Your Favourite Race Horse of ALL TIME?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Marianne, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

He got the Ivory part from his dam, Ivory Truckey, his daddy was Kiev Hanover were he got his stablename Kiev. Is your boy a tb coz Kiev is a stb.

Jez your absolutely right about it being no feeling like it! I only ever did stable hand duties on the weekend but when one of the horses raced were I worked it was a great feeling. Especially my favourite boy Ivory Trader, it was definately a very special night when he raced and there was no better feeling when he came 2nd in the Derby!

One of my favourite days of the year is Melbourne Cup day, I normally take the day off work but last year I made the mistake of going to work and of course things didnt go to plan so I didnt get to go upstairs to watch it, then typical right when it started a customer walked in -now seriously who is out doing things on Melbourne Cup day right on race time!! You wont see me at work on another Melbourne cup day again!

Cheers

Bec

2. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Its wierd hey Ace...did you know theres a very important conference on er...um...climate change policies impacting on the emu egg industry's economic future...on melb cup day??

Seems to be a conf. in melb every melb cup day...thats my excuse

3. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Just make it a national public holday already, save alot of sick days thats for sure! Do you go to Flemington every year? If so im so jealous! My folks went last year and im still not talking to them haha

Cheers

Bec

4. Jez

Jez Gold Member

I have made it for the last 5 years barring one where i simply couldnt get away from work.......i fully agree, it should be a national holiday - no one is interested in working everyone should be out partying or having cup at home luncheons with friends...if it was important enough for our government to organise wire broadcasts to our troops in WW1, WW2 and every other bloody war surely its THE AUSTRALIAN sporting day of the year..

BTW - If anyone is interested google the melbourne cup club and join online, its free and you get news snippets..just nice to support this aussie institution.

5. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Everyone is interested except that one customer I had last year! haha
    How exciting, would be even better to watch it there!
    Thanks for the website will definately check it out.

Cheers

Bec

6. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

Well for me PHARLAP all the way!! Makybe Diva...er..I dunno...I just disagree with people comparing her to Phar Lap and trying to make him seem less than what he really is.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Scenic Shot in the Melbourne Cup this year - got a piccie of him from the newspaper :D He's cute. (yea yea I know - racehorses aren't cute...they're fast....) :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  7. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

I checked out that website :) Damien Oliver's a champ - I watched his ride in the BMW Cup :) Mum and Dad like him...*ahem* He's the only one they know *ahem* :D

8. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Yesss - Lets not forget Takeover Target - what a horse, what a story - seasoned old campaigner now still putting in a fine show at ROYAL ASCOT for his cab driving owner who lived in a caravan when he bought him....one more reason i love racing, those rags to riches stories.

9. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Yes mine would have to the great Desert Orchid......he was really a one off.

10. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Well its going back a bit but I would have to say Kingston Town. I saw him when he raced in Perth and I cried. Lol. I was a huge TJ Smith fan as well.
    Havent been to the races in ages. Will have to go. :))

11. coldie07

coldie07 Well-known Member

my fav race horses ever!!!!!

my 2 fav racehorse in the world are BARBARO and MAKYBE DIVA
    R.I.P barbaro
    he was one of the best racers around such a tragedy, the way he ended up!
    will always love him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but my most fav is makybe diva got loads of stuff on her got posters the works lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry but i cant help it lol
    [​IMG]
    and i can never forget dear old phar lap!! he was awesum!!!
    bec

12. mini mad

mini mad Guest

two of my favourite gallopers have to be gunsynd and bonecrusher...i used to strap bonecrusher when he came to australia,,,big rangy chestnut that would only settle before a race if i sang him lullaby,s...very embarrassing as i can,t sing ..so you can imagine the other strappers and trainers faces when they,d walk past our stall...he was so sweet a child could have handled him..very sad saying goodbye to him when he flew home to new zealand...

13. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

"What a nuisance" made loads of $$ when he won the cup had been betting on him up in PNG and had a bet for old times sake and he came in!!!!

14. arabianluvva

arabianluvva New Member

Favourite racehorse of all time

Hi all, :D
    For me it would be a toss up between Manikato and Dulcify....As a young girl I cried for a week when dulcify was destroyed after the Melbourne cup that Hyperno won.....:(

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Any horse that wins me $$ at the races! :D

16. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

PHARLAP all the way!!!(love him to bits, just ask Jezzy!! haha)

Hey Liza, Rogan Josh was living at my Dads pub for a while, so people could come and see him. When he won the Melbourne Cup, I didn't even know that a WA horse was racing. How embarrassed did I feel???!!! When I realized the enormity of his win, my pride for WA was enormous.**)

17. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Ahhh..I know your dads pub LOL..i gave Roges a pat or two there over the years!