Your Expectations as a Competitor

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by rbk, Mar 2, 2012.

1. rbk

rbk Active Member

What are you MINIMUM expectations as a competitor in YOUR chosen field for YOUR entry fees?

I want to know the following ...

What do you EXPECT from the organiser that YOU are giving your hard earn dollars to?

What do YOU expect your judge to BE? (qualifications, notice given by club)

I am disheartened and on both sides here ... as a judge... a competitor... and someone who hands over their hard earned cash ....

What exactly do you expect you will get for your entry fee?

Lets face it, these days, with petrol and ground fees no matter what your discipline, you are lucky to get out of an event for $100 minimum.

What do you think the organising clubs minimum requirments are?
    Should they notify people who judge as a helper duty - BEFORE the morning of the event - whay tests they are judging?

these days you have to supply a helper at all events... so where does your money go? surely not to the local boys brigade for being runners at the event.

Yep - there are a lot of overheads now, rates, insurances affiliation fees it goes on and on - I am NOT disputing that - OR having a go at organising committees ...

The question is - WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS AS A COMPETITOR?

2. pso

pso Gold Member

ooo- fun!*#)

What I expect in dresgage- for my $70+ per test entry fee
    -qualified judges (regardless if it is official or training)
    -good riding surfaces in the arena AND the warm up (ie soft, even, no rocks, no post holes, no wood with nails, no fishing line, not slippery...could go on forever on the crap I've injured horses on riding at shows)
    - square corners on the arenas, markers in the correct places (hard to ride a test in a trapezoid arena)
    - dogs on leashes
    - open canteen or a drink machine
    - running water and if possible a wash bay/hose
    - toilets
    - if I pay a helper fee, I want to know that helpers are paid and/or fed
    - results posted within 2hrs
    - draw that runs reasonably to time and isnt changed on morning of show
    - and helpers/organisers who have some idea of the current rules!!!!!!!

3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

And for Official and Associate riders to be treated the same

4. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Lol well if they were treated the same then that would mean that associate riders would have to stop whining when official riders 'dared' to ride associate!!

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I expect (hope, pray) to be judged to the criteria of the class, fairly and honestly**)

6. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

In regards to pso's list

7. pso

pso Gold Member

YES!!!!!

official riders SHOULD be treated as well as associate riders! :)))

8. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I usually event. For my fee I'd like to have the draw out on the Monday prior to the competition date so I know when I need to be there on Saturday and can make arrangements if required to camp on Friday night.

I'd like to know on Monday what the helper job is and when it's required so I can make those arrangements as well.

I'd like to keep informed about whether things are running early/late so I don't get to have a 5 min warm up because the my arena is running 1/2 hour early.

I'd like good grounds to ride on that is safe, water, canteen, area for rolling horses, camping etc... Most grounds have all of this.

9. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

I agree with all your points above NA- only one other thing I think isn't too much to expect is a dressge judge that is appropriately qualified for that level/class, I pay my hard earned cash to complete and even if it's not Olympic levels I take what a dressage judge comments on and marks on board- therefore I would like someone that knows what they are talking about not someone they could just find on the day and has ridden a few tests before..

10. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

basically pso's list... and a judge who actually writes comments on my test :p you pay alot of money then no feedback?!

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

If you are refering to eventing tests, I have pencilled for a few now where the organisers tell the judges NOT to write comments to save time.....

12. abi

abi Well-known Member

for judge to know the breed he/she is judging
    decent ribbons not the felt crappy ones';'

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Like to the first bit but I am a traditionalist and Ag shows have always had felt...you can make pretty rugs out of them though :)

[​IMG]

14. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

I love the felt ribbons :D so much nicer than the other ones

then I really like rossettes as well but it seems they are not so many people seem to like them either

15. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

Yep same here.

Tho what annoyed me at serpi. was that everyone had between the rail way jump to the trees, so like a football oval to warm up then on other side of trees was a smaller warm up and the dressage rings. what annoyed me was riders who still werent on for another 5 plus riders were warming up near the dressage arenas it was like Grrr you have on the other side of the trees! :p

16. Knowing the name of the judge, well in advance.
    If judges are changed, that this is advertised.
    Qualified judges!!
    Different judges (who have not judged the exact same ring in the past 4-6 weeks).
    No fraternising with judges in the lead up to (or at) the show.
    Good, fast pencillers.
    Good even surface to ride on.
    Show committee use the correct rules and don't invent their own.
    Strict policing of height certificates.
    More random SWABBING :D
    Don't go overboard with champion sashes at small shows.
    Short sharp workouts.
    Keeping to time.
    Clear and regular announcements over the PA.
    Good food at reasonable prices.
    Good parking areas.
    Good (large) warmup arenas.
    People banned from double dipping at breed shows (do their breed and then AORB as the same breed with a different society).

17. Going round in circles

Going round in circles Active Member

At the moment I do breed show but will be moving to hacking.

I would like a judge that knows the breed requirments for the breed and judge accordingly.

I don't understand when a judge awards a badly behaving horse/pony a champion or supreme ribbon I thought the horse/pony have to behave aswell not just look pretty

18. SpArTiAn

yes eventing.... espec in the lower grades on a young horse, i would like feedback!

19. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Then I doubt it was the judges choice. It is bizarre pencilling when there are no comments PMSL

20. SpArTiAn

i can understand if it wasn't the judges choice... they are just doing what is asked. but we pay a hell of a lot of money (not just eventing - all disciplines) accept less entries then???!!

thats one cruisy job !!!! lol.