Young horses teeth

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Cheeki, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

At what age do you get the horses teeth done?

and approx how much does it cost? Do they require to go to the vets, or can it be done at home? Sedation? No sedation? (I've heard it can be done without.. but eeek, sounds painful to me!)

Cheers

2. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I just got Tally's done as he will be mouthed in the near future.
    I think most vets/dentists like to wait until just before mouthing, so that way it ensures that the teeth have properly come through etc. Though if there are any problems obviously it will require seeing to before that.

Tally was sedated for his treatment and it just made life easier.

3. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

I just had my just turned 3 yr olds teeth done yesterday. I used Rachel Stone (I think Im allowed to mention her on here) she's also a qualified vet, so can administer sedation. She was great, I highly recommend her!! (she came to me) Never having owned a baby before, I learnt quite a bit. Pooor Mocha (filly) had 4 of her baby caps removed, plus 2 wolf teeth pulled out, and she was absolutely good as gold through the whole proceedure. I was so proud of her. I also got Bluey done at the same time, but all he needed was a general floating. Talk about a poofy princess... it took Rachel about 5 goes to get the needle anywhere near him... he was a total sook :) Once the needle bit was over he was great also!
    Dont know if Im allowed to mention costs on here, so PM me if you would like to know.

4. mochaminx

Yep Andhi... Mochas going to be started in a couple of months (yay) so at least I know her teeth wont be causing any issues :)* :)*

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I had Rachel Stone out as well, she was absolutely fantastic!

6. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

PM'ed you mocha :) Cheers

So approx 3-4 years old before getting them pulled? Any reason why they dont just pull them at a younger age, say 2? Do they go very deep (The teeth)?

Cheers

7. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

They may not have come through yet. Tally's hadn't broken through the gumline, she had to dig a bit to get his out.

8. mochaminx

I wish now I was paying more attention to what Rachel was telling me lol. the baby caps Mocha had removed were loose anyway (I was told which ones they were but Ive forgotten he he he)
    Rachel was telling me there is a reason for not pulling off the caps too early, but once again I cant quite remember (gee, if this were an exam Id be failing huh!! )
    I think wolf teeth are pretty much taken out routinely, although Bluey still has his and they have never bothered him in the least. Normally the baby caps just fall off by themselves anyway apparently, and you either find them in the feedbin, or not at all!
    Like Andhi said, if you havnt had them done before, definately get them done before mouthing, as it makes the whole experience of a bit in the mouth for the first time so much more pleasant with no teething issues!!

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Cheers Andhi :)

Thanks for that mocha - will deffinatley get teeth looked at before I mouthed a bubby.. just haven't had too much experience in young horses teeth before, so thought I'd come and ask the pro's :D

10. mini magic

mini magic Active Member

I used Rachel for my mini colt and she was EXCELLENT!! I wouldnt use anyone else after using her:)* she has all the latest tools and even mini size tools for the miniatures! came out to me and very reasonably priced**)**)

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Another vote for Rachel... I have her coming this week to do my dear old pony and my mini mare before she is mouthed:)*

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I have my horses teeth checked every 6 months until they are 5 then annually depending on the horse.

Nothing like a festering milk cap on a baby to cause pain and suffering.

13. FDPH

FDPH Guest

I use Andy Wearing horse dentist he is on the world equine dentistry board. He likes to take wolfies out at around two if they have come through and do a bit seat before starting, then every six months if possible to make sure there is no caps untill 5 yr old then once a year after that. He does say as young horses if they can graze coarser pasture it will help to remove the caps naturally but obviously for some that is n't possible fot me it's all they get.

i had amare that was 3 yr old and had her teeth done early in the yr, i went away for 3 weeks and when i came back she had a huge lump on her nasal bone, my partner removed a cap and a half with our fishing tool( see it comes in handy for more than fishing!) it took a good 6 mnths for the lump to go down as the new teeth where the caps were retained could not get through! i am only able to get Andy once ayr due to where we live, but that touch wood is the only major cap problem I have had.

14. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i got Blitzens teeth done for the first time at 3yrs and was done by a vet that i worked for. In aug i got Mick field out and he was brilliant. I have always sedated my boys for the dentist coz makes the job quick and easy for the procedure incase they (well 1) want to figit and they get done 6mthly and Blitzen whos nearly 5yrs still has his wolf teeth and was told to leave them if they arent troubling him

15. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Thanks everyone :) Exactly what I was looking for :)

Knew I could count on stockies :D