Young mares in season

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Bon & Ted, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Has anyone ever had the issue of young mares coming into season and becoming quite aggressive ?

Sienna is in season atm, her first season was closer to the start of the year and it went for ages, she was pretty bad but controllable. Came out of season and was fine.

As of yesterday she has started squirting and her pee has that bad pong to it. My OH went in there to rug Jingles and Sienna started charging him and rearing and striking out at him, biting, the works. I wasn't home so he hightailed outta there after chasing her off. I came home and she tried it on with me, I made her work and she settled down but was still totally arrogant and trying it on big time.

This has literally happened one day to the next and she was downright dangerous!

She is a pushy pony with space issues, but we have been working on them alot and she's gotten a lot more respectful. Up until yesterday she was moving out of my space regularly, only occassionally nipping at my hand etc. Not perfect but a big improvement. She's never been overly good with my OH or my mum because she knows she can get away with being alpha mare.

Is this normal :confused: does it get better ?

What makes it even more scary is my neigbours 3 year old son was apparantely playing with her through the fence in the morning, before this behaviour started. I think I will need to move her so she doesn't hurt him!

2. Bon:D
    take her to the vets while she is on heat for an ultrasound, get them test her hormons levels as well.:D
    Good luck,
    and if the scan and hormons levels are OK, get a whip and sort her out once and for all. No heat is an excuse for a dangerous behaviour. If she gets away with it being on heat, can you imagine what she might be like with a foal at foot?
    lena

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Cool thanks Lena.

I was thinking along those lines.

Yep definitely sorted her out last night, she seemed ok this morning, a wee bit pushy, we'll see how she goes this afternoon. She did charge the dog a little feistier than normal though *#)

She was like a monster last night! I was disgusted!

You're absolutely right it is NO excuse.

I don't plan to breed from her ever, she is a crossbred, and we don't need any more of them! She doesn't have the sort of temperament that I'd like to reproduce anyway!

I'll talk to my vet over the weekend, don't have time to take her anywhere this week so it'll have to wait until the next season.

I really have 2 extremes of horses. Jings you don't even know when she is in season, but I'd like to breed her one day. Sienna I have no interests in breeding but she is outwardly in season! Can't win

4. Sancho

Sancho New Member

If you aren't confidant that even if she's OK with you she could be dangerous with others talk to your vet about using regumate to stop her cycling although it can get quite expensive or there's a fairly new treatment out called Equity vaccine. It eliminates one of the hormones to stop mares cycling for 6mths but is only to be used in mares that you never want to breed from as they have had experiences where mares fail to resume cycling afterwards. It is actually only recomended for mares that aren't to be bred from.

5. breakawaystud

breakawaystud New Member

Time bomb...

First up, you do absolutely need to make sure this mare is inaccessible to everyone, especially the young boy. Whether this mares problems are human or hormone related is beside the point, if you have identified that she is a menace, then have her secluded until you know more about whats going on.
    From a repro point of view, there are several possibilities. Most concerning would be a GTC Tumour of the ovaries that can cause aggressive behaviour (hormonal profile including testosterone and inhibin) but is readily treatable via excision (removal) of the affected ovary. Breeding options are not changed despite the loss.
    Consider Regumate or CIDR/PRID/Cuemare, if she ceases to be aggressive whilst on any of these protocols (therefore effective), then the use of Equity (which disconnects the conversation between the ovaries and the pituitary, SUPPOSEDLY for the short term ) may help too. But, from experience, any mare that you may want to breed from EVER should not have Equity. (too hard to turn them around).
    Long story short, speak to your equine-reproduction-vet (yes ask them as not all vets are created equal!) and perhaps consider dusting off that big stick after all! Perhaps she is just a b*&ch!
    Hope this helps.:))

6. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Thanks Breakaway.

I did a lot of ground work with her last night and she was a perfect little angel.

She is totally back to normal within a day :confused:

I have let the neighbours know to not let the little boy near my pony for a while, unless I am there and she is on halter and lead, and have moved her to the top paddock where no one (apart from my family) will touch her through the fence.

My boyfriend and my mum have been banned from going into the paddock until I say differently. That doesn't affect anyone as they rarely go in there anyway.

It is very unlike Sienna to get her knickers in a knot over the weather, so I've discounted that. She is still in season, not heavily so, but still squirting and acting a little more feisty. I haven't been going into the paddock without a whip, but she hasn't tried anything on since the other day.

Maybe it's the first day of her cycle her hormones are raging ??

We'll have to wait until her next season and if she shows that sort of behaviour again I will get the repro vet out.

Sancho, I am confident handling her. She was dangerous the other night, but I know how to deal with that sort of behaviour safely. You are right, it's other people that I worry about, I have a young niece who LOVES my horses, she is well trained and knows to not go in their paddock, but I will be keeping a more watchful eye on her when she visits next.

Cheers

7. breakawaystud

breakawaystud New Member

Vernal Transition

Hi Again
    A majority of mares respond to decreasing day light hours by limiting ovarian activity (about 20% will cycle without ovulation during our winter and 10% ovulate during our winter, PLEASE NOTE it is day light hours that affect ovaries not climate, otherwise how do they breed horses in Canada, Mongolia etc?)) The remaining portion effectively shut down for the short days. However, as we know, day length starts to increase from June 22 on, so some mares are keen to rush through the transition from ovarian quiesence (inactivity) to regular cycles whereas most mares just like to mess with our heads and make us deal with vernal transition or 'Spring heat'. (lots of options to rush them through this but thats another VV big thread!)
    The reason I have mentioned this is that it is possible she has had a rush of these very mixed up hormones courtesy of the ovaries and it is possible its a one off behaviour. Another option (as seen today) is a low grade uterine infection (confirmed via US) that made the mare try to nurse a strangers foal, try to kill her owner and try to have colic!!!
    Most likely, your mare was just being a prat but if you wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt (rather than a tune-up with the dreaded stick!) perhaps she could plead 'temporary insantiy due to hormonal influence'?
    Hope this helps.:))