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

im not a stallion owner but i see many people keeping a horse entire for their own perosnal breeding, but why keep an average horse entire when there is eceptional outside stallions? you may have to pay the stud fee that you dont if you own your stallion but the resulting foal will probbaly be much nicer, and worth more, with a better quolity sire

also people deciding to breed and see what they get and then decided if it's worth keeping him entire.

6. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

All of mine will be gelded while still on Mum, except for possibly one.

The one I may keep will be an Anglo Arab who has a thoroughbred line I really want to keep and should be a nice type and will be the type of horse that isn't readily available at stud at the moment. I do have my fingers crossed that the foal will be a filly though and it will still only be kept a colt if it is good enough.

For the rest of mine I do not think their bloodlines are special enough to make it worthwhile keeping them entire, particularly as in most cases their fathers are quite young, regardless of how good they are. They are being bred for performance and I would much prefer any boys I breed to be out there competing as geldings and getting my prefix known, rather than being a stallion :)

7. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I too will geld all colts that are sold on. However I am hoping for a very nice colt to keep entire as a friesian warmblood stally, however I will base my decision on many factors including advice from vets and trainers:) Having said that it will probably take years before such a colt is born.

8. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

mmmmmm I'm playing with an idea at the moment...breeding a good/better colt & a couple of fillies then gelding their Sire, as I do agree Geldings have a much nicer life then {most..not all}...Stallions.

On the other hand..a friend of mine has a saying.."why keep a colt entire..if their father is still going strong"

With modern science now- you can "get" Semen from a dead Stallion,and you can freeze your Stallions semen....with that comment..then why keep any male entire ?? he he he... let women rule the world ! *#)

*citygirl has gone fishing for a red Cady***)

cheers
    Lee

9. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

Oh citygirl, your norty...:) I have and Appaloosa stallion which will be standing this year as his 1st year but i will be crossing him with a VERY nicely bred QH mare that i co-own with Rebecca and if its a colt i will give my boy the chop(maybe) and keep the one with the better bloodlines...:)

10. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

I do not own a stallion as I do want the hassles of owning one, rather I send my mares away to stud. All my colts will be gelded. They would have to be pretty outstanding to remain a colt, where I beleive they would need to be campaigned in their chosed discipline with a trainer so they can acheive his best.

Then you would have to ask the question is he better than his sire?

11. samm

samm Gold Member

It might be a good colt Lee but not necessarily a better breeding prospect than its father.
    Some horses might be lovely to look at ,have wonderful pedigrees and just not pass it on.It does happen sometimes.

Unless a colt has that wow factor ,makes heads turn and keep them turning then nut it.
    In my opinion 99% of colts should be gelded as they just dont have that something extra that is needed to be kept entire.

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

yep do agree samm...I'm a thinknig that way..cos of your-Princes 1/2 brother..do I cut or do I not !? you'll have to come down here ...one day...and tell me what you think -honestly **)

cheers
    Lee

13. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

dont geld!!!!! :D

as for the thread in question....... geld geld geld

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

pmsl..you wolly...buts I loves ya **) :D *#)

Cheers
    Lee

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Well my boy still has his jewels for the time being, and he still has them for one reason only, he is so exceptionally quiet that I am afraid if I cut them of he will cease to exist lol.

So far his jewels have not been a hindrance to his quality of life thanks to my mate Su giving Franklyn a sensation home and mates to live with.

He is being aimed at being a performance Stallion, my boy is going to have to earn the right to keep his jewels and will not be stood at stud for many years if at all.

I might use him selectively next stud season over a few of the mares that I own and over a couple of mares that friends of mine own, but unless he performs he wont be commercial and in order to give him a better chance at a long and happy he will be gelded.

The saying will forever be true, a good stallion makes a fantastic gelding.

16. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

I still think your opinions on this are perfect Sharaway!! Franklyn is a very lucky boy!!

17. playin bb

playin bb New Member

personally i think it would have to be very special to keep his nuts, also i would never have a stallion unless i had my own property if starting a stud as there are limited places to agist a stallion if for some reason you had to vacate. there are just too many againsts than for's when there are such nice stallions standing at public stud. plus alot of people want them just for the pig headedness of being able to say there horse is a stallion and there usually the ones that get into trouble with them or if not get themselves or others hurt.

18. Paint8

Paint8 Well-known Member

Chop chop chop and Chop!!!! :)

If my 2009 baby is a boy, if Stallion Quality and better than his father he will be sold!
    I don't have the time to keep a Stallion, in a perfect world I would have 100 acres and then he might keep his nuts :)

Anyway I am having a coloured filly.. :) :)

19. PPH

PPH Guest

Just to throw another slant on it but having a friend who is having trouble in the dog world over a breeder wanting to retain breeding rights etc.

So whilst it is the wise thing to do, especially with horses, do some breeders geld to maintian a stranglehold on those bloodlines. Obviously outside services are beyond their control but i see some studs offer an incentive to geld a colt bred outside or want to retain services to a colt being sold.

What are ppls thoughts on this?

Cheers BM

20. :D We geld our colts to control quality. When it comes to public opinion, it always comes back to the stallion a horse in question is by and not to the mare it is out of. We geld to prevent colts we've bred, being put over inferior mares in future. We can't control outside matings, but why would anyone keep a son entire when his sire stands to public in the same state?? Even if the sire is based interestate, AI technology allows to breed to the best stallions in the industry. Because we geld nearlly all our colts, we don't have to worry about retaining services to them:D
    That's why we CHOP, CHOP, CHOP!:D Sometimes I look at a colt foal and think "gee, it will make a nice colt", then I get our vet out, geld it and think" he'll make an awesome gelding now!"
    Stallions are liability, geldings are your consistent performers.:D
    Cheers, lena