young t/b

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by big butts, Feb 2, 2006.

1. big butts

big butts New Member

i got give this 3yr old race horse who beau his front left leg he was going to be put down . so i got him . i he is the most beautiful t/b i have seen in a long time and his movment is outstanding so i though i could do hacking on him. will his beau tendon be a problam ?i have had him for about 6mths he did his leg week before i got him. how long should i leave him to mend? [:-cwm26-:]

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Well theres no definate answer to that as it all depends on how bad the injury was in the first place. Some are fine after afew months others take over a year and some never do come good.
    I'd guess if he is totally sound now just very light work would build him back up but you'd have to be careful of what you do and also make sure the ground is good. You might find that he is fine until you do heavy or fast work with him. Correctley fitting boots would possibley give him some support too. If I were you I'd get him checked by a vet before starting anything with him

Ali

3. DD

DD Guest

Stay away from boots generally... more likely to increase the chances of a reoccurrence if used regularly than to decrease it!
    You want the tendon to repair and strengthen so over supporting it will not allow that...and boots create other issues like heat etc that can lead to higher incidences of a bow reoccurring.

I'm only superficial on the outside......

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

As to hacking him, it depends on how badly the tendon is bowed, ie how bad it looks! Since hacking is a beauty pagent if it is obvious it will be put down by some/most judges.

Unofficial hacking may be better, but again it would depend on the judge.

Good luck with him.

5. big butts

big butts New Member

thank you all for your help ...you can only see the tendon if you are really looking and his injury was only minor. he run around the paddock like a fruit loop and doesnt come up sore. [:-happy-:]

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Is this Zac you are discussing??

=) CJ

7. big butts

big butts New Member

yes hi caroline how are you ? do u think i would be able to do some work with him you new his injury better then me .. oh guess what took him to our new place today and he floated GREAT he didnt jump around or sway and no sweat . coz i was gonna get him ready for newcomers this yr or next depends on how he comes though ,:][:-laughing-:][:-cup-:]

8. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Even if he is fine to be ridden now I would suggest aiming for Newcomers next year. That way he will have over a year of retrianing under his belt and you don't have to rush or push him in his work. Since you can start competing in ridden events as soon as the entries close for this years event that means that you only have 5 months to wait, and in that time you can take him to some led breed shows and get him used to the show atmosphere without the pressure of having to work under saddle in the ring. This then means that by the time Newcomers comes around he should be a lot more settled and have more of a chance of showing himself to his best advantage. It also means that his lengthen work should be established and a balanced lengthened trot/canter certainly looks better than the rushed trot you see at a lot of Newcomer events.

This is just my opinion from competing in hack events and watching the number of young horses whose brains are fried trying to get them ready for newcomers too early. As you can tell, I am not a fan of starting horses under saddle at shows too early - particularly if they are also expected to win!

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Miki, your boy should be fine to start riding now. The injury was only a mild tear compared to some tendons I have seen. If he is hooning around the paddock, well light flatwork is not going to hurt him at all. I would avoid jumping for a while yet though. The more groundwork and riding education you give him prior to starting his show career, you will be paid back many times over in terms of classes and shows won later on him. You will know when he is ready to compete. The only thing I can advise is make sure his toes are kept short and his feet in general maintained well, cos that was what caused his injury in the first place. And keep up his minerals and good feeding as this will help repair and improve his tendon and feet. Good to hear he floated well and enjoy your new horsey place!!

=) CJ