youngster very agressive in stable

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Lily, Oct 27, 2003.

1. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

I agree with most of what Grant says, but i still want respect when they are eating dinner. anytime you are around your horse you should havetheir respect & if half way through dinner you want to take them out to do something with them, eg rug them for the night, they should accept this regardless of whether dinner is served or not. I do realise that they will be 'antsy" about returning to dinner, but still at all times you are in charge.

2. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

I read Grant's article on his website he referred to - thanks for that link it was very useful. I get what Grant and TOGM both say - and I agree with both in part. I am happy to leave him to eat and not brush or fuss just to disturb him, but I would like to be able to safely walk in to fill up his water bucket, and later one rug him (once we have had the 'this is a rug' lesson).

As an update - I have been using the rake idea as a friendly tool - instead of 'seeing him off' with it - I've used it as an extension of my arm, giving him scratches and touching him whilst staying in a safe range. If he swings at me I simply block it with the length of the rake - just like a gate. If he lays his ears back I just growl at him. I am going slowly but so far this approach seems to be working well, he is happily accepting the touch of the rake now and I am moving closer each time so he gets used to me being in there with him. Still got a way to go but progress is progress.