Your Seat

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by ashka, Apr 23, 2004.

1. ashka

ashka Well-known Member

As a rider, do you sit on your pubic bone, or seat bones/coccyx? What do you consider is the correct 3 point seat?

2. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I was taught to sit on my seat bones. I remember doing exercises to feel your seat bones better.
    I would have thought that if you were sitting on your coccyx you would be sitting back too much and to do so you would have to roll your pelvis back too much. I dont know if this is right, i'm just thinking logically.
    Can you actually sit on your pelvic bone? I never studies human bio or anything but i thought the pelvic bones ran vertically (so to speak).

~When all else fails and there is no one else around, hug yourself~

3. angelTricia

angelTricia Well-known Member

I remember when I first brought Lupka the guy who broke her in gave me a 2hrs riding lesson on her and he told me my seat wasn't right as I was siting too much on my bottom and should shift my seat so I'm sitting more toward my pubic bone to help my body straighten up he said its hard to do when you have ridden a certain way all your life but after awhile you'll get the hang of it. I do know my seat makes my posture look totaly out of whack when Im riding I know this coz I've had photos taken of me riding and when I see them I think omg I got to sit better in the saddle I need to school myself so I get better posture hopefully this will help me with how I look in the saddle as I think I look like a lump of lard riding a horse right now but then I haven't ridden much in the last 3yrs as I got turned off of riding after my best horse had to be put down though I've always had another horse to ride it just didn't seem the same so now I got to go back to basics and teach myself to get back a good seat.

" A good horse and rider are only so in mutual trust."

4. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I was always taught not to sit on your bottom, always sit more on your crutch...

5. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

The human pelvis is really weird. I am pretty sure when you are riding most of your weight should be on your ishiatic tuberosities (they are your 'bum bones') but kind of pushing forward in the pelvis.

Kari

6. ashka

ashka Well-known Member

The majority of the 'classical masters' say the rider should sit on the seat bones and the coccyx, however, there is debate. I've included the following quotes from an interesting article I read ...

Franz Xaver Schreiner says, There must be a vertical line falling through back of the skull, shoulders, seat bones, and heels; in the middle of the horse, between the 12th and 17th thoracic vertebrae, on both seat bones; fork seat and chair seat are mentioned as incorrect aberrations; shoulders should be pushed back and down; the pubic bone should rest on the saddle, the coccyx should not bear weight.

Max Ritter von Weyrother says, The rider sits on the seat bones and the coccyx; since the coccyx cannot touch the saddle directly, due to its raised position, it has to be kept in touch with the saddle through the muscles; the thighs have to be turned inward, and the hips must be vertical, since the entire seat depends on the position of the hips;

Borries von Oeynhausen says, The upper body is supported by the seat bones and the coccyx. The coccyx is kept in indirect contact with the saddle. The position of the pelvis determines the position of the entire rest of the body. Therefore, the pelvis must be vertical. The thighs have to be turned in. The calves hang vertically, the heels are a little lower than the toes. The back should be firm but supple. The shoulders have to be pushed back and down. Fork seat and chair seat are described as faulty seat variations.

7. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

a friend of mine told me some great advice for getting a good secure seat. Stand up in the saddle and flick your heels outwards so your knees are slightly turned inwards and your calves are stretched away from the saddle. Sit down really slowly and pull you bum in behind you, relax your knees as you lower yourself and feel the difference in your thighs and calves. At first it feels like your thighs have been rolled inwards slightly and you want to flip the muscle back next to the saddle rather than on it but if you allow yourself to get used to it you find you can actually have more grip without gripping and a classical dressage seat comes easier. I do it all the time now. She calls it turning yourself inside out

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

my instructor usto tell us to put our legs over the front of the saddle(when were at the halt) and feel.. she said thats were u should be sitting, then she would tell us to try keep the position and put our legs back to normal and in the stirups. you can feel the diffrence.

<center><src=http://www.boomspeed.com/chilliedevil/enp.gif>

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Naomi...I find that method stiffens your back quite a bit. The same person tried to teach it to me...but I felt so im-mobile and like my legs were stuck, and so there wasn't enough freedom in my body. So I just got tough with myself and taught myself how to sit properly...you know the ol' heals down toes in bla bla...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

10. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Stick with it Sarah, it does help. Try to imagine rolling your shoulder blades open and back and relax. I find it doesnt stiffen my back at all so maybe give it another go.

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I tried for quite a while but i found my legs so stuck in place...When I ride my legs don't move anyway but they just felt weird. I seem to be able to hold a nice natural dressage saught of seat anyone and have never had troubles with my legs too far foreward...I guess it would help those who had or have that problem...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

12. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Naomi i tried your idea today when i was riding and although it felt kind of strange and i would have loved to have moved around and get comfy again, my horse seem to be going forward alot better, perhaps because my legs were in the right position. I have a saddle that puts you in the wrong position and i always have to check myself and train myself to put my leg back.
    But i think it may have helped, ill see what she works like tomorrow, if shes good then this position must be good.

Gamby