Young Dressage Horse querie (imported horses)

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Pseudoname, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Pseudoname

Pseudoname New Member

computer is being a prat and not letting me download the ea dressage rulebook.
    can someone tell me what the rules are relating to age in competing an imported horse at young dressage horse competitions?
    i understand here that horses ages are as of august 1 that year? so are all imported horses competing essentially a year younger?
    eg a horse born in september 2008 will in 2012 be a 4 year old, a horse born in feb 2009 will also be a 4 year old in 2012?

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

It is age as per the 1st August "birthday". But there are quite a few Australian bred horses born in Jan-March who are in the same boat as well so in a lot of cases the imports aren't that much younger.

3. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

also to add it depends how the organisers want to run their show. I have seen some Young Horse comps where they change the eligibility to the calendar year.

4. madcow

madcow Guest

Maybe 6 months but not a year? Most performance horses arn't aimed to be foaled August anyway....thats a racehorse thing they've run with. Lots of Australian Warmbloods are Nov-Feb foals anyway (mines a Feb)

For Dressage YH they do stick with the August date but Eventing for eg uses 1st Jan.

5. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

M.River Dressage Spect. uses calendar year for YH comp.....at least they did last year.

6. madcow

madcow Guest

Yes, but MR wasn't an offical YH comp....they ran under their own format and rules I think.

7. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

really? I did not know that.

8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Hold on, so does that mean that Gracie can't compete until next year?
    She's 3 in October. So does that mean she can't compete until August of next year?