Yesterday I opened my first...............

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Deb2, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................Caslick!:).(hope I got the spelling right:D)

I injected the site to numb it (after cleaning, ofcourse), then cut with the scalpel until my finger would no longer 'catch' on the inside (as I had been instructed).

When I had finished I requested my boss check (inside and out) to make sure I had done a good job, and he classified it as 'perfect', which is very high praise from him!;)

Now I'll have to find something else at work that is new to me, so that I can learn something new

2. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

the name sounds familiar... but for those of us that dont know... whats a caslick?

3. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

You don't want to know. (shudder) :( I'd rather not think about it. La la la la la (sticks fingers in ears) :eek:

4. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

errrmmmmmm is it something to do with that thing that hangs down under the belly Debs!!!! lmao

5. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

6. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

OMG OMG OMFG I have just threw up!!!!!!!
    Thanks Dirtbug for the run down but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww YAK YAK YAK!!!!
    pmsl i am sorry but NO that is just not right!! especially when i cant sleep pmsl poor bloody mares lol
    Just the thought of that needle going where it shouldnt!! OUCH OUCH PUKE PUKE

7. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

See even bloody mares get plastic surgery. It probably only cost a few hundred dollars to do.

Do you think I could get my fanny plastic surgery for that amount?????

Even me bloody dog got an upper and lower eyelift for $400. Why is animal plastic surgery so much cheaper??

8. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Blahahahahahahaha pmsl@you!!!!!
    Mine is unfixable!!!!!hahahahaha

9. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

ah yes, just b4 breaky so not gonna look at that link, but i remember its to do with stitching up mare vulva isnt it?

10. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

Oh..? thats nteresting. i have heared of them before, but i never really knew why they did them. I have read throihg the link (not so pretty hey!) and im still a bit unsure.. so they do itifthe have a tear or for abnormalities?

Very interesting!

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

As a mare gets older and has had a few foals she stretches and/or her anus retreats back into the pelvis. So instead of the poop falling away from her vulva if falls onto it. If the vulva is slack some will get in there and can cause infections. Caslicks prevent the infection and therefore increase the chance of a successful pregnancy.

12. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

the mare and foal i just got given has the same as picture 12 ekkk the worst. she was a maiden and ripped badly have to wait and see what type of procedure she will need. have to clean her bum every day as she only has one hole now not two. poor things we put them thru... sorry holly :-(

13. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

My mare had this done at the start of the year poor thing.. she had an infection. Looked like fig. 2 on that link. Bit yuckies I know.. worst bit is the blood when they stitch it *shudders*

14. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

omg sorry paula LOL dint realise you were still up then LOL

i did warn ya bahahahahahaha!!!
    :eek::p*#)

15. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

wow I knew there was a couple of ways to do this. But my goodness that one is just ummm ouch! my mare had a caslick however her's was just a special kind of stitch and it was left in. and the stitching cut couple of months into being in foal. All she had was tiny little dots looked like had been wearing earings. Her's was just to keep infection out to get pregnant. She ended up foaling 6 weeks early