Your thoughts? Foot sore or possible sacro-iliac problems?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by irisis, Aug 21, 2012.

1. irisis

irisis New Member

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this, but just wanted to ask.

I'm looking at horses to buy at the moment and went to see one just recently.

Lovely horse, but I'm concerned that she looked foot sore in the front feet. Walking down hill she seemed to place her front feet pretty gingerly, and didn't seem to be engaging her hind end much (on the lead).

She has front shoes only.

She doesn't look to have any muscle wastage in the back end (was actually well shaped in the rump) So I'm wondering if she could just be foot sore or if it could be more serious.
    Also when ridden she had a lovely smooth walk and trot, but was difficult to get to canter (in a sand arena) and would drop back to a trot.

Now, I always do vet checks prior to purchase (and I know they don't pick up everything), but just thought I'd ask for your views/opinions.

Thanks so much! :))

Oh, she was barefoot for over a year until they brought her back into work a few months ago. Apparently straight into long tail rides...

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Dont touch the horse with a barge pole! Could be sacro, stifle or feet troubles.*#)

Always follow your gut feeling!:)

There are plenty of sound horses out there for sale. Keep looking............**):))

3. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

Totally agree!

If you suspect there's something wrong, there probably is. Why spend money getting a vet to confirm your suspicions?

I've known people who suspect there's something wrong with a horse, get a vet to confirm that there's something wrong with it and then spend money buying it and treating it for the rest of its life. ';'

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I agree with Caroline. I wouldn't touch this horse with a barge pole.
    Other possibilities are soreness in the forelegs possibly due to shin slints?

Trouble with taking on horses with issues is you dont know how extensive the problem is. It may be something simple to fix or it may be something that costs a heap of money and heartbreak.

I did take on a horse I knew had issues with the thou8ght that I would either help him by solving the problem or he would teach me a heap. I did get rid of a lot of the pain but in the end had him PTS becuase I could not get rid of the pain for any great length of time.

5. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Agreed. However, my best friend had two different vet checks, both saying "it's your choice but we'd suggest not to purchase him..." I spent about $1000 on him in treatments over a year, and now he's just dandy! :)

[​IMG]

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

How steep was the hill?

7. irisis

irisis New Member

Sorry, I've been offline for a while!

BigRed: I'd say about 15-20 degree incline. But even on the flat she showed discomfort in the front legs.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I ended up going with my gut and telling the owner I wouldn't be going with her. I just couldn't shake the feeling something was going on with her. As you've said, plenty of sound horses out there! :))

Thanks again!!