Yellow Horse HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Eli13, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Eli13

Eli13 New Member

I am in desperate need of info here ppl!
    We have recently taken on a horse whos base coat colour is yellow. I think she is supposed to be bay (of some description) and she is a TB. She is in okay condition- not fab but with the amount of food im stuffing down her throat she has put on a teensy bit of weight. She has been wormed within an inch of her life- the first thing that i thought when i saw her was 'worms' but apparently not! I've just recently chucked her on a mineral mix Equimin.
    Previously they had been feeding her nothing but chaff and a handful of lucerne :mad:. She is now on Oaten Chaff, Lucerne Chaff, Flaky Bran & Kind n Cool.
    I'm at my wits ends here guys- all suggestions gratefully listened too! My vet is coming out to do my horses next week so will get him to have a gander at this one too....but in the mean-time.....

FYI- They brought her onto my property without being wormed drenched teeth or ANYTHING done for close to a year :eek: despite having signed a contract. I just about flipped! They are also very unwilling to get a vet out despite the poor thing being unable to canter in a circle on one rein.

Any ideas feeding-wise or anything really!
    So yeah- yellow coated horse- not looking healthy-HELP!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Kind and kool is basically bran anyway. And bran is not a very good quality feed. The horse will need good quality protein, easiest in the form of lupins and lucerne, at least 2kg of each per day. Plus unlimited oaten hay.

3. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Horses that are in some kind of physical pain will often develop a 'yellow' ness to their coats. With what you said about how the horse can't manage a canter circle I would say there is something going on either with its back, neck or legs, or maybe all of them! First thing I'd be doing is getting a vet out, then some Bowen or chiropractic work done on it.
    If its not putting on weight what condition are its teeth? A horse with poor teeth either from age or from lack of dentistry work will not chew and use it feed properly. Best things I find for weight gain (once everything else has been addressed) is ad lib good quality hay, hard feeds of lucerne chaff, whole soaked barley and whole soaked lupins, split into 3 feeds a day if possible. Whole grains will be cheaper to feed than pelleted feeds too.

4. Eli13

Eli13 New Member

Thanks for the replies
    She's already getting the oaten hay (just assumed that was a given! sorry!). Between the green pick and the lucerne it easily waaay over the 2kg mark anyway. The Kind N Kool is not optional unfortunately as that is what the owner supplies (though i am not above pulling a swifty on that one! Who knows- may be able to switch it out with my stock feeder). The unmodified bran is nominal amount, mainly to mix in the equimin and mol- little cow manages to leave it behind otherwise.
    Perhaps this would be easier if i weighed what she is getting!

My personal horses are on a mix of wheatbix (fed for coat and fat and no colic) and coolmax (obvious reasons). Tried the lass on both wheatbix (sent her through the roof- too much energy and subsequent loss of weight) and coolmax (caught her trying to fly). I personally don't feed lupins in any way shape or form ever! My next step was boiled barley. Pain in the ass to cook but she won't eat rolled. What do you think about soyabean meal? Haven't heard much, are horses generally non-fussy about it?

Either way I can't see her making huge inroads on coat condition. Any ideas as to underlying coat colour? She looks like a horse that is greying out via yellow. It's icky and she is too old to be doing it.

Lets not discuss the condition of her teeth shall we? Lets just say that it has really sharp teeth and I'm not happy. BUT VERY VALID POINT! Finally cracked at the 9 week mark and got her feet done as they were mucking around too much. That was a nice $100 for me to wear. Suspect I'm going to be paying for teeth next week too! Funny considering they are supposed to be paying me for agistment.

I have no idea what to do about the vet- on one hand there is the issue of horse welfare and on the other there is the fact that i cannot afford to pay for someone elses horse. Argh! people need liscences to own a horse!

Anyway sorry about the rant- back to the feed issue....

5. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Its their horse so the payment for any health care is their responsibilty but it sounds like they are the type that won't pay out for that kind of care. The one that suffers is always the horse :( As hard as it is, unless you want to be shelling out big $$$$ for someone elses horse I would be stepping back from the situation. Maybe ring, email or write a letter to them outlining your concerns about the horse then leave it to them. If the horse gets worse contatc the RSPCA but then it looks bad 'cos the animal is on your property! I don't envy you.

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

And how old is the mare??

The yellow coat is a result of long term poor feeding and management, but that can be corrected over time.

The current feeding regime is a maintenance one, not a conditioning one.

Teeth, feet, drenching and worming are the first issues to address. Then correct feeding which I can advise upon once I know more info.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

The advise I would give here only applies if you actually own the horse, you dont own the horse, you are only required to see that its basic needs are met.

BASIC, not advanced feed and suppliments, not bloods, not radical intervention, if the horse needs these, then either get the owner to do it, or if they wont, get them to remove the horse from your property.

8. topdeck82

topdeck82 New Member

What is her manure like? If its loose and there is an over active hind gut there may be acidity problems which would prevent her from putting on weight-as they arent getting the goods out of the feeds you give her. Ive started Alkapellet and have had great results. If in doubt take her to the vet?

9. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

So is her feed able to be changed or ios she stuck on the 'agistment feed'?

Does she have unlimited oaten and at least 2kg of lucerne only per day? Any grass is additional.

You still havent said how old the horse is as this may change things. She may need a veteran feed.

As has been said, the other issues like teeth etc are obviously very important, so until they are sorted the horse will stay as is.

The yellow colour is probably the least of your worries. Whos horse is it anyway?

Why on earth wont you feed lupins?
    Why are you worried about her getting hot when she obviously needs the feed doesnt she? Shes not getting ridden is she?
    Soybean meal is highly likely to be on the sifted out/untouchable list with fussy horses as it can have a slightly bitter taste. Canola meal may be better.

$100 for feet? I hope you got shoes for that! :eek:

10. Eli13

Eli13 New Member

Club IgniteThis horse is on agistment at my place
    I provide basic feed of oaten chaff, lucerne and bran. The ppl who own the horse then provide whatever pellets/other feedstuffs that they want. Hence her being on the kind n kool as its rather cheap for these ppl. Anything that is provided (at this point) will be coming out of my pocket rather than theirs.
    Right lets make this clear- she has as much hay as she wants- she is in green pick of rye and kike up to her knees (no its not rancid). Yes her lucerne is up there and acceptable. Ive done the ratios etc and its plentyful in quantity. The horse is supposed to be 8 but looking at it's teeth i'd probably peg her closer to 5.
    I don't see the point of heating a horse up so all it does is bog lap around the paddock all day- burning up fat it can't really afford to loose in the first place and churning up my pasture. I kept her on the feed for 2 weeks thinking she would settle etc- no such luck! She is currently being ridden and no, i cannot do anything about that but its pretty low intensity (It's amazing the way the jump poles keep going missing at my place! :p). And yes $100 was shoes as well. Lupins are a long story- its a personal choice that I am quite comfortable with.
    I am aware that teeth are quite paramount in care. I'm asking for a stop gap measure to help in the interim while I try really hard to kick these people into gear with their horse care. Canola meal is definately a player i suspect! Thanks for the info about Soyabean :)

TopDeck82- her manure is tight and a nice colour but there is a probably more manure produced than the average horse. thankyou for bringing that up- i hadn't thought of that! Maybe ulcers? but the manure would be a reddish brown colour wouldn't it? Give alkapet a whirl perhaps- I'll go do some research on it :)
    Sharaway & Caroline & Ali- She is supposed to 8 but her teeth say closer to 5. I know i'm only responsible for basic care- but I'm a bit of a bleeding heart with animals and this mare clearly is not peachy. She stands out something cruel in amongst the rest. I've jumped, screamed and damn near clobbered them with something trying to get them to do something about this horse. Writing a letter is my next point of call i think. On one hand i want to wash my hands of the whole thing but the horse will suffer more- so? Might offer to buy it for $500 or something. The idiot girl is now talking about breeding her. How can you possibly do that if you can't afford/know how to look after one horse?!?

A friend suggested mixing in some Breeda in conjuction something extra (canola meal etc) to give her a kick start. I dunno about that. What do you think?
    I'd be more inclined to pop her on Economix Active with the slightly higher protein or Gumnuts. Which one of the two is less heating? Had good results with Gumnuts with older horses in the past. I'm starting her on boiled barley tonight. Wish me luck for both the stinky house and the horse!

11. Diana

Diana Gold Member

If you do buy her......don't pay $500. **)

Other than that, not much I can say besides what's already been said. Good luck!!!! & I hope you can work something out.

12. venruebin1

venruebin1 New Member

Things worth trying that shouldn't cost to much:

I would treat her for sand. I personally use John O'Leary's formula and have had good success. Particularly good for horses that have been poor for a while and does improve the coat as well.

I would then be adding Mitavite extruded barley as it is good for weight gain, easy to feed and doesn't send them loopy. I have tried Breeda but have had no success with it.

Lastly I would add tuff rock conditioner. It is about $45 for a litre and you only add 20ml a day. I have found it is awesome. I have an old TB that I have struggled to get weight on for years and after using this, I have actually had to reduce his feed.

13. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

If you are reluctant to use lupins then you need to try a different source of protein. Barley is good, but those horses that are sensitive to starch, can often get hot from them. That's the good thing about lupins, they are a pulse, not a grain and are higher in protein, lower in starch. I would also look at whole oats, they are actually the highest in soluble fibre, resulting in slower digestion and are relatively low in starch. You don't want to go overboard with protein either. The most important thing is that the diet is balanced.

If I were you, I would be suggesting a higher quality pellet to these ppl, that isn't going to break the budget, like the Thompson and Redwood Pony Cubes in the blue bag, they are much better quality then Kind and Kool and not too expensive.

I used to feed my fussy boy (didn't like lupins, didn't like copra), wheaten or oaten chaff, T & R pony cubes, a cup of canola meal am and pm, and a good vitamin/mineral mix, as well as celery seeds, acv, garlic and salt. Oh and as much hay as he could eat. Everything else (barley ect, breeda) sent him through the roof. He was a bag of bones, with a very dull coat when I got him and looked fantastic when I'd finished.

