Your first 'green' broken horse

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Leon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

2. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Hi guys,

How are all your ponies going?

My little fella has had some time off due to knocking his leg and resulting in a bony change on his pastern but we are getting slowly back into work now. The other day I took him out when he hadnt been out in months and hadnt been ridden in about 5 weeks.. he was super.

Really enjoying my little fella :D

3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Your little guy is looking great in those last pics Leon. Is that at the August Adult riders at Peel? If so, I was there too, getting drenched, but having fun too. I will have to keep an eye out for you and say hi.:)*

4. Lucy11

Lucy11 Active Member

Good to see your boy going so well Leon! A credit to your hardwork no doubt! I have decided to sell my young girl, just because she is a bit small for me and too good to sit as a pretty paddock ornament. (I was hoping she would grow a bit more).

But I am very lucky to have been given the opportunity to purchase a purebred cleveland bay, who is MUCH bigger and better suited. Will have to get some pictures and progress as I get him out and about. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. bigredeventer

bigredeventer New Member

Good to hear he is on the mend Leon. You sound really happy with him :)

This is my big boy (Holsteiner). Decided it was best to enlist a pro to help us along for a bit with some of the training so he made his way off to bootcamp yesterday :)

[​IMG]
    sorry if pic is hooogee!

6. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

I think that was the August rally Deb and yes very wet! Hoping to be at the October one with better weather so come say hi @)

Hard decision I can imagine Lucy- I have a friend looking for a youngster, PM me with her details if you want me to pass them on :)

BRE- very nice looking horse! Where did you send him for bootcamp?

7. bigredeventer

bigredeventer New Member

Thanks Leon, he is a princess lol gone to Rick Dabner :)

8. Jess Ware

Jess Ware New Member

Hi guys!
    ben a while but i thought id clog up the thread with a few pics..

rossi and i have been doing great!! he is constantly exceeding my expectations;
    we've ticked alot of boxed this month with our first in hand show, our first beach visit, our first PC training day & next weekend will be our first ridden show!

i always thought at my first show i would be that girl chasing her spooky runaway horse across the grounds... Ross boy was more calm that i was i think. standing there not worrying about a thing while my heart is going a million miles an hour! we done well enough with our rubbed out mane and half a$$ed attempt at braids to get our first blue ribbon! yay!

PC was just yesterday, i've never jumped before so it was pretty nerve wrecking just heading over the little E grade jumps! but he was a gem ad i got the hang of it

I'm not going to get into details over the beach... ill just say it is the most amazing fun iv had ever! didnt think id be riding bareback and in a halter for a very long time!

glad to see everyone is going well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

He looks great Jess **) I'll keep an eye out for you next weekend, this will be mine and Teddy's first foray in to hacking and so far all this primping and preening is crazy!

Anyway, I has sent Delta back to the trainers and finally got her home on Saturday. I rode her yesterday and the hubby took some pics and videos for me to disect afterwards and the thing I noticed the most is that 1) I hate watching myself ride 2) I think Delta hates the way my hands move so much (I'm locking my elbows badly) and 3) even though she feels like a rocket ready to explode she looks nice and relaxed and responsive, so I guess I just have a bit of work to do getting used to the Friesian movement and power!

[​IMG]

10. beau

beau Well-known Member

I can brag a little in this one :), my youngster Part Fries went to his first Ag show, and got Supreme Exhibit (yes he was the only one in his class but I dont care he was a superstar), 3rd best presented and 2nd in his ridden - he stood by the float all day not worried at all, so say a proud mum is an understatement :) so happy with how he is going.

11. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Been a few months since I last updated!

My fella made a full recovery and last xray showed it had healed very well so we started back up with the work.

Not on my home computer so cant update pics but will be sure to do it soon! I think since we have done our first show under saddle (encouragement walk/trot ring), adult riders fun day which included our first little SJ round.

Plenty of bush rides and slowly getting more brave on his own although I am still limiting how far we go on our own for our safety. Lots of beach rides over summer and our first trot and attempted canter bareback on the beach.

Have kicked back up the lessons and had our first jumping lesson the other day. Also did our first cross country training and had a blast! Murph showed he is a brave little soul and enjoys jumping.

Soon to do our first official cross country training day, excited and nervous! He had his 4th birthday in November and now owns his own dressage saddle and jump saddle which is getting fitted next week.

He is floating SO much better with my new float and I am starting to see this little mature horse coming through.

How is everyone travelling with their green horses?

12. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Forgot to mention he is officially a year under saddle now! But probably only half of that really serious riding time as I gave him a spell after being started.