Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Late Starter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

I've been having a discussion with a couple of people lately around welsh cobs and showing and am interested to know what your views are (particularly any judges)...

As they are a stockier build, I presume in the official ring they would be more your show hunter and working hunter type rather than a hack but if you were in the unofficial ring where classes don't seem to be separated the same could you take a cob in all the classes (in line with height, age etc of course) - and would you take them in all classes whether you thought your horse was that "type"?

Given their different movement from say a thoroughbred type horse do you think a cob would make a good dressage horse (someone told me today that they wouldn't do much good)?

Do you think in your experience there is any particular breed that stands out from others as a good allrounder i.e. for jumping, dressage and showing or do you think certain breeds have a greater leaning towards a particular discipline (i.e. I know Arabs seem to be popular/"built" for endurance)?

Your thoughts on these?

2. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

Webby should be able to help! She has lovely cobs!
    I really really want one... just have to wait til bubs is abit older :)

IMO - yes they are more hunter type. But you could dabble in all things unofficial
    Have seen some in the Dressage arena (namely Sharon Jarvis's Stallion pictured below) and they have done well - depends what level you wish to compete

I think they are a good all round type of breed - but again, I dont have first hand experience - just drool from the side lines!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

A friend showed a very lovely chestnut cob at Canning Districts earlier in the year. He was in Official and was either champ or res hunter (can't remember which) Was awesome watching a big cob in full flight at the gallop**)

4. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

He is gorgeous, have seen him in action. In my biased opinion the welsh cobs have great movement, make good allrounders i.e eventing, dressage etc. One of the demo horses at the Phillipe Karl clinic was a welsh cob/TB! I really would love to own one.

5. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

The breed that stands out amongst the others is the TB BUT mainly for the reason that they are a cheap horse to buy OTT and are a dime a dozen. Conformation and movement wise most other breeds can match the TB and there is absolutely no reason why a welsh cob cannot match it with the best of them.
    Go for it i say, they are a good all round horse that can turn their hand to anything, great for dressage, jumping, eventing, games,hacking and harness.
    When im judging, i love seeing other breeds out and about hacking, it is a breath of fresh air.
    good luck to you.

6. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

What a gorgeous stallion he is (will have to point that out to the person that mentioned cobs wouldn't cut it in dressage :D... in a nice way though).

I know a few people now that own cobs and I love them too (and most have a fantastic temperament) but I find it interesting how some people form their opinions on breeds that they may not have had firsthand dealings with or because that breed's particular movement doesn't take their fancy ;).

Just to add another question into the mix... since I first started looking to buy a pony back when we decided it was time to get one for Jacinta I've been told to steer clear of "chestnut mares"; why is that, where does the "reputation" come from and is it a deserved one? (sorry that's a few more than just one more question :p).

Mods feel free to move this thread if I should have placed it in open discussions.

7. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Well i would love to show a Gypsy cob, i would have no problem showing it in the official ring. Obviously it wouldnt be every judges cup a tea, but i would just love to ride one soooo much i wouldnt care ....

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Chestnut mare...

Hah! These are swear words in our house!!

Every one I have had anything to do with in the past 30+ years has damaged me or mine in some way.

But I am sure that is just a personal finding...LOL

9. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

chestnut mares have a reputation for being hot headed.

I think it comes from the human variety, they are meant to be firey (red heads).

My chestnut girl is placid as.:)

10. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I love the Cobs as you have seen. I'll be doing everything with mine. I myself don't do official but dressage is on the cards.

Chestnut mares= Red heads. Personal preference but I have not had good one's here.

11. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

lol OBHH!!!!

i was told that welsh cobs (the stocky ones) weren't allowed any more in the hack ring even in hunter but i do not believe this and i don't know why or who told me this!!!!! but i love those stocky cobs and there should be a seperate class for them in hacking!!! my friend loves hacking and dressage and she has a cob and we went 2 a show 2gether and we were in the same hunter class and i got chosen instead of her and i was riding a riding pony!!!! they don't often get looked at so would be best showed in breeding but then thats my opinion. i think taffy( my friends cob) would make a fab dressage horse in time because he is smart and willing and learnt that from another friend with a welsh cob who also has a smart willing young 1 as well!!!!! taffy has the best jumping ability so this decides my opinion in a welsh cob..... a very good all-rounder!!!!! but i don't know much about them and i'm only 14 so this is my opinion!!!!!! . . . so i'll admit this 4 once. . . . i don't know that much!!!!!:)*

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Any horse of any breed or type is "allowed" in the hack ring in hunter/showhorse. It will of course come down to correctness, and the judges preference on the day**)

13. Spring

Spring Active Member

There was an absolutely gorgeous smutty palomino cob stallion at the dressage Gala a few weeks back. Looked very quiet and rideable! I asked her if I could take him home but it seemed she liked him just as much :)

14. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Awww my little chestnut 2yo filly has the most beautiful cruisy temperament ever. If you find one you like, don't let it put you off :)

As for Welsh Cobs, I love them. Every judge is going to have their preferences, that is the sport we choose. Follow your heart :)

15. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I love cobs as well and tend to go more towards the stockier built horses, but an official hack is supposed to be a certain type and a hunter is supposed to be a certain type.

Thats why I bred Ally, Trakehner, as I really want to compete in working hunter/show hunter classes as well as eventing.

16. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Late Starter - From my experience in humans Red heads can be a bit sensetive. In horses some of my best beginner horses have been "Chestnut Mares"

I suppose it is a bit like, dont buy a horse with 4 white socks it will have weak feet. Well i have several here with white feet and they have never had a lame day and never had shoes ever.

17. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Love the welsh cobs!

As for the chestnut mares thing - what a stereotype! ANY mare has the potential to be crabby etc, just like us females! Bit like saying all blondes are dumb!

I have a hot head difficult little mare, she's not chestnut. It's up to the individual mare, something you could easily suss out if you went and rode/visited a potential horse a few times before buying...

18. Cheveley Park

Cheveley Park New Member

Welsh Cobs Are Fantastic!!!!

I have a Welsh Cob Stallion and he competes offically in Dressage and does extremly well. I have also competed unoffically in the Show Hunter classes where he has claimed Champion and the judges love him!! I'll be competing him Offically in Hunter classes next year.
    He does extremly well at Breed shows and always gets Supreme Champion Inhand and under saddle and then places in the Top 5 Supreme of Supreme.

I think they are a fantastic breed and very competitive in every equestrian field, wouldn't own anything else!!!:)

19. lucas and brad

lucas and brad Well-known Member

I own 2 welsh cobs and i ride a stallion for a stud. I absolutely love them! The stallion i ride goes up against all the show ponies/horses at breed shows in supreme and supreme and always gets placed top 5, runner up or supreme both inhand and ridden! Take the Gosnells winter showcase for example, i rode him in grand champion ridden against those fantastic HOTY horses and he placed first runner up, at bibs and booties he was awarded best 3yo and supreme of supreme. I would say the judges definitely like seeing the welsh cobs out there competing. Hopefully i'll be doing official show hunter with him next yr and official dressage. The cobs definitely give the warmbloods a run for their money! When my welsh cobs are old enough to be ridden, they'll be doing everything! I think it makes a nice change for a judge to see a welsh cob in the line up, the cobs stand out against the show horses.

20. lucas and brad

lucas and brad Well-known Member

That would of been Trapalanda Downs Eldorado, Cheverley Parks boy:)* He sure is absolutely gorgeous, and always stands out in a crowd!