Your thoughts on horse holding yard designs...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Nikki_3, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Nikki_3

Nikki_3 New Member

Hi, I am after thoughts on different designs for horse holding yards. I am currently designing my own but would like other people's opinions. By holding yards, I mean yards that the horses are fed/handled in that open into a larger yard for grazing (if that makes sense). Thanks :eek:)

2. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I can`t really help you there sorry, but I will be watching this thread with interest.:D

3. Hazzago

Hazzago New Member

Hi Nikki_3, welcome to stockies @)

I highly recommend investing in some portable panels for your holding yards. The main advantages are they are super strong and safe, even our houdini can't get out of them **) and you can change them around all the time to suit what you need, so you don't have to worry too much about getting that perfect design and finding out later that something else would have worked better.

4. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

HorsesLandWater

There is a group called HorsesLandWater this is their website:

Home | Horses, Land & Water

Its a SA government initiative to help horse owners better manage their properties.

I went to one of their workshops last year and they have a huge amount of ideas about property management, and we had a lengthy discussion about yards for horses.

One of the most important things brought up was adequate drainage in them and the need for a well-drained base (like limestone), then covered with your top layer of choice (sand etc).

Not so much about actual construction materials of yards but very informative!

5. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

hi, my hubby made ours out of steel tube, 40 x 40mm. mine are made the same as the portable cattleyard ones only with 5 rails instead of 6. he also made the gates the same tho the frame is higher to allow for the extra height of horses compared to cattle.

when assembled they are round yards big enough to keep horses in if injured or if they need to be confined for some reason. ours are also longer panels as the steel is precut and we just went with what length they are. we use 9 or 10 panels to a yard but if you were just keeping them in long enough to eat a feed you could make them with less panels. we have 4 set up in sort of a row with all gates opening to an area behind the stables but between 2 of the smaller yards with have a gate that goes out to a bigger yard behind them that is the width of all 4 yards but about 30 - 40m long this then has another gate going out to the large paddock. this is all made from the portable panels.

great if you are on a rental or not sure where you want to put something permanently as you can take it all with you if you move or change your set up plans.

if you pm me your email address i will email photos.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Although I agree and I'm looking to getting some of my own, I once had a horse who got a fright and attempted to jump out of a portable yard. He bent the steel down so it resembled a perfect U shape and also proceeded to rip his leg open not to mention the bruises and stiffness he sustained after!

7. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

this shouldnt happen with cattle panels as they are quite high, we have had very large bulls hit them and not even put a dent in them.

it would definately happen with float type yards as they are not high enough to prevent this from happening.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Ditto Sherreem, I've never seen a horse try and attempt to jump out apart from this onetime.
    A large water tank was being rolled next to him to be installed and he flipped out and the workers didn't stop rolling so he wanted out lol. Apparently (I wasn't there), he could only get his front end over and was scrambling like crazy.
    I'm actually on the hunt to get some up here to yard / house King at night and certainly feel safe having a colt in them.