14. Sharaway

Ok, so you insist on going the extra mile for this horse at your cost, so be it.

Teeth, and bloods, get the vet to run her bloods, she could be low in Iron, copper, anything, and a short course of Hemo 15, or an Iron Supplement will change her coat.

However, as this is NOT your horse, you need to be very carefully what you do here, if you (even all well meaning) ran bloods on my horse, or changed its feed with out my express permission I would be rather pissed off.

Honesty is the best policy, invite the owner/parents in for a cup of tea and tell them what you suggest and what you want to do, and that you are prepared to do it at YOUR cost, to a point, and see if they will agree, if they agree, then have an agreement ready for them to sign, that you have permission, and they accept any unforeseen consequences, Ie horse contracts infection from needle site and dies...

See my point, never forget no good deed goes unpunished.

Good Luck, personally, retardo horse owners like this are far better off NOT on your property.

15. beau

beau Well-known Member

You say you have a contract with these people, and its your property, and its being ridden but you dont have a say in it. Well you do, as you have duty of care for the horse, also depending on what is in your contract and how it is worded the horse should have been put into quarantine paddock if it hadnt been wormed as you say it wasnt.

As to the horse, we had a clients horse at our last place who looked 'yellow' and after bloods were taken found out he was jaundice with liver abnormality. It took over 6mths of care (no riding), using micro feeds, and also different antitoxs for his liver. He did come good and went on to be a great eventer.

I hope the owners have the sence to listen to what advise is being offered and you do not become the giver and them the takers. Good luck.

16. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

As Sharaway suggested the best way to determine the problem is to take blood and have the results read by a vet. I had one which had a coat starting to turn a funny colour and when the blood came back it suggested that she had a virus. The vet described it as the body using the proteins to fight the issue (virus in this case) rather than putting in the effort to have a nice healthy coat. Any sort of inflammation, pain, allergy or sickness can cause the coat to change colour. Once the issue has been addressed you should start to see an improvement in the coat.

17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Similarly to beau, when I bought Andy at auction a cpl of years ago, he was yellow-coated from anaemia. He was infested with body-lice and had been on very poor nutrition. He was still slighty yellow for a good 6months after we got him, but did eventually darken up with care. BUT...he was our horse, not an agisters ;)

18. Eli13

Eli13 New Member

Thanks for your responses guys, they have been very helpful!
    -I am somewhat horrified at the implication that someone wouldn't go the extra mile for a horse if their funds permit....but i understand some of us are somewhat jaded by the horse industry.
    However back to topic... Yes of course the first thing that i did was separate that mare out then worm the living hell etc out of the rest of them! Never fear- my heart shudders at the thought of anything else.
    I am NOT calling the vet for this horse unless it is life threatening/infected etc you get the picture. I'm still paying off my last vet bill for my own horses let alone someone elses! Story of all our lives i'd imagine!
    I am looking for ideas that I can use in her feed- hence the feeding topic :p. This is where i have the greatest degree of control as per the contract. Lets face it- an extra bag of feed is not exactly going to break the bank- If the budget is really that tight simply don't buy that bottle of wine or new boots etc. A fact that I'm still trying to drum into those owners.
    As i'm sure those ppl in WA know- most contracts in WA do NOT stand up in court so you do have to have a mile of insurance etc. We have no laws to support us in that regard unlike SA or NSW. I can't control whether she rides the horse- no vet etc has been out- legally it is her horse and if she wants to take it of the property and bush ride it- I can do NOTHING! Trust me on this one- legally i've checked! The best that i can do at this point is make sure it has enought boots and bandages on to start up a small hospital before it leaves my property.
    However- thankyou for the vet advice- i will definetly be passing it along. Say at about 70 decibels! J/J! But this issue is greatly concerning to me and will have a chat to my vet when he comes next week. Hopefully he can draw me up an idea of what she needs and a possible payment plan for me to present to them.
    Thankyou for the Thompson and Redwood Pony Cubes idea- I'll definately be giving owners a firm kick that way in my letter. I'll ask about the Tuff Rock as well while i'm at it.
    Like i said before- I'm asking for ideas for a stop gap measure to help in the interim while I try really hard to kick these people into gear with their horse care. And I'm all about covering my own butt so don't stress there :p

19. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

Good on you for doing what you can, you can only hope that the owners appreciate it, although from what I'm reading this will be unlikely. I would suggest tackling it along the lines of "I haven't seen a coat like that since a few years ago when we had one who had underlying pain issues, after a month off with some good feed the horse improved heaps". It may or may not be a pain issue but from what you described about the canter it probably is. If it is not, at least the suggested month off should be enough for it to improve from any illness it may have. This might not work but at least you have tried a non-confrontational method first and can get more assertive later on if need be. Good luck!

20. Sharaway

No amount of feed will help if the horse has an underlying issue like renal failure.

But for an overall coat conditioner Livermol, feed a cup a day, if you don't see a marked improvement in 2 weeks then there is most certainly more going on that what feed alone will fix.