Your first green horse?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Robot, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Robot

Robot New Member

I'm considering getting my first green horse (will be my third horse) a pony to bring on and maybe sell so I was wondering what everyone roses green horse experiences have been?
    Did you buy something unbroken or green broke n?
    Breakers or diy?
    Is it worth it?
    What's the biggest hurdles in having a green horse?

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I grew up on freshly broken in ponies that belonged to clients. Mum's been starting horses for the last 30 odd years and I'm only 23 so yeah, I haven't really known any different.

The biggest hurdle with a freshly broken in horse is that it's the next rider after the breaker that makes or breaks the horse. My advice is that if you get a horse from the breakers is to go back to the breaker and have a few lessons with that horse. We rarely let a horse go home to it's owner until their owner had come and had a few lessons on it first. This allowed us to see what the owner was like and if need be, make a few changes to what we'd done ie idiot proof the horse a bit more.

I have started a few horses myself and then seen them hooning around at pony club doing heaps of things that the horse certainly wasn't doing when it left the yards at home. You've got to be consistent and be aware that they are young, they are fresh and they aren't as trust worthy as a horse who has had a few years work. Don't expect too much in the early stages but by no means let them get away with stuff because 'they're just a baby'. As soon as you take this attitude and let them get away with a few things you've lost them. What I mean by don't expect too much is that don't expect them to be consistent on the bit and doing everything an older horse does.

Always make sure your basics are still there before going to something new. It's your basics that you build on. Umm at this hour of the night I really can't think of too much more off the top of my head nor how to put it into understandable written English. Hope that's a bit of a start for you anyway.

3. sil

sil Gold Member

Ride them like an old nag but never forget they are young and impressionable.

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

haha, i'm poster girl for bad_riding. i did it badly!

11 yrs old, my dad buys a 'surprise' horse who happens to be in foal.
    12 yrs old - foal is born

over the next two ish years, i mouth it, probably badly, teach it to lead, tie up, get on float etc and so on.

back it (badly) when it's about 2.5. just sit on it & ride it around round yard. the first time he had someone on his back was TERRIBLE but i'm glad he didn't hold it against me (this is why unsupervised teenagers probably aren't the best idea for starting horses cos not all horses are so obliging & forgiving). so, first time - my friend came over after school & i said, "we should back blitzen." and she said, "okay" so we took him out to a HUGE paddock (great thinking, batman)! and she clambered aboard bareback & he promptly went !@#!@! and pigrooted her off. yeah, we were clever. but we did it again & he was fine & then after that i did it much more sensibly, just getting on and off & swinging myself around in the RY.

when he was 3, started taking him out to the arena & getting him to follow other horses around etc. then 6 months off.

took him to pony club when i was 16ish. had a few issues, can't remember clearly what they were - probably lack of forwards & the fact i fell off every ride (unbalanced, whatever). so got private lessons from a dressage instructor.

and never looked back. he became my best friend & companion for the next 12 years. had to go to uni in the middle of it, which spoiled our planned world domination. moved him out to the desert & then to perth when i finished my first posting.

it was a wonderful, amazing experience & the bond was fantastic. he's retired now on another stockie's farm & i miss him every day.

now that i'm significantly older & a LOT more experienced i'd like to have a go with another baby, but i would probably do it under a lot of guidance from my instructor or whoever. riding to me is a lot more now than just plunking around pony club or mustering sheep. i just know so much more about riding effectively, i would definitely want to do it properly & not just hit and miss like my first time, where i was blessed with such a kind hearted & obliging horse.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. Sportsmans Image

Sportsmans Image Active Member

my first lease was a schoolmaster. i found him easy so i wanted a challenge.
    so with limited funds my first horse was a green stb. it was great. i had many people around me that i could ask opinions and advice. i was also 14*#). had him for a year taught him the basics is now at a great home.
    in the middle of last year, when i still had my stb, i was offered a free pony that had been broken in for a couple of weeks then left for a year. owner wouldnt sell to me directly, because of my age, so i went part ownership with the owner of my agistment center, a trainer. she payed for everything and i did all the work because this girl was so relaxed with a person on her back. i also had an instructors help a couple of times and developed a "safety blanket" for when she got a bit forward. she is going well and will be sold shortly.

