youngsters+dentist.

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by celestialdancer, Jun 19, 2010.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Ah i'm such a worrier!
    I am booking the horse dentist to come and check/sort out Rocky's teeth in the coming weeks. Rahni doesn't need his doing for another six months, as the dentist wants his to have a break (he had some serious work done last time). The question is this:
    My almost two year old filly hasn't been bitted, and as far as I am aware, hasn't ever had her teeth done. I wanted the dentist to check how her teeth are progressing, but he uses the traditional gag and hand tools (natural dentist **)) Will this freak Gracie out? Or shall I wait until she goes to his place next year for breaking, and he can sort her teeth out then?
    And then there is the third option, of calling out the vets, and they will bring out their crush, sedate her, and look at her teeth that way. I'd really prefer to do it the more natural way, and our dentist is really very good.
    So what do you think,
    a. try it and see how she goes,
    b. wait until next year when she gets broken in,
    c. get the vets out and do it the more 'commercial' way?

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

I had my 2yo arab done as I was having the dentist out to do his 3yo brother at the time. The 2yo had been semi-mouthed, had a bit in about 5 times or so. Although I felt that he didnt really need doing as he wasnt getting broken in until the following year. It was mainly because i had been starting to mouth him and didnt want anything causing problems. But he was done and it was all fine, he didnt like it much of course but they have to have it sooner or later! It was done the traditional way also, gag and no sedation, I dont like using sedation unless they really need it. So in your case, I wouldn't overly worry about it unless you plan to mouth her before the breaking or if there is any other signs they may need doing, ie losing weight, quidding etc.
    She can have them done as a 3yo, and the traditional way should be fine.

3. celestialdancer

Oh good, that's put my mind at ease a little :) From what I can tell, there is no way she would even begin to miss a bit of feed, or drop any. She loves it too much! She's the type of pony that would carry on, in pain if necessary!
    I shall fire 101 questions at the dentist when I book him anyway. Just wanted to hear other people's opinions first :)

4. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

They still will need doing. I have just had Wombat done ( 2 1/2 years ) because he goes off to get broken when he is three and I didnt want major work done just before going off. He needed quite some filing - help removing some caps, and had his wolf teeth out. He will get re-done in a few months just prior to going up to the breakers. Much rather all the big work done now rather than all at once and then having him mouthed etc. He was fine :) ANd is now chewing much better too ( not that he had troubles keeping weight on hehe).

5. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

my boy got his done for the first time just before he turned 3ys prior to get broken in

6. celestialdancer

oh gosh.
    i completely forgot about wolf teeth!
    do they always have wolf teeth that need removing? and are they sedated if they are removed?
    definately think i am going to be picking my poor dentist's brains! he'll be sick of hearinbg about gracie by the time he has her to break in :p

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have had several horses now and only ever had one who needed to ahve wolf teeth out.

They inject local and tend to sedate when taking them out.

8. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I dont get my youngsters done until they are ready to get started.

Somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 yrs. :)

9. celestialdancer

okay, seems to be about the 2.5 year mark. She's going to be going up for bitting at around that time anyway, as I want to get some in-hand work in a bridle underway before she's ridden.
    I think my dentist is going to have his hands full with this little terror - and her worried mum!
    thanks guys :D

10. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Get her sedated then there wont be a problem :). So much easier and it makes it quicker and less stressful for all concerned.

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I recently held some babies (around 3yo) that were done with no sedation with the files (not powertools) none of them had any problems at all...they were all very well behaved. Helps to have well handled babies and a good, patient dentist too:)*

12. celestialdancer

good patient dentist - check.
    well handled baby - getting there!
    just have to learn the 'this isn't the time to fidget' mode, then she'll be pretty much on track :)

13. Doc Martin

Doc Martin New Member

Teeth

Couple of things to think about,

1) young horses have very soft teeth and so form sharp points quickly. I have seen severe cheek trauma in youngsters that have had dentistry done only 6 months ago. Just because you are not riding it does not mean it is not causing trauma to its mouth with sharp cheek teeth.

2) They lose 24 teeth before they turn 5 years old. Like us things can go wrong in the eruption process. If caught early, a lot of these can be remedied ( we cannot use braces later in life like we can with humans ! )

3) Wolf teeth are best taken out early before they fuse to the maxillary bone. This should be done under local anaesthesia and in a sedated and relaxed horse.

4) Bit seats should be done BEFORE the horse is broken in. Why send it to the trainers with sharp teeth.

I would recommend a 6 monthly check from a year onwards until they have a full mouth ( around 6-7 y.o ) and then you can drop back to yearly unless there are other issues ( conformational etc )

MD

14. celestialdancer

Having the dentist out six monthly is no problem at all, the old gelding needs six monthly checks, sometimes four monthly, depending on the time of year.
    My trainer is also my dentist ;)
    Best bloke around i'd say **)
    he has a hectically full schedule right now, but is phoning me in a few days regarding Rocky getting his teeth done. When he's out, he can have a look at Gracie's, I have no problem getting the vet out for wolf teeth, it was a great reminder about them!