Young event horse

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by jacksta, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

Is anyone entering any of their youngsters in this??

Im toying with the idea of putting my young guy in the 4/5 year old class.... But maybe getting someone else to ride him. hmmmm.

2. Leighchel

Leighchel Active Member

i am too. but the 6 and 7 year old class!!

where do i find out the information for the event? like what height should they be jumping ect?

3. Fire n gold1

Fire n gold1 Active Member

im gunna have a young one soon (in november) :p:p:p

4. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

There are 4 sections in the young event horse - a simple dressage test, the jumping test (~6 SJ fences then ~6 XC fences), conformation and type then the top 6 horses in each section go into section 4 - suitability and potential (horses have to gallop). 4/5 yo horses jump 90cm while 6/7yo horses jump 1.05cm. Not sure what the ponies jump but they're classes as <14.2hh and age is up to and including 7yrs. Age is at 1st of January.

Entry forms here. The eventing grand prix is on the same day which is always good watching :)) .

5. jumpsfences

jumpsfences New Member

Does that mean what age they actually were on 1st January 2009, or if they turn (say 4) in 2009 they are 4yo for the whole year :confused:for example - a horse born Nov 05 would be classed as 4yo?

6. springbok

No, I'm pretty sure a 05 November foal would be a 3yo. It's how old they are on January 1st this year. Could always ring and confirm - thats just how I read it. They changed it to Jan 1st a couple of years ago.

7. SaddleClubber

SaddleClubber Active Member

where is the info on this competition???

8. springbok

In the link I put up in my first post :p

9. SaddleClubber

orite.... :eek: cheers

whats the eventing grand prix set at 1* all about??? is that just for babies aswell???

10. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

nope claire bear the grand prix is for anyone!!! poor babies would have a hard time doing their young event horse thing THEN going and jumping 1* express eventing style hahhaa!!!

11. springbok

lol poor things - guess they'd be tired though!

The eventing GP is basically half a SJ course then you gallop out the arena on one side and started a mini XC course (at brookleigh it was around the paddocks next to limestone water jump. It went to the water jump and back again basically) then you come back into the arena and finish the show jump course. The whole thing is timed and the fastest combination wins ... I think penalties were given in time but I can't remember what for each.

12. Spring

Spring Active Member

we would have loved to do it with Bellario and the pony but they put it on the same wkend as the dressage state champs!:(why

13. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

OMG :eek: That sounds like excitement PLUS! Might have to mosey on up and check it out :)*

14. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

i know i made comment on this too - its also on the same wkend as the big sj wkend at serpe... but they were adimant that it stay that wkend as its spring in the valley and there is so much else on at this end of the yr... *shrugs*

15. SaddleClubber

LOL the height for the 6/7 year olds says 1.5m....

hmm i think it should be 1.05m otherwise i know a few 6/7 year olds who will get quite a shock to their system :p

16. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

yeahh I have decided to do the SJing at serpy instead of the young event horse, Mr Scooby is doing his first 105cm :)

17. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

***bump****

So who ended up entering this or the grand prix??

My youngster is in the 4/5 yr old class, but im not riding him (thank god! im nervous enough for him already..). Though i havent heard anything back yet and they havent cashed my cheque.

Goodluck to those who are competing!

18. SaddleClubber

yep im doing the grand prix on my horse

and the 4/5 year olds on the little red horse :D

just wondering, it says there is to be no change of gear or riders clothes between the two sections... does that mean you ride your test in your jump saddle then go straight out and do the jumps??? :confused:

19. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

Yep, thats right!

20. PELLY20

PELLY20 Active Member

We are taking two ponies cant wait