Your favourite race finish

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ace, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

What is your favourite all time race finish? I cant go past Might and Power and Doriemus in the Melbourne Cup but the one I could watch again and again is Rogan Josh winning his Melbourne Cup. You can just see him trying so hard to stay ahead of Central Park, gives me shivers when I watch it.

Cheers

Bec

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Does pacing count? I just love the race where Mount Eden won the miricle mile, coming from behind all the horses (he had a false start) and totally blitzing them. Im not really into racing, only looked into Mount Eden because he's a couple generations back in Buckley's pedigree - wow what a horse he was though!

3. Kasabealtaky

Kasabealtaky Active Member

my favourite was the cox plate with Lonhro, Northerly and Sunline racing it out. I was hard pressed to which horse i wanted to win, Lohnro for sentiments sake (i was and still am a big fan of Octagonal) or Northerly. I ended up going Northerly (came out of hospital just to go place the bet and watch the race). But still cheered all three on home.

4. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

this one - hehehehehe

[​IMG]

coz im in it!!!

5. Showie

Showie Active Member

The legendary Makybe Diva winning her third melbourne cup. Not so much the finish but the way she strutted so calmly on a loose rein (well the jock wasnt even holding the reins at some stages) past the thousands of screaming fans. She was a once in a lifetime racing legend and she knew it! Also loved watching my boy win the ora banda cup, red dirt flying, hooves pounding on the concrete hard track - such a little star!

6. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

I agree the Cox Plate with Sunline and Northerly is one of my faves also.

Another one which won't be memorable for anyone else is when our little 3 yo filly came from last on the home turn at Ascot and ran head and head down the straight with On The Record. OTR won and our filly came 2nd. I don't think I took a breath the whole way down the straight.

Julie

7. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

I live opposite where Miss Andretti was trained before Lee Freedman got her and my favouite was when i got to watch the race in England which she won with the man who bred & owner till she was a yearling!!!!!

8. Aussie Cowgirl

Aussie Cowgirl Active Member

I have a photo of my favourite one in the stable, His stable name is Juddy and he is a legend, a little chestnut with four white socks, his racing name is Fairest and Best.

In the photo he had his head down and bum up pushing through the field to the finish line. He won that race two days before my 18th birthday. No one else thought he could do it because he is so flashy (and he knows it). The boss and I did. haha.

He is the best little horse in the stables along with Royal Harvest.
    Anyone that goes to Ascot or belmont will know Royal Harvest. She trots in at the end of her race with the coolest look on her face. She is a nutter though and you are always trying to fight to get her out of the power lines. The brown mare likes to fly.

9. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Well obviously so far the battle down to the line between Doc and Girlplay (OK she got us but watch out were back better stronger faster!) but...

I flew to Melbourne to watch Media Puzzles win. I was on the same plane as a lot of perth racing people going over to support Pat and Damien Oliver after Jasons tragic death. I got to flemington and was overwhelmed by the amount of people cueiing to put bets on "Damien"...

When that gap opened up and Olly shot through the crowd ROARED and I looked to my left to see tears running down the faces of grown men and women and to my right to see more people crying - if that didnt move you, dont bother waiting for a heart transplant, i believe its customary to have one in the first place.

Others that spring to mind, of course Northerly and Sunline's duel in the Cox and an old one that ive watched with interest as Doc has a similar racing style...Bernborough coming from 27th last round the turn out 27 wide to storm home and win the Doomben 10000. THAT was an amazing run.

10. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

Does The Black Stallion count??? :D That was interesting - although I know they staged it to look like he won......I like to imagine it could really happen...

11. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Why not racing in all its codes including pacing and trotting is all about dreams.....without a dream may as well give up go grow potatoes somewhere :)

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Not a famous horse anything but I grew up with pacers and I will never forget how Lumatrol Son used to win his races. He would bring up the rear in every race, head out wide, scoot around em and bolt across the line leaving everything look like they were standing still. There isn't many horses that can sprint quick enough in the city races that could be dead last and bolt home like he did to win.

Sometimes it is more meaning to see one of your own "small time" horses winning than the big ones that every one remembers.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  13. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Ok - not sure how old this thread is but
    Media Puzzle's finish in the Melbourne Cup
    and
    Makybe Diva's third win - we were there for that and it was the most amazing thing!!! I remember someone called out "Who came second" and someone else replying "Who cares, she won!"!!!
    Incredible race - couldn't really see much of it, but saw the finish (we were right by the line). Still get goosebumps watching the replays!!

14. Wendycam1

Wendycam1 Well-known Member

Does anyone know when the 'Diva's' first foal is due?

15. megan

megan Well-known Member

etheral winning the melb cup.
    of course the diva.

16. Jez

Jez Gold Member

I believe the Diva will have already had a date with a fella so probably around september...might be wrong tho.

17. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Definatily Makybe Divas last melbourne cup.

Ps. Jez, check your Pm's.

18. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

i third that tarz, it was awsome, she absolutely loved to race and win, she struuted her stuff so calmly after the win and how they retired her so young but with a fabulous finish, she was a diva alright.......:))

19. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Makybe Diva is definatley in foal to Galileo and is due August 8th! If the foal was sold at the Magic Millions it would fetch from $4-5 million and set a new Australian record

Cheers

Bec

20. Jez

Jez Gold Member

But would you buy it Bec?

Have you heard (and it seems to ring true) that those great great mares seem to themselves not throw winners, its their daughters that do, the theory ive always been told is that they give it all out there on the track.

My breeding partners in some horses have a direct female line straight back to light fingers. Working on the premise that giantkilling mares do not throw winners but their female descendants do (and yeah, there have been winners from daughters and grandaughters) to them, colts are superfluous.

Its an interesting theory.