Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Late Starter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. lucas and brad

lucas and brad Well-known Member

Ive owned many breeds, but i must say, the welsh cob is by far truly the best! How can you not love this:))

Indi Placebo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Indi Placebo is certainly a very spunky pony! Only thing is, as he is entire I don't believe he can do official show hunter, he can do official dressage tho.

3. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

4. cuddly_pony

cuddly_pony New Member

DROOOLS!!!
    Mum and I would love a Cob and sure enough if there is a cob at a show where we are I know where mum is!!! (many times I have cought her giving the pony a scratch or two :p)
    We would love one I recently sold my Welsh pony :( and she was beautiful but its the closest i am gonna get because I do this silly little thing called Hacking :p

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Unless you are planning on gelding him he will not be able to compete in official Show Hunter classes. In fact the only Show Hunter classes he can compete at are breed ones as stallions are not allowed in unofficial as well!

I love the look of cobs and as they were bred to be all rounders they certainly should do well as one :)*

6. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

What a spunk IP is (does he have eyes under all that hair??) and the welsh cobs manes and tails are just so thick and glorious and to see them blowing around whilst in motion is a sight I could watch all day; seems such ashame to have to cut/thin them out when showing (except breed shows where I understand they are left) but I guess if that's the rules and you want to take part you have to abide by it. They also seem to have such a character about them and they certainly seem to be a very "versatile" breed from the response to this thread.

I was reading an english horse magazine and there was an article on a cob and showing; the stockier, cob type horses (not just welsh) seem to be more accepted of in the UK for showing - why (or do I have an incorrect perception that that is the case)? Is it because that "type" is more common there, the governing body, we're "behind the times" here (ok I might be stirring the pot here :p), the type of showing over there or something else...?

7. Hunny

Hunny New Member

I love them!! I don't hack, but can't see why they wouldln't do well in a dressage arena...if the training is there!! :)

Now, can you get them around 15.3/16hh??? I am to tall for all the ones I have seen!

8. lps

lps New Member

What a great Topic :))

Lucas and Brad:eek:....... You donkey :) Im sure you meant you would
    like to do the Welsh Hunter classes :)

There are so many great breeds of horses and ponies but, for me being....... lets say a little on the short side :) and with a young family the Welsh Cob, section C is for me .
    I wanted a pony that
    we all could ride, something I bring in from the paddock and ride once a day or once a month and was always going to be calm, relax and easy to work, safe for the kids to be around and quiet enough for them to hop on and be led around I also wanted something that when I got a chance I could go out and compete at shows with weather it be dressage, jumping, games etc
    I wanted a breed of pony that just fitted in with life and I really must say my little band of ponies are just little stars as far as this is concerned. Just Love them xx

I thought some people would like to read this, its from the UK Welsh pony and Cob Society and it decribes the breed :) Its a bit to read, sorry

Section C is the Welsh Pony of Cob Type and Section D is the Welsh Cob. The main difference is size: Section C's do not exceed 13.2 h.h. (137.2 cms) while Section D's are larger.

Section C

Section D

Section C: The Welsh Pony of Cob Type
    The Welsh Pony of Cob Type, Section C, is the stronger counterpart of the Welsh Pony, but with Cob blood.

Their true worth as a dual purpose animal has been fully realised in recent years, and their numbers have increased accordingly.

Active, surefooted and hardy, they are ideal for so many purposes both for adults and children.

Like all the Welsh Breeds they are natural jumpers and they also excel in harness — there are in fact few things that they cannot be used for.

The height should not exceed 13.2 h.h. (137.2 cms).

Section D: The Welsh Cob
    Aptly described as "the best ride and drive animal in the World", the Welsh Cob has been evolved throughout many centuries for his courage, tractability and powers of endurance.

The general character is the embodiment of strength, hardiness and agility. the head shows great quality with Pony character: bold prominent eyes, a broad forehead and neat, well set ears. The body must be deep, on strong limbs with good "hard wearing" joints and an abundance of flat bone. Action must be straight, free and forceful, the knees should be bent and then the whole foreleg extended from the shoulders as far as possible in all paces, with the hocks well flexed, producing powerful leverage.

The Welsh Cob is a good hunter and a most competent performer in all competitive sports. In recent years they have had great success in the international driving world. Their abilities in all spheres are now fully recognised throughout the world.

The height should exceed 13.2 h.h. (137 cms): no upper limit.

Detailed Description of Sections C and D
    General Character
    Strong, hardy and active, with pony character and as much substance as possible

Colour
    Any colour, except piebald and skewbald

Head
    Full of quality and pony character. A coarse head and Roman nose are most objectionable

Eyes
    Bold, prominent and set widely apart

Ears
    Neat and well set

Neck
    Lengthy and well carried. Moderately lean in the case of mares, but inclined to be cresty in the case of mature stallions

Shoulders
    Strong but well laid back

Forelegs
    Set square and not tied in at the elbows. Long, strong forearms. Knees well developed with an abundance of bone below them. Pasterns of proportionate slope and length. Feet well-shaped. Hoofs dense. When in the rough, a moderate quantity of silky feather is not objected to but coarse, wiry hair is a definite objection.

Middlepiece
    Back and loins, muscular, strong and well-coupled. Deep through the heart and well-ribbed up.

Hind Quarters
    Lengthy and strong. Ragged or drooping quarters are objectionable. Tail well-set on.

Hind Legs
    Second thighs, strong and muscular. Hocks, large, flat and clean, with points prominent, turning neither inward nor outwards. The hind legs must not be too bent and the hock not set behind a line falling from the point of the quarter to the fetlock joint. Pasterns of proportionate slope and length. Feet well-shaped. Hoofs dense.

Action
    Free, true and forcible. The knee should be bent and the whole foreleg should be extended straight from the shoulder and as far forward as possible in the trot. Hocks flexed under the body with straight and powerful leverage.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. lucas and brad

lucas and brad Well-known Member

Hahaha my friend has a 15.3hh PURE welsh section D in England! They are breeding them quite large over there:p

10. SammieJ

SammieJ New Member

mine welsh fellow is at 14.3 atm and is still growing.
    just gone 2 :)

11. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

If only..................I looking for around 17hh :D

12. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

my friend is breeding welshies!!!! she's breeding them at the height ppl have a hard time finding the right welsh at that hieght or something like that!!!! she's aiming 2 breed them around 14hh!? i'm pretty sure!!! she's been offered a lot of money from one of her chestnut geldings and a lot of ppl are interested in her chestnut filly(mind you i'd say she's about three now. . . . a bit 2 old for a filly but oh well!!!!) =)

. . . just going off the topic. . . . by accident!!!!!! :)*:eek::)*

13. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

I'm looking for one between 13.2 to 15hhs, as I'm a shortie. Hopefully one comes along soon :):)

14. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

When I was looking around for a horse before I bought Benny I looked into buying a welsh cob but found that within my price range at the time they were too young and didn't have the education and experience I wanted and the rare, hard to find educated and older ones were way out of my price range. Mind you, now I only have the one horse and therefore lower associated costs I could afford a more expensive horse. Wouldn't say no to one if it popped up on the radar if it was special enough to replace Benny.

15. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

My friend knows a lady whose pure welsh cob did very well in the Official Show hunter classes a few years back. Qualified for GN **)

16. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

if you think they cant do dressage go google or youtube north forks cardi :)