You wouldnt flipping read about it - we lost another one....

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Reigate, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

This time a mare, on Friday,...... the two options are snake bite, or a colic of some description......

There have been quite a few snakes around this year so far.......

Allen Park Desert Fox - our lovely big roan mare, the dam of our latest foal, CM Desert Dreams who was born on the 18th of November......

I swear, I am sooooooooooooooooooooo over horses at the moment....... we have had a BUGGER of a year.......

So little Dreamy is now an orphan..... He is doing quite well though - although its a bit concerning - he WONT take a bucket or a bottle....

He is eating a lot of hay, pellets and oats, and is drinking a LOT of water..... so at least hes not going to dehydrate.

We have put Mandy, who lost her dummy foal a couple of months ago, in with him in the hope that she will come back into milk for him - shes already decided to 'mother' him in that shes following him everywhere and pulls faces at the other horses over the fence who come anywhere near him.

He has a creep section set up in the yard and he can go in there and eat his pellets that are coated with milk powder and glucodin.....

Fingers crossed that he is ok for us guys - we have hand raised quite a number of orphans before, so know what we are in for, but have managed to get all of those on the bucket or bottle..... this little guy is really frustrating us!!!!

[​IMG]

With 'adopted mum' Mandy.... who at this stage was still telling him to sod off....

[​IMG]

At the baby round bale tonight.....

[​IMG]

Cuddles with dad.....

[​IMG]

2. Kateee

Kateee Guest

Oh,Good luck to you all, i hope everything turns out OK :D

PMSL at the second photo *#)

3. bloody hell shell! its just not been your year has it :( :(

hope everything turns out to be ok in the end

4. Reigate

Yeh well we said we wanted to cut down on a few, but NOT this way........

Trent (mate down the road) said to me tonight that now we have more space in the paddocks I better go shopping.....

I told him NO I am NOT going shopping.... though we DO need some more mares now.....

He has a rather nice Black and White filly that I have had my eyes on for a while..... AND he just dropped the price on her tonight a bit.....

Craig would of course kill me, as we have another big coloured mare that we LOVED when she was here being served by our TB stallion a few years ago in mind too - her owner wants to move her on now......

5. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

awww cm thats awful :( Im so terribly sorry you really have had a bad year :( *hugs* mate, hope you can get him on the bottle/bucket or the mare comes back into milk for the little man

6. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Gosh you have had a bad bloody year, haven't you. Goodluck with the little bloke. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

7. How many china men have you run over Shell? It is beyond the joke, isn't it?:(
    I am sorry to hear about another loss, what a shame:(
    Good luck with the boy! I hope he'll do OK:)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  8. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

huggies
    gallop free girl
    cheers shyloh :}

9. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

You lose one and its horrible but you put it down to "one of those things that happens when you breed" you lose 2 and you begin to think your being singled out for" bad luck", 3 and its" you have got to be kidding!" Now a really nice broodmare mummy as well and I just dont know what to say to you guys that could possibly help except next year has just got to be one hell of a year to make up for this one! Thoughts are with you and sending big hugs your way.

10. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Awww soooo sorry for your loss!
    Hope "new" mumma gets some milk going :)

11. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

I hope next years foaling season will supply you with the most perfect and healthy fillies...So sorry to hear of all your loses, maybe this year is bad but next year will be the best year your farm has ever seen.

12. EVP

EVP Gold Member

In regards to getting him to suckle the other mare, why not restrain her so that he can try?
    You won't be able to stimulate her milk production without sucking from him.

Also your vet could give you some advise to help that part? I think Oxyi helps release milk in a full lactating mare but not sure about a semi-dry mare.

Would be a big bonus if you could get him to suckle her although I'd say you are going to have to tie up her back legs and let him go for it!

13. Pink Sapphire

Pink Sapphire Well-known Member

Hope all work out with this little guy, hes beatiful!!

So very sorry for the loss of your mare
    RIP

14. Reigate

Yep EVP - are trying the restraining :) Oxy is good for getting mares to let down - but only in mares full of milk..... not great on semi dry mares unfortunately.... will work with hormonal changes in the mare when she really decides to mother him...... at the moment shes just partially.....

I cant believe it, I posted these same set of photos on another forum (yes, shock horror - there are other forums! lol....but it sucks, I dont think I will bother there much other than in the CB thread - which ironically is where these pics were posted) and I got slammed for taking a photo like the second one.... its a moment in time people..... he had been hooning around the yard and it was a gentle push away not a full on kick, and her leg went UNDER his neck....

You know, if we neglected our horses, didnt feed them right, didnt look after them, had really crap falling down fences and crap all through the paddocks - I could understand losing them like we have..... but when everything is done 'right' and they are pampered and all care is taken, and this sort of thing happens, it really REALLY irks me.

All of the deaths here lately have been unrelated cant do anything about deaths...... GAH! :(

15. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

God, you poor thing, what a bitch of a year :(
    Don't worry about eejits on other forums - anyone who's read your posts can tell that you adore your horses, and look after them amazingly well. You just seem to have accidentally received someone else's huge package of bad karma.
    Here's to a much much better 2010... :))

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Oh Shell so unfair. You have had more hten your share of bad luck this year.

Hope the foal and adopted Mum work it out together.

THat has got to be it for the rest of the century surely.
    Thinking of you

17. Yandi

Yandi New Member

Gee Shellsbells, some of us are having torrid mares aren't we. Sending you lot's of "adopting orphan vibes" to you.

With the bottle feeding, we found only one brand of bottle and teat that the foals will take, I think it's Aveda brand. They come from the pharmacy and are 400ml bottles. you need to cut the end of the teat off though as they are quite tough on the little ones when suckling. Failing that, buckets of Wombaroo work wonders.

Hope all goes well with your foal and that your mare will adopt him.

18. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Awww CMS! That's just the pits - so sorry 2009 has been such a heartbreak year for you! :(

And... someone gave you a hard time for the second pic??? I thought she was actually being very gentle! rofl Clearly someone hasn't been around any horse... let alone a 'potential-mummy-to-be' mare! *#)

Hope things improve in 2010 - and the little guy sees in the New Year in great health! :))

19. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Seriously CM don't beat yourself up.....we have lost horses too. And its not through lack of anything. Its just a heap of bad luck. It hurts though and I really know what you are going through. I didn't mean anything bad with my post, was only trying to offer something that might help......its a crappy time for you and boy do I understand. Other than wrapping them in cotton wool and keeping them in our bedrooms there is nothing we can do.....I really hope next season is much brighter. This year we had a good one.....but last year was one I wished I could forget.

20. Reigate

Yeh I knew where you were coming from EVP :) Any and all advice is gladly received :)

There is a drug you can give the mares to come back into milk, but I havent heard how it goes with mares who are IN foal..... so dont want to try that unless we HAVE to.....

This mare is a couple of months in foal as it is..... if she doesnt take him, then we have a friends very maternal but 25 yr old mare here who hasnt had a foal for 3 years.... she MIGHT be a candidate.... or a friend has offered us a mare down near Adelaide - and we have offer of one in Victoria.... Vic is a bit far away though! lol

Trying to get him on the boobie with this one first, and just really closely monitoring him in the meantime and making sure hes eating well and drinking heaps.....

Geeze, they try us dont they!!!! Some days you wonder why you do it, then they give you a bit of a cuddle and run a freshly dunked in the water trough muzzle up your back/neck/face/arm and you realise that THESE are the moments that make it all worth while!

Im hoping that we have had all our bad luck for the next 20 years...... just got it over and done with NOW.... lol....