Young Event Horse State Champs

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by magic_impact, May 18, 2011.

1. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Haven't spotted a thread on this...Is anyone going to this event on Sat 18 June?

Sounds like an awesome competition
    Details here:
    Global Entries Online - Friends of the SEC Eventing - Horseland Young Event Horse State Championships

Format & Scoring
    The winner is that with the highest overall marks from 5 sections. Examples of the score sheets to be used are attached.

Section 1: Dressage (30 marks)(plus 10 marks given by the dressage judge towards section 5)

Section 2: Showjumping (20 marks) (plus 10 marks given by jumping judge towards section 5)
    Open age and eventing grand prix competitors will incur penalties for refusals and rails.

Section 3: Cross Country (25 marks) (plus 10 marks given by jumping judge towards section 5)
    Open age and eventing grand prix competitors will incur penalties for refusal and excessive time taken.

Section 4: Conformation & Type (15 marks)
    Horses are assessed in hand by the conformation judge. Their build and type should enable them to withstand the demands of the sport in terms of soundness, speed and stamina.

Section 5: Suitability, Trainability, Ride-ability & Potential (10 marks)(average of score given by each of the 1st 3 section?s judges)

They have classes for 4-5 and 6-7 year olds as well as open age classes (for the not so young event horse!) and a Grand Prix. I've entered in the "not so young" 80 cm class. Sounds great and it'll be interesting to see the score sheets and comments at the end.

Not sure what the go is on equipment as it says the rider has to be presented for dressage for the whole lot and basically choose 1 set of tack and go with it for all sections! Hopefully that means I don't have to wear my body protector for the dressage as I'll look a bit dumbo but not going XC without it!

2. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I looked at the entry form (not planning on entering, just curious!). I wonder why they need 50 score sheet collectors for the helper duty? LOL (and no XC jump judges).

Should be a good event. I remember seeing one of these events run in conjuction with the normal event at Newdale (or maybe it was Wooroloo).

3. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

I've seen this event a couple of times, and was always curious and interested in it, just never had the horse to compete in it :p

I'd love to enter, but my pony hasn't been to an event yet, and we'd have to show a dressage test for competency :p I'd love to try next year, but not quite sure we'll be at prelim level by then hehe

4. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

I competed a couple of years ago when my boy was 4 and (assuming its the same) basically you present as you would for dressage (plaits, jacket, stock etc) but you ride dressage in your jump saddle. Then you go straight to showjumping with just time to shorten your stirrups between. Then straight to xc. xc is only like 5 jumps, not xc in the true sense, more just like xc type fences (usually a ditch and a drop). When I competed no one wore body protectors as the xc is more like a small sj round but with xc type fences.
    Hope that helps :)

So disappointed, would have loved to have entered my boy in the 6/7 yr old class but he will be on the truck on his way to melb that weekend to our new home!

5. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

I am entered with my new horse Jimmy! So excited! We are in the 4-5yo class

6. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Maybe for the eventing grand prix?

I plan on doing the eventing grand prix :D .

7. Nickelodeon

Pray tell, what is that? :)

8. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

the eventing grand prix has a show jumping course and some xc jumps, you do 6 sj then go out on cross country then do the rest of the sj course. is quite good to watch

9. Nickelodeon

Oooo that does sound like a good watch! I guess I might take a sneak at the entry/info forms again and see how it all works **)

10. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

You ride a dressage test - the 3A. The show jumping is 110cm and the XC is 105cm. Usually with an eventing grand prix you do half the show jumping, gallop out the arena and complete a short course of XC fences in an open area then come back into the arena to complete the rest of the show jumping course. Am unsure how this one will work but usually the fastest time wins with time penalties for disobedience's and rails. Could be wrong though! They're always good watching **) .

11. Nickelodeon

Sounds AWESOME! :)* Not to mention superly fun!! I'll definitely make an effort to come round and watch, since I'll be up that way plaiting and washing pony that weekend anyway :D

12. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Bumping!

Entries close a week today (wed 8th). They have had limited entries so far (only 30-odd out of 140 places) so hoping that everyone is just a bit lazy getting their forms in. Hope this is well supported so they can run it again in the future.

13. Leighchel

Leighchel Active Member

Ive entered this @) the 80cm class, also thinking of entering the dressage on the sunday.

14. PELLY20

PELLY20 Active Member

This is a great event we did it a couple of years ago and Kayla got best presented in the ponies, but its a shame its the same weekend as Log Fence