Your Paddock/DIY Agistment Experiences

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by chavi, Jan 10, 2008.

1. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Hi guys,
    I'm interesting in hearing from people who do paddock agistment or have done so in the past.

- How much (approx) do you pay?
    - What facilities do you have?
    - How often do you go out to your horse (eg 2 x daily, 1x daily etc)
    - Do you compete, and how do you manage with a paddock kept horse?
    - Are there owners/managers living onsite, or someone else to check on your horse when you're not there?
    - Are there other agisters or are you by yourself?
    - Have you found other agisters to be helpful when it comes to sharing tasks? eg. I'll feed and rug your horse on Wednesday if you do mine on Tuesday?
    - Anything else you want to tell me?

Also, if anyone knows of anywhere near Baldvis/Wellard/Oakford that does paddock agistment could you PM me? I don't need it now, probably in a couple of months time, but I just want to get my feelers out for what is out there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

we pay $40 per week per horse
    1 larger paddock
    1 small paddock
    barn with 3 stalls and area for foods
    someone from my family (me or mum) goes up 2 times a day
    owners live onsight and goes and gives them carrots :D
    my families 4 horses are the only one there

3. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

I have been DIY for the last 8 weeks for the first time and i am actually really loving it!

I am very very blessed as the other girl that agists in the same paddock is more than happy to chuck a feed in for me if i can make it down and i am happy to do the same for her.

we don't have much in the way of facilities....a feed shed is about it! but truth be told i don't miss all the fancy stuff much! There is a man that lives on site who is happy to top up the trough if it is low.

The horses are only fed once a day and are maintaining condition well...if they didn't we would put a hay roll in.

I don't pay much at all!

4. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

I pay $60 per week and get my horse fed, stabled, mucked out, rugged or un-rugged, own paddock, arena, roundyard and really really nice people.
    I am very lucky!

All I pay is feed.

Having said all that, I am very hands on so I help out with their ponies and clean up etc as often as I can.

The most important thing for me is knowing your horse is well looked after in those times that you can't be there :D

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I did this about 3 or so years ago, my horse is in a paddock now but it is full board.

- How much (approx) do you pay? $20 p/w, but I know everywhere is alot more expensive now, expect to pay around the $40 mark
    - What facilities do you have? Big green paddock, sand arena and own tack shed.
    - How often do you go out to your horse (eg 2 x daily, 1x daily etc) 2 x daily. Used to go before school to unrug, feed etc, then on the way home from school.
    - Do you compete, and how do you manage with a paddock kept horse?
    - Are there owners/managers living onsite, or someone else to check on your horse when you're not there? Yes, but they were not horsey, so it wasn't an option.
    - Are there other agisters or are you by yourself? 2 other agisters
    - Have you found other agisters to be helpful when it comes to sharing tasks? eg. I'll feed and rug your horse on Wednesday if you do mine on Tuesday? Depends on the person :p

DIY is great, the only downside that I had was that I had to go unrug every morning. I'd do it again though just for the saving of $$$$ :D

Good Luck

6. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

- How much (approx) do you pay? I pay $25p/w.
    - What facilities do you have? 1 big, green all year round paddok, and 3 other 'bush' paddocks with lots a shade etc. I have my own lock-up shed, and the owner if the property is thinking of building me an arena.
    - How often do you go out to your horse (eg 2 x daily, 1x daily etc) Depends. If someone offers to take me in the morning, sure. But mostly once per day.
    - Do you compete, and how do you manage with a paddock kept horse? I compete sometimes. How do I manage? Uhm, easy, tack him up and go.
    - Are there owners/managers living onsite, or someone else to check on your horse when you're not there? Sure is. The owner tell me everything he does! eg. oh he went bush this arvo, had a snooze under that tree etc.
    - Are there other agisters or are you by yourself? 2 others, very lovely people.
    - Have you found other agisters to be helpful when it comes to sharing tasks? eg. I'll feed and rug your horse on Wednesday if you do mine on Tuesday? Yes, very easy, considering one of them lives with us. They are very helpful people.

7. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I'm hoping for a few more responses so try and keep this bumped up for me if you can :D

Some of you sound like you have a great set up, well done!

Ideally, I'd love to find somewhere where I can pitch in and help out in return for others doing the same for me when it's needed, and I need to do it on the cheaper side of things - my horse habit has to come in at under $100 p/w, including agistment, feed, worming, and farrier. Lessons seperate. Obviously vet bills etc are considered special circumstances and don't count. I'm prepared to work hard to do this, but I also need to know that my future horse is going to be cared for when I'm not there. :( I'm probably asking for too much aren't I? *sigh*

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  8. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

I think DIY is really good if you ahve the time, and if the agisters are really good its easy if everyone eants to help out =) we're paying $45 but we have big green reticed paddock, areana, roundyard, they throw in hay and feeds if you make them up and stuff.
    Only thing Id warn to watch out for is agisting with non horsey people, can become very interfering and dont know what theyre doing so can be very annoying and more stress than its worth with what you're saving. Also, their property maintenance can be a problem, as they dont have the sam standards you do for your horsey!!! And if something were to go wrong (eg, Colic ect) they wouldnt even know.

Good luck and enjoy!!! =)

9. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I am lucky that the other girl that agists where Jazz is, is absolutely wonderful. We are able to trade off on days to feed when one of us isn't able to get down. The guy who's property we agist off is more than happy to keep and eye on the horses, and he tops the water trough off if it is getting low.
    in regards to facilities, we share a feed shed and I have a lock up tack shed, that i am more than willing to share but haven't had to at this stage.
    We have made our own jumps with bits and pieces that we have found to make them safe.

