your relationship with your vet

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sharaway, Aug 16, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yes we have several cases of the 'green dream' here :(

We have it in .223, .308, .375 H&H (proper nasty that one) and 28, 32 and 36gr 12 guage rounds, we may even have a box of solids in 12g if we get desperate.

As for the syringes for delivery of the above..... Remington, CZ Brno and Miroku I believe are the ones we have.

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Haha our prefered delivery system is the .3030 nothing walks away from that intercranial injection at near point blank.

Marlin for big game fishing lol

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Oh the mess Sharaway :eek: Someone did the job with a .22-250 at point blank range down home and he said the back spray wasn't exactly pleasant but hey, at least the horse was out of pain **)

Yep, the .375, big enough to drop elephants and the camels weren't going anywhere in a hurry when they met it.

.308 is the preferred calibre out of a helicopter.

.223 would be my preference, handy little syringe to have in the cabinet actually.

Back on track though...........

4. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Active Member

Well I'm lucky enough that My uncle is our vet and lives 15mins away so any little worry and he comes out straight away. Defiantly a helpful relation to have. (even get a family discount which is great) :)

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

JB you are stupidly lucky.

Mind you, we thought that about having the vet living next door down home. Nope, no discounts or neighbourly favours even though we carted his daughter all over the country side with us to competitions, gave her countless hours of lessons and constantly helped her out with her horse, gave her free agistment AND let them borrow our float whenever they wanted it :mad:

Mum now takes her horses 50 minutes down the road to Goulburn Valley Equine Hospital, home of Jim Vasey, fantastic vets down there, apparently it's a leading equine hospital in Australia :)))

6. Sharaway

Very lucky Jelly Belly, I keep my enemies close and farrier and vet even closer lol.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I helped out at a vets once where a man turned up. Asked to buy some green dream over the counter to put his dog down.

The vet was suss of course but knew something was up and asked where the dog was and he'll come see it.

He was told it was in the car so out he went. This is when the man revealed he wanted it to end his own life.

Very scary!

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

HOLY CRAP ARNIE!!!! :eek:

9. Sharaway

Yes Arnie it happens, we have to be real careful where we keep these strong drugs at home.

I used to have a small fridge that was padlocked for this sort of stuff.

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

yes our storage facility is bolted to the floor and weighs 168kgs (obviously when it's not bolted to the floor) with a pin code AND key to access it. Nothing is getting into that sucker in a hurry.

11. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I have a good relationship with my vet. I call, load horse, turn up, they do their thing, I pay them. Lots :eek: and lots lol.

I get my regular Pentosan, vaccinations, etc etc from the same clinic and have been using them for a couple of years now. I am confident in the ability of my vet(s) and they are confident that I will pony up dosh.

So it works well **) In saying that, if ever I had a really bad situation that cost a wee bit more than the daily eftpos limit, I am sure that they would trust me to set up a payment plan knowing that I would not do the dirty on them.

Will be visiting them soon, two horses need microchipping, teeth, regular oiling due shortly, vaccinations too, a regular checkover for youngun and not-so-regular checkover for showjumper ....... *#)*#) no wonder they are so nice to me :p

12. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

yes i have a lovely vet Donna at Serpy @) she goes above and beyond in the line of duty lol :D

my mare came down with gas colic saturday at 4pm i rang Donna she had just finished riding at Darling Downs, loaded her horse on the float and came straight to my place, horse n all! was there in about 30mins, yes the bill was LARGE hehe but rather that than lose my horse **)

and as others have said if you cant afford the vet bills horses probably arent a good idea.

13. Sharaway

Once again my local vets where fantastic to deal with, one of our rabbits presented with sudden large swelling on her nose, turned out to be an abscess, nothing could be done for her, she was pts by the vet.

We opened up the abscess after the bunny was pts to investigate in less than 1 week what started out as an oat seed that the bunny had tried to snort rather than eat ended up with an infection that was already eating into the bone of her nose.

It was such a rare and sudden case the vet is going to write up a report on it for other vets.

And what was I charged $44 to dispose of the body.

RIP Lil Mamma, may the grass be forever green for you now.

14. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

oh poor bunny shaz, you should stop snorting cocaine in front of them as they're obviously copying you! hehehehe
    i'm allergic to bunnies.
    was castrating one a fair few yrs ago & it gave me the biggest asthma attack i've ever had!
    now i can't even touch 'em.....
    :)

15. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I'm sure A.R.R.S would like to hear that story Sharaway.

16. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

I love our vets (but now I need to find a new one over here :( ), they've been so incredibly patient & understanding with our animals & ourselves over the years....answered many a query, taught us alot & gone above & beyond SO many times!!

Times gone by they've called past to drop in treatments & the like in their own personal time because they were going past....but the same as my farrier etc, I always offer hot/cold drinks, shelter wherever possible to treat, caught horses etc ( and if your the last patient on Friday and it's stinking hot....a ice cold beer!! ) it's the least I can do!

17. Sharaway

Funny that, the vet here was also allergic to rabbits, didn't help that when she clipped out the site to have a good look at the lump I blew rabbit fur in her face to clear it out of the rabbits eyes.

She had to desex one the day before, poor love was having a bad run on rabbits.

You don't think of a rabbit as being a fragile creature, certainly an experience I don't want to repeat, we have changed their feed mix now to pellets, no more oat heads. Unless their soft and green.

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yes good old country hospitality never goes astray. You'd be amazed at what we can get on a plane in the middle of the wet season simply by guaranteeing a cold can of coke for the pilot at the delivery point. The 'sorry we have no room for that box' suddenly turns into 'it is only a little box and I will squeez it in somewhere' at the mention of a cold drink. Made it brilliantly simple to get penicillin, vaccine for the dog and bute granules sent out :D

19. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

i love my grumpy old bugger especially grumpy when i light up a smoke at what he always calls the wrong time :D he is blunt honest and a great old guy he never fobs you off when you ring asking for advise his prices are pretty good also i hope he practices for many more years oh and his vet nurse is a sweetheart :)
    cheers shyloh :}

20. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek: ummmmmm scary!!!!