i think green horses are great to get as you can teach them from the start how to communicate with YOU, ad well as you learn how tho communicate with THEM, what makes them tic :). we all use slightly different aids, this is what i believe.
    there will be tough times however but patience is the key. i am not a professional, this is my opinion. i am now 15:D

riding horses is like a religion

6. elle85

elle85 New Member

6 months ago i purchased my first green horse, the third horse ive owned. i decided from day one i wanted to do it properly so organised 2 x half hour lessons per week. i try not to ride him without my instructor there as i dont want to stuff him up as hes such a lovely horse. the rest of the week i lunge him to help him with his balance without me interferring with him and also ground work. so far we are just working on going forward, straight and keeping a nice rhythm. also doing lots of trot poles and starting to get him flexing on the circle. although its hard, i try not to even think about getting him working in a frame just yet. the most important thing is to get the basics in place. i think one of the most important things for me was finding a horse with a lovely temperament. hes super quiet, no bucking, pigrooting, etc. he's such a gentleman and im super happy with our progress. i'd suggest if its your first green horse to buy one that has already been broken in, rather than doing it yourself, and you can work from there.
    good luck!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  7. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

My first green-broke horse is actually my first horse. I got Latte a bit over 18 months ago and he had at the time been broken in about 7 weeks. It didn't go so great to begin with - he was brilliant when we tried him out, good when we got him home, but it went downhill fast because I lacked the knowledge and control to work with such a green horse.

Now, he is still green, still a little unbalanced (he is MUCH better than he was when I started to bring him back into work though), but he is overall a horse that I am having no real problems with. What I have learned from Latte and, during Latte's spell, Edward, will make the next green horse much more successful - but I'm still not sure that I'm ready to break my own in, or have a horse broken by a professional and then handed to me. Something with hours under saddle but that isn't very educated at all (like Edward was when we got him) would work great depending on temperament, or a very very select few fresh breakers.

8. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

My first green horse was my first and he was a stubborn little ott stb. I actually taught him bugger all as at 13 all i wanted was to have fun and boy did I!!. He was the best horse. Jumped anything, double dink at the beach, great to gallop flat out etc.

I did have trouble with him at one stage and he was bucking on me whenever he passed the gate. I had lessons from a friend and after 2 lessons I have learnt how to stop him. It worked out a good learning curve. He gave me confidence

I never did do much with him in the arena though he cantered on both leads after a bit of work and round up if asked otherwise long and low was his style.

He was a super first horse and i miss him. If i could have him back i would but people that were supposibly our friends had him on a verbal agreement lease and sold him without permission. I didnt have papers and i couldnt do anything :(

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I had no idea what GREEN really is until riding my 3 year old freshly broken pony. My goodness they are unbalance and can really know nothing!

It's fun, but it takes a lot of dedication to ensure you do everything RIGHT. My aim is to get a really sensitive, responsive horse, so I think everything through before doing it and make my aids as light as possible - whereas on my more "educated" mare I have to make my aids a bit firmer due to being duller, which is something I'd like to avoid.

10. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

My first green one would have been when i was about 11/12. I had no pony to ride so my instructor at the time offered her sons little pony who had a thing for pigrooting. He was great fun and i was always watched when riding him

I broke my first pony in 2/3 yrs ago. So i would have been 14/15 yrs. I was lucky to have a sweet pony that we had bred so she was used to strange things being sat on her (Sisters plush monkey :p) and bags ect. I broke her in over about 6 months +. from mouthing, backing and then propper riding. She was incredibly honest and unflappable. I never got a buck or anything dirty from her. The only time she was a bit up her self was when we took her out to darling downs and she was in season, it all was a bit much. She has since sold to a riding school very local to us :) I dont have a round yard at home so all work was in the unfenced arena, i had someone leading me while i was teaching her aids.

Im currently backing my 3y.o clydie cross, but i dont plan to break him in untill he is 4yrs (November) So he will be having lots of breaks to mature more, and between now and then he can be mouthed and have little walks around while we teach him aids :)

It is such a awsome feeling when you sit on your horse for the first time, and even better when they stand there with there head down relaxed :)