Your saddle pad/s

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by ljp, Oct 31, 2007.

1. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hi guys,

What sort of saddle pads do you use? Does anyone 'layer' use more then one? I currently use an old one underneath a new pretty Roma one (as my hose is very light). I'd be curious to see what everyone does/does differently and why.

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i use a normal boring cotton saddle cloth. Except for Lucy who also has a riser. I do like the Roma Ecole range though :))

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I use a Rydair pad. Love it **)

4. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

One day a Theraflex which is a self inflating adjustable air pad.

At the moment I am going the layered look, to create a big cushiony surface to help distribute weight better through my treeless (hopefully). The treeless saddle pad which attaches to the saddle (some spine clearance), a fold up cotton blanket and one of those go between things which is meant to keep the sweat and hair off your blankets but doesn't :)

5. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

At the moment I have 1 cotton saddle pad & wintec raiser pad (back) & that's it. Bought some thermamit stuff to put under my saddle cloth just haven't got around to using it yet.

6. odway

odway Guest

At the moment I'm using a boring old cotton saddleblanket with a memory foam saddlepad over the top. I normally use those airflow ones (they dont see to fade as fast as the cotton ones) but if I'm using my dressage saddle I use my roma ecole one. I have a tonne of "beach/bush" saddle blankets now too as they all retire there when they go gross haha

7. Jadels

Jadels New Member

i use 1 and just a quilted one. With a riser depending on the horse.

Saddle blankets are designed to soak up the set rather then the saddle..

Dont see the point of using a heap of saddle cloths, waste of time IMO.

I also dont see the point of the sweat sheet things people put under the saddle blanket to stop the saddle cloth getting sweaty, kinda defeats the purpose. I do wash my clothes regularly though.

8. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Haha thats funny. I was going to buy one of those and wondered if they worked. The things that are meant to keep off sweat and hair. *#)

9. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Pfft, yes I bought one because my friend's sheepskin saddle pad is pristine after a year of use, and she uses the go between. But I use it and millions of hairs get through, as well as sweat marks! I think my horse is just a hairy grot. Mind you, the sweat does tend to run down his sides instead of soak into the blanket, so it may help heat distribution and rubbing.

10. angelic_wonderer

angelic_wonderer New Member

I use a puffer pad. I find them really good plus the horses seem to like them and they come in heaps of purty colours. When my horse is coming back into work I use a back rise aswell cos his topline drops off during a spell :)

11. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I've got one of those cool saddle blanket thingo's and I've found it great. It really helps to drain the sweat down his sides instead of soaking into the saddle cloth. Then you just hose it off and it dries straight away.

One trick though, the cool one has 2 sides to it. If you look closely one side is quite flat and the other is quite round. You have to have the round side on the horses skin for it to work properly.

My boy is quite hairy too and I've gone from having to scrape the hair from his saddle blankets ALL the time to NEVER!!! I love mine!!

12. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Yep Bethy I have a Rydair, you just hose it off and voila! good as new!! Ain't it grand?? :)* And no pressure points either, stays completely even and cushions the horse's back.

13. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

I use the cotton saddle blankets but i use two at a time. Saddle fitter told me to do this as he thinks it is bad how thin they are.

Cheers

Bec

14. Lil Dove

Lil Dove Well-known Member

i use a birght purple puffer pad!! **) i find them really good they are puffy and thick, and the saddle dosnt sit on the horses back so hard, if you get wat i mean?
    :)

15. Sov21

Sov21 Active Member

puffer pad for f/w - puffer pad for s/j - puffer pad for x-c and puffer pad for trialrides - in navy cos pink and purple just don't suit the chestnut TB - still trying to find one in cream though - does anyone know a stockist with lots of colours on offer......?

16. Lasix

Lasix New Member

I use a saddle blanket with a gel pad built into it, plus a riser (because he has no topline :( ).

For special occasions (eg photos, shows) a Roma airflow - not for everyday use though (its white and I want to keep it that way).

17. PPH

PPH Guest

I use a inch thick, black felt western pad with vent holes down the backline. Really good, wicks away the sweat instead of absorbing it and horse is noticably cooler down the backline.

Bucking mad

18. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

i'm also using going to be using theraflex airback pad if it ever arrives from the USA , they are awesome, am sick of the layering of the Balance saddle pads, plus the bottom pad is sheepskin which sucks for washing! all the airback pad will ever need is a light sponge down... YAY

19. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I just use a plain ordinary saddle blanket.. Ummm its cotton... I buy them when they are on special - thats the most special thing about it!!!

I believe that if the saddle fits the horse correctly then we shouldn't have to use special fillers etc. Obviously some horses do have odd shapes to them that require some help but basically if the saddle fits there shouldn't be any need to add bits more...

My saddle blankets get changed and hosed every day - as my horse does sweat a lot.

My saddle maker said to me that if the saddle fits and you start adding more saddle blankets to it then it might feel to the horse like a well fitting shoe worn with big thick socks!!!! Tight!!!

20. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

question on saddle blankets

just been given a county dressage to use but i gave away all my normal saddle blankets when i go my treeless (they were old but yes still silly)

do you think i can still use my treeless numnar(sp) with it or and i going to have to go shopping ???