Your opinion on the BEST fencing for Horses...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by CDA, May 23, 2010.

1. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Well,

finally, after years of begging and pleading, the family 'block' in banjup will soon be home to my training business.

My mum has finally agreed to letting me build things on her 5 acre block, as she is seeing how much i am struggling agisting my stallion.

Soo...

We have ordered 'The Shed' 12x12m, so that will comprise of 6 stables of 4x4m each.

Now i need help with suggestions for fencing. I really do not want to use wood, but at the end of the day, it needs to be cost effective, and SAFE. To start with, we will have just 2 or 3 horses on the property, so only need to do 3 paddocks.

What does everyone think about suitable types of fencing? any one had any personal experiences they wish to share????

2. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

i found that i have a post and that springy white horse plastic wire externally, its bright and visable. then a foot n bit off that there is the starpickets with electric and caps - my escape artist pony even stays away from this set up! mine dont go near the pickets with the electric so i find them safe, i dont ride near them - once again safe, and i dont have horses on the other side of fence to tempt them to play over... tho with a stallion you may want something sturdier... mayb wooden posts with the electric? u just nail those insulator thingys to the wood.

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ive seen damage from all sorts of fencing

wire tends to slice
    barbed well thats a no no anyway
    sheep fencing (ringlock the one with the bigger holes) some silly horses put their feet in there
    wood busts them up big time if they go through it (met a horse who broke its nasal cavity, had a bone peice floating behind the eye and very brusied and sore)

our stables have wooden fencing with the top post being wood and the bottoms the white sighter wire. with electric wire (which we are soon to replace because its a bit scrappy) then the foaling yard that was already made up has wooden top post and chicken wire down to the ground to keep babies in

one paddock is the foal paddock and has the chicken wire and electric on the top.

the rest of the paddocks are sighter wire, wire and wooden posts and electric wire is held out from the main fence in 2 or 3 of the paddocks.

we also have a 1m internal fence on our paddocks that share the boundary with the back neighbours as they have a little shitland stallion.

4. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

I have got internal fencing all around and that is pine posts with a top plasticy sighter wire running thru the posts, then two rows of electric with the insulators that nail into the posts. If done correctly to start with can last years. Some of mine have been in place 10 years and have just needed tightening twice. I also have a earth wire stapled onto the posts as in summer the electrics don't give a big enough shock without it as it is really dry. Speedrite came out and advised us on what to do. The only damage I've had is when a tree came down on it. The horses have a lot of respect for it.

Good luck.

5. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Anyone have any experience with the 'horse rail' fencing???

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

It goes saggy and looks crap after a bit. Horse people in general are very lax when it comes to maintenance and this is a product that needs maintaining.

LOL look at the bit that is used at the woodchip warmup area outside the indoor arena at the sec.

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I still think the best thing to use for horse fencing is posts with the strong small ringlock (Equimesh :confused:';') It's strong, horses can't put their foot through it. and its durable.

Only thing that might be a problem is if you have shod horses. I would still use a standoff electric with it though - horse rail

The expensive horse rail doesn't sag if you maintain it, but personally I think people use it because it looks pretty - doesn't take much for a horse to push a panel out so you should electrify it anyway, so you may aswell save the $$$ and use different fencing as its just as effective.

My tip is do it properly the first time, I ended up spending a bit on fencing at my mums place, but it wasn't the best (pickets and turbo braid), may aswell have spent a bit extra and gone with hardy (unmoveable) posts and something stronger than turbo braid - snaps easy under pressure.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Personally when we finally buy we'll have solid steel fencing everywhere. Probably send me bankrupt but its my dream to do it over time, paddock by paddock.

I don't want any wire fullstop unless its one strand of electric ontop.

One of mind has proven that even electrical braided stuff its very dangerous.

9. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

I have a top 40mm tape and to lines of electrobraid. Top should be electrified but i havent gotten around to it so it keeps losing tention due to horse leaning over it. but other than that. i think it is pretty good stuff. Wouldnt be suitable for foals though.

Im making another paddock and will most likely be doing the same thing. Iwill be getting a portable elec fence so it can go on the paddock that has the horse in it. I like electric on anything. Even eood postt and rail otherwisse they lean on it and chew it and there goes your fencing!

10. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Anyone got experience with composite posts and/ or pvc Fencing????

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Im not sure what Antyk has at her place, but nothings going through it anytime soon. Ask her for advise.

12. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

I have the PVC fencing...Duralok.

Was expensive, but have not had one problem with it....have also got and electric strand running around the top as I have one horse that leans terribly on fences.

I would definitely go for this again...very visual at night....looks great and is safe. BUT you must get someone that knows what they are doing to install it....coz it can look like crap if not levelled properly and not double crimped on the ends to keep the rails in.

13. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Soo...

I WAS thinking composite plastic posts which supposedly last for 50 years, teamed with horserail, but now thinking PVC...

I think, unfortunatly, steel will be too expensive.

14. pso

pso Gold Member

I used steel for yards cos it was cheaper than anything else!!!! (look in the quokka;) ) And have pine posts with borderline for the other fences...ringlock and electric on the boundary.

15. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have seen awful injuried from wooden post adn rail. Sudden death or awful injury.

Plain wire is an effective guilletine, barb is horrible.

That elastic sighter wire teaches the horses to be disrespectful of fences.

Horse rail can look crappy if repaired by someone who doesn;t know how to do it. It does seem to be a relatively safe system although I have seen a hrose get tangled in a fence that was horse rail at the top and wire below.

I think the reality is that anything has the potential for injury. If I had unlimited money then I would be inclined to go for diamond mesh or something strong that the horses couldn't get thier legs through.

Or a good strong outer fence and an eletric inner wire to keep them off teh outer.

16. Follyfoot

Follyfoot New Member

After much discussion with t.o.h. I decided to use the recycled plastic poles with electrified top of 40mm tape & two rows of electrobraid. Fantastic product, yes it is more expensive than pine poles but at the end of the day I have I have poles that horses do not chew, does not warp/split & needs no maintenance. Poles look really good from an aesthetic point of view. Plus the environment is winning too. Have had two different horses in the paddocks and both have respected the fencing.
    Product is really easy to work with & can easily be installed by do it yourselfers, like I was.