your opinion on my horses feed

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Starbe, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering your opinion on what my horse is fed. anything obvious missing? I've only just got him and kept the feed the same. he lost weight a little since i started working him after he had done nothing, but i just increased his portions and seems to be improving.

He is paddocked during the day
    He gets hay, chaff & lucerne chaff
    1lr size scoop of oats
    1lr scoop of grower weaner

When then grower weaner was swapped to pony cubes he went nutty. :)

ta

2. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Is he fed twice a day? If you weighed his feed that would be better. hmmm maybe mineral and vit suplement?

3. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

If he seems to be going fine on it..No need to change it..

But mayb add a vit/min supp..

My Mare(10yr old) is on
    Chaff
    Lucern
    2 x Hand full Of Pellets
    Groom
    1 x Bicky of hay(at night)
    This feed fills a Rubber bucket 3/4 full
    Paddocked during day
    She has had her feeds reduced due to getting a tad over weight

And my gelding(6month old) is on
    Chaff
    Lucern
    Hand full Of Pellets
    Groom
    Livamol
    This feed fills a Small Bucket(Small Groom size bucket)
    1 x Bicky of hay(at night)
    Paddocked during day

Of course there amounts a slightly different.And only get hard feed once a day(at night)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Just adding.... if you do a search and have a read what other people are feeding according to their horses work and lifestyles you can get some ideas.

5. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

thanks guys. i suppose the main thing is when i always had horses and ponys, i fed coolmax with lots of roughage.. so its meant to be balanced.

i know nothing about grower weaners, or oats.. and wondering if i should be trying to slowly add somethign to his feed... or change to somehtign else

He does seem happy on his feed. Just wondering fi there is somethign obvious im missing :) Will add a mineral lick to his stable when he moves home tomorrow :)

6. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

If his energy levels are good etc i wouldnt go changing it...

Could change the weaner pellets to another type of pellet if u wish.

Min Blocks are good..

But i would also add a vit/min sup into his feed as well..

Livamol,Equilibrium(sp),equimin,groom are some good ones..

7. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

if i can keep it the same (and he keeps putting on the pounds).. great :)

whats the diff between weaner pellets and pony cubes? anyone know what he had a massive personallity change when he went on pony cubes?

8. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

are you feeding coolmax as well as weaner?? cos id get rid of weaner and stay on coolmax and increase the coolmax if hes losing some weight with more work. Coolmax is a complete feed if feeding at recommended dose so i wouldnt worry about adding any vit/mins coz your doubling up and over spending on things you dont need :)

9. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

no ren. no coolmax.

recently the guy who runs the agistment added pc instead of weaner, and he went loopy, so straight back to weaner.

unsure if coolmax will do the same as pc or not

10. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

sorry i must of confused it with something else hehehehe coolmax is a cool energy that isnt meant to heat up horses. i used it on my purebred arab without any problems when he was in work

11. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

What height, weight, breed and age is he??

Have his teeth been done lately professionally and is his worming up to date??

12. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

he's 10yrs old, tb 16.1hh

and he is due for teeth and worming now, but not out of date with either of them.

13. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

If he is doing well enough on this, keep it that way. Just add a min supp like Equilibrium, Equi-Min or Cell Provide, and keep the hay coming!

If you bump up the work, you could try adding some copra instead of more grain, to ensure he keeps the weight on.:D :))

14. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

thanks caroline (and everyone else)

not knowing a lot about feed, i just wanted to make sure there wasnt something obvious thing he was lacking, and i was wondering if adding copra would be suitable.

Like someone else suggested,i had a look at some of what other people were feeding too which gave me a better idea :) Im going to add a vit/min suppliment and maybe copra once he is settled at his new place

Ta