Yet another colour question!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by norrishbex, May 21, 2010.

1. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

I am thinking of puting my mare to a buckskin stallion, and I am curious as to the colour possibilities they may produce. She is grey, out of a grey mare by a bay stallion.

In the info about the buckskin stallion there are these letters: EE Aa Crn. Which goes straight over my head, but they say that he won't have chestnut babies.

I am 99% sure that I am going to use this stallion, no matter what colour possibilities I get, but it would be cool to narrow it down a smidge!

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

The buckskin stallion will throw 50% chance of cream, 100% non chestnut (bay black brown only) -
    so you can only get from him, a buckskin, a bay, or a black.
    Your mare will throw 50% chance of grey.

Your foal will be, either Grey, Buckskin, Bay or Black.

You havent said what your mare's base colour is but it wouldnt change the results unless she is also a cream in which case you could get a perlino.

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

As sassy said :)

The foal will either be bay, buckskin, smoky black, or black, but with a 50% chance of the foal greying out, no matter what colour it's born.

I'm pretty sure norrishbex mare is a TB so no chance of her carrying the Cr gene, so no possibility of perlino.

4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

you will need to know what colour the mare was before she went grey...grey is not a colour;) But yep...50% chance of turning grey:)*

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

so my mares pally but the grey hiding it?

is that sort of how it works?

so if i crossed my mare with a pally she the resulting foal would have a 50% chance of greying out?

or am i being dumb*#)

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Yep...that's it ;)

If she is Homozygous for grey all her foals will go grey ...if she is heterozygous they have a 50% chance:)*

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

ahh i see i see

and a Homozygous grey has two grey parents? this horse colour stuff is a bit more confusing than the eye colour one i rember from school haha

8. Correct!:p

So she can't be homozygous for grey!:D

9. sil

sil Gold Member

Basically it's like a layer cake, you have about 14 genes and they all modify the base coat colour. So it's like people, you start with hair of your natural colour, and then it goes grey! Unlike people though, horses can either pass on the gene for grey or not. To go grey as a horse you have to have one parent that is grey, and then only if they pass on the gene for it.

So you have a grey mare, she may pass on her natural colour but *not* the grey gene so the foal will have a natural colour but not go grey.

10. chick_with_a_chainsaw

yup thats what i thought.. i didnt write that though haha that was norrishbex

11. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

She was born bright orange. Which may explain the red headed temper she displays when she doesn't get her own way ;)