young horses /time ????

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by megan, Dec 23, 2008.

1. megan

megan Well-known Member

ok well as some of you may know i have a young horse he is 2. Now when i got him i was not working and was not planing to work. but due to some desions i have gone back to work.

Now i found i had very little time to get out to him and sent him out to spell for 6 months.
    Now when he comes back i was planing on getting him started and some work than again out for 6 months.
    But the biggest thing is really do i have enough time for a young horse or not. and really how much work do they need when they are started.

my thinking is do i sell him in a market where people are not buying so i will have to sell him way under worth and save up and try to get a older horse or something that if i cant ride for a week or so its ok.

anyways i just want people opinions and advise.

thanks

2. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I don't know much about young horses, but if it were me and I had a young horse I would be planning on spending at least 15 mins a day just fussing over establishing ground manners with the horse.

Only you are the one who can say if you have time to spend with the hors everyday for the horse. Good luck and I hope you come to the best decision for you and your horse.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

I dont think you need to make a decision now...wait until he is broken, and spelled again, and see what happens? (the market may be better then ;) ) A lot can happen in a year...

Each horse is individual, you wont know until you try, if he is going to be one that only needs working once/twice a week, or one that needs working everyday....:)

4. megan

megan Well-known Member

thanks for the imput

5. megan

megan Well-known Member

bumping again :)

6. megan

megan Well-known Member

come on people i know there is more opinions good or bad

7. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

i have a 2yo unbroken filly and i was planning on having her broken in and then spelling her for a few months before she goes to a trainer and into work. shell probly go to the trainer for a couple of months then spell again before going into full work for racing. dunno if that helps any:)*

lol and all that depends on if i can find someone to lease her:p

8. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

I too work full-time (work in mining), with many other committments (fire fighting, training, coaching etc) and have just bought on a young horse (broken her myself, with the help of horses and horseman), I spend 20mins a day, 3 days during the working week, and whatever time i can if I get wkends off.
    I spent most of that time doing ground work and yeilding, then just 10mins in the saddle just yielding. All in all, it takes 1/2 hr a day including tack up to do something with her.
    That half an hour is while the water trough is filling up and the feed is soaking.

I started this when she was two yrs, she's now 3. I'm slack coming into the holidays though.

I've got this down to a fine art, as i have so much on after work.

9. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I think it depends on the horse megs. Lots can be ruined by too much handling as well as too little (or not the right type of handling anyway) I with PSO, I would probably wait a bit longer and see how he goes with the breaking in process. Personally I think I may have over handled Ash as he is a bit ADHD lol. I have PLENTY for you to ride if thats what you are after. You know you can pop in anytime and have a hoon :D

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'm in complete agreement with PSO. **)
    If it were me, I'd be holding off.
    Give him a chance to show you what he needs (work wise) once he's under saddle.

11. mzgtr

mzgtr Well-known Member

Well I think as long as he has good ground manners it should not be a problem with breaking him in. With regards to time if you want to keep him then keep him. If you do not have the time to break him in just keep up the ground work and do not break him in till a later age. I know a few horse's who have not been broken in till about age 3 -4 they where no different to the ones at age 2. You don't have to be in such a hurry to get him broken in if you do not have the time.

12. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

IMO horses shouldn't be broken at two, you should wait until at least three before thinking about backing a horse.

Yes do the ground work before - that is a no brainer, but I don't believe a horse should have weight on their backs until they are three.

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Most horses prefer being out being a horse Megs, lol.
    Have you thought about doing some more Breed Shows? Not burning him out but the odd show here & there?
    Although if you haven't got the time, that may be hard.
    What about leasing him out for someone to show? Or starting under saddle, having a few mths off then get him into work, or find a rider for him?

I have two 3yo's that need to be started under saddle.. both are out the farm running on nearly 1000 acres & don't they love it.
    Both have worn saddles, are mouthed, the filly has been sat on & walked around but taken it no further.
    I am actually in no rush but they'll be started this year, Jet isn't 4 till Aug, Tares is 4 in Dec.
    But as both have been shown a bit this year, they are having a break (which they enjoy!!).

14. Probably the most widely disputed issue on age of breaking, however in MY circumstances, we had my young warmblood broken in just after 2. The reason being, his sheer size and arrogance meant it was necessary to get some work into him as he was already being dominant and even the breaker I used had agreed that if we waited until he was three he would have been difficult, stubborn and potentially dangerous.

He already had quite a barrel of dirt to dish out and was actually sent back to the breaker because whilst his initial breaking was successful he soon learned he could use his height and weight over me. Once under saddle, we just did very light flatwork only 3 times a week and the other days just walking around the block. My 65kgs compared to his 700+kg wasn't going to be an issue but respect and was.

In my situation, because he was so big and prone to bucking/rearing, it was absolutely imperative to expose him to everyday situations like traffic, dogs, other horses, shows etc so that as he grew even bigger he was slightly more manageable.

Now as a 4 year old I can safely walk him around the block, do some small jumps on him and manage him in hand and on the ground and even ride him at shows. We haven't done anything that has given him hard work or intense impact and to this day I'm glad we made the decision to break him in at 2 and slowly bring him on as if I waited another year (when he's 17'3h and massive) then any disputes between us could be much more dangerous due to his size.

15. megan

megan Well-known Member

Uno is loving being a horse and im happy for him to do this. I think ill take the advise not worry and see what happens. I may find a way to find time for him. and with the econamy they was it is he may very well have to stay out for a bit longer (alot cheeper out there than full bord here). I think i might leave him out bring him back do some breed shows with him and than start him maybe the end of the year mmmmm i have some time. I think i just think too much sometimes.

When my o/h finishs his apprenticeship i hope i maybe able to cut my hours down some so i can be home more with the kids and get riding more.

but again this depends on what the world does.

any ways thanks alot and ill stop worrying for some time. and let uno be a horse til march and either leave him a bit longer or bring him in than go from there.
    cheers

16. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Megs. I too am a very busy person which is one of the reason my oldest foals are now 3 :)
    Anyway I have brought on a few youg horses & have found that if you give them a good foundation in regards to ground work, once they are started undersaddle you can turf them out & bring them in & they are pretty good.
    I have never had any trouble with young horses who have had breaks.
    I do the time when I have the time & because they get so many breaks they are actually eagar to go out & do some work.....oh & they never sour.
    You don't have to bring a horse on fast...... I think you will find it a rewarding journey. Many of us bring on young horses or horse while still working & raising a family.
    I think you will find your time with your horse will be the recharge times :)
    I do my best thinking cleaning yards :)