Your Opinions???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by horseychic, Sep 9, 2008.

1. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Please dont start a debate but just looking for some information on Jurocyl (hope I spelt it right) I was told that i should give a course to my old mare to help her shed her coat as she tends to hang onto it until we end up clipping her, but when i did reasearch found out it has arsenic in it would this not be bad for them and also would it not swab positive or cause breeding problems?

2. pso

pso Gold Member

It will swab positive...but not after a certain period...
    not sure of effect on pregnancy (ask your vet)

It will bring the coat thru great, but if you dont keep giving it, you can end up with a washed out/yellow/sick coat (U can usually tell which horses have been given a course of it;) ) but if she is an old broody, thats not really a prob!

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Just stick with balanced feeding, a good worm out and lots of grooming mate!**)

Jurocyl is not nice stuff and the horse stores the arsenic. Give it a miss.:D :))

4. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

horses store arsenic in there stomachs so its really not something you want to be giving them. just stick to good elbow grease :)

5. abi

abi Well-known Member

perhaps you could clip.....just a thought:)

6. cruise 99

cruise 99 Active Member

only ever used it once and she went down sick and was off for weeks

7. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Would talk it over with a good vet and go from there. ;) I would not do it. :))

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'd stick to clipping the horse if the coat's causing a problem.
    I've seen what it can do to a horse when it's been used for a period of time or over a few seasons so I wouldn't go there. #(
    I know you're not talking about using it long term, but I don't think it's worth it.

9. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Hi, Thanks guys for your help, I had the same thoughts about the arsenic and what it could do to the horse, definately give it a miss, will clip her instead. :)*