Young Horse Dressage and SJ Comps 2011

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by CDA, Dec 26, 2010.

1. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

As most of you know, I am generally a non competitor when it comes to riding... however, since I have a stallion and would like some bookings in the future, I am interested in entering him in young horse classes next year.

He will have just turned 5...

So what is required of me, and my horse to be able to do young horse comps? What are the dates? Any experiences or feedback from Stockies who have entered these classes in the past?

2. pso

pso Gold Member

Well- for dressage...You need to be an EWA member...the horse needs to be registered, and hold a performance card
    The 5yo tests are available on the EWA website (as aare all the rules- and guidelines ;) )

I think theres a date in feb (the 2010/2011 state final)...then sept/oct/nov for the following breeding year

Not sure about jumping ';'

3. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

the final is at the start of the year?!

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Given age is from 1 August (ie 5yo horses are born between 1 Aug 2005 and 31 July 2006) it is better to have it in Feb than in November like they used to do.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

well- its the end of the breeding year;) ..so most horses are 6 months older- hence its fairer than running in sept/oct, when many have only just come of age...Does that make sense??

6. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

got it :)

thanks, I think I'll give it a miss!