You Gotta Love Coliban Bred Stock.

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Go the Distance, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

My yearling has been running wild for five weeks out in a huge paddock on a mates farm getting eye balled daily but not handled. Went out this morning threw a halter on him after he trundled up to me. Trimmed his feet in ten minutes flat while he had a feed**).

Talk about an awesome temperment. You can't beat it:)).

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Got to love a good temperament! :))

Obviously not a QH, but i had my 1yo Welsh A turned out on acreage from December 2011 till recently this mth, only touched to worm & feet trim (although on hard ground, they were very good).
    I think she needed the time turfed out..... she was such a good girl. :)

3. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

Indeed you do GTD!

I was a bit naughty last night and I jumped on Goodie bareback :eek: just to see how she would handle it. (Yes I had a helmet on, and it was in the middle of a clear paddock)
    I had put a bridle on her an hour or so beforehand and had taken both of them out for a run so she could get used to the bit.
    At the end of our outing we came across my nice mounting log thats about 200m from the house, and i fully intended to just lay across her back like a sack of grain. But she took it so well I went, bugger it, let's see what she does. :p
    Whacked her on the hip with my knee when i first went to put my leg over and she walked sideways a bit, but didn't bat an eyelid when i sat up on her! :eek:
    She gave a little bit of a rear and a hump after about 50m of walking on a loose rein. She didn't shift me, but at the time I thought "I'll bail if she gets too wound up" but I pulled her back on the reins a little and she calmed down. So I continued on for the 20 or so metres that was left between us and my other horse with no problems!**)

SUCH A GOOD GIRLY!!! :D:D

4. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Glad I am not the only one to do that Keridwyn:D. I have a had three sneaky sits on him too and he just stood there and then took a few steps:)).

They are pretty awesome aren't they!!??

5. GTD:D
    did you have to use a mounting block on him or just hopped on?:D
    Keeridwyn:)
    Goodie was dead quiet from the day dot. It literally took 5 minutes to halter break her. She has always been soooo obliging.:)*

6. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

They sure are awesome! :D

She certainly seems to take everything in her stride once she trusts you! I had a devil of a job in the beginning getter her to lead properly, but we've sorted that out now!

7. We wormed all the babies yesterday and one filly got the runs this morning. Brian came in to get a towel to clean her up, I offered to help but he declined. So I looked at the window to see him hosing the filly's bottom in the middle of the yard with no halter on and she was just standing there, he wiped her big roan bottom with the towel and off she walked. She has never been washed before. God bless her.:D
    It is a bliss when they are easy to do anything with.:p