Your relationship with your vet

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by AnnieIvy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Yeah well in the last 48 hours I have spent $500 with my fantastic vet between Pentasan injections for the horse and the sick dog. He actually thanked me for keeping his practice going this morning, the cheeky thing!

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I try not too :p
    I think I paid her weeks wages last time I got a major vet bill *#)

I don't actually use the vet on a very regular basis.. I'm lucky *TOUCH WOOD* that I've only had to use them 5 times in quite a few years. I love Larkhill Vets :)

3. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

You're not the only one Teal ;) In 23 years of horse ownership I've only had to get a vet out 3 times, twice for injuries, with the last time a trip to the vet for xrays due to a bout of laminitis (7 yrs ago). So I don't have a vet... I never drench.. don't have problems with colic (prefer good husbandry and management)... and haven't had the injury problems with the arabs like I did with the TB's (who I swear to god are born with a death wish). I have a stallion, but don't own mares so don't breed foals myself (so no need for vet for scans/births etc). If/when I need a vet, I'll ring the nearest one I trust (have dealt with a number of vets/clinics with clients horses, so know who I wouldn't use in a pink fit *#))