Jazz is kept on approximately 5-7 acres.

10. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

Chavi you have budgeted for petrol if you are doing DIY my agistment costs alot however its the fuel on top kills me cause i want to visit premi 5 times a week

11. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Yeah, I'm trying to factor the fuel costs in, thanks for bringing it up though Prem. I was spending heaps on fuel in the past two years travelling to work and back, I'm hoping I have a job closer to come this year and it will work out even that way.

12. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

Brilliant yeah it was one thing i didnt really think about till my dad gave me the new car now its killing me haha

fingers crossed you get your placement soon hey so you dont have to wait any longer

13. Ellie

Ellie Well-known Member

am currently on DIY agistment and havent had problems :)
    - i pay $50 a week and thats for 3 horses ( 2 stables and any yards, one is in a smaller paddock and 2 are in a large back paddock)
    - i go out to horses once to twice a day depending as there is someone else there that i can trade with/she does my horses / i do hers
    - we have stables ( 4) and many yards all to our use, lunge yard, trotting track, dressage arena (bit boggy), sj course, xc course(getting built) wash bay, crush, few small paddocks and a large back paddock.
    - i compete ( from anythign from hacking to sj to eventing) horses stay out day and night and night before a show i bring them in, if you only have paddock/yard you could bandage them up to stay clean
    -The owners live there and there are also a few other people who keep horses there so there down if im not there
    - other agisters there so am not alone
    -yes very helpful thats how we do mornings/afternoons and its very helpful
    - i like the fact how i feed/get my horses ect bit of bonding time aswell, full board ect wouldbe very helpful but i dont mind DIY :)*

14. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

I pay $50.00 per week for 2 horses,they are in a 10 acre paddock. The owners are not horse educated at all. But they do ring us if they see any thing out of the ordinary. We supply our own electric fence and water trough. There is about 20 acres of paddock that we are going to be fencing soon to put our horses in. The ground is clay and the feed is abundent so apart from mineral blocks and a token feed 2-3 times per week the horses mostly fend for them selves. They are check on each day.
    The horses are also not in work at the moment and both are carring alot of condition.:)

15. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

I pay $50.00 per week for 2 horses,they are in a 10 acre paddock. The owners are not horse educated at all. But they do ring us if they see any thing out of the ordinary. We supply our own electric fence and water trough. There is about 20 acres of paddock that we are going to be fencing soon to put our horses in. The ground is clay and the feed is abundent so apart from mineral blocks and a token feed 2-3 times per week the horses mostly fend for them selves. They are checked on each day.
    The horses are also not in work at the moment and both are carring alot of condition.:)

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

if you find a good place, you can do part board for around $50 a week. i spend that much on agistment (i pay extra for them to feed etc on the days i can't do it, IF it's a regular thing - which it has been for the past 3 years; i always take tues,wed,thurs off - driving to rocko then to wanneroo is a mad amt of driving to do so i take a break midweek). and i doubt i'd spend $50 a week on feed.

DIY would be great, if my horse and work were close to each other. when i was in merredin it was basically diy, but we looked after each other. i would drop in en route to work to feed & let out & do the other chores after work. work/horse/home was like a 10min round trip!!!

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I pay $10 a week per horse but I have them at two different places.
    One is out on a farm having a rest and she's fed a bikky of hay morning and night and has run of an un-harvested oat feild with one other horse, the rest are in the Jenny Craig paddock! At the moment I see her everyday because I'm house sitting otherwise I see her about 3-4 times a week. There she's got all the room she wants to run and I have use of a tack shed and a lovely set of yards.
    The other two are agisted about 100m away from my house. $10 a week also. I have access to a few paddocks but at the moment only use one but there is a kind of 'chanel' leading to the other paddock and both horses choose to only graze in that paddock (which is full of feed) for 1-2 hours a day. I have access to one horse yard and sheep yards which are safe enough for horses (Gracie foaled down in one) and I'm out there three times a day giving them their breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is one other agister with a 20yr old horse who's in a seperate paddock and absolutly lovely who we feed when she's out of town (when asked of course) otherwise we hardly bump into each other.
    The horse on spell is rideable but resting, and the other two arn't, Gracie isn't broken and King is too young and I spend most of my time taking King for walks and basic handling manners.
    I love it at the moment but always on the hunt for a property to live on!

18. Bell The Babe

Bell The Babe Active Member

I pay $50 per week DIY.

For that we get -

a night yard with stable
    he shares his large paddock with 1 other horse
    reticulated, grassed LARGE paddock
    Part of a large feed shed
    small feed shed for hay
    has arena with shredded rubber base although not full size currently, is being expanded this year
    round yard coming this year
    we also have access to wash bay facilities
    I go down twice a day to feed / rug or unrug and as its 10 mins from my home its not too bad
    the other girl I share with is great and will cover any days / nights that I cant make it and I am happy to do the same for her
    we did do a bit of tidying up and maintenance when we moved in
    owners are lovely (and horsey) and he is well looked after when Im not there!
    close to bush riding too

LOVE THE PLACE!!!

19. rbk

rbk Active Member

Where abouts is Hammond Park?

20. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like it's just the matter of finding the right place/right people :)

rbk - Hammond Park is near Jandakot, but we are looking at moving to Baldivis early this year.