yellow chestnut!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by himitsu, May 9, 2009.

1. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

I clipped my chestnut boy... he had to be clipped as he was too sweaty and the time i ride etc... Problem is that his colour is not good. He still has the hint of copper sheen but the base colour is really pale.
    [​IMG]
    I was hoping to do a hack show in a few weeks... but im worried that his coat is just so gross! So do any hackies have advice?

2. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

although i'm not a hackie would you take my advice?:)

3. Kosta

Kosta New Member

Hey my boy did the same when i clipped him but he also has alot of black threw his legs so they have gone a grey colour ive just used a colour enhancer and chestnut intenserfing shampoo. He has come up alot better in the coat with a great golden shine to him alothough his legs still have a touch of grey im going to cover them with raven oil for the hack day. :)* good luck with it all hope this helps some what.

4. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

This is normal colour for a clipped chestnut and his colour will return in about six weeks. I dont think a judge would take much notice of this as they will know that he has been clipped. You will see many horses that have just been clipped and if they are not lighter than normal, you can bet you bippies that they have been dyed, or have had a colour enhancer used.

5. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

You forgot to clip his ears..... lol

I'm sure he will already look 10 times better clipped(no matter what colour he is) than the being hairy like many of the others will be, I'm pretty sure your not doing the Royal or HOTY so don't even stress about it.

6. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Hot oiling his coat will help to improve the condition of the hair and the skin and will give him a lovely shine to his coat.
    But there's not really anything you can do about his colour.

Check out the colour that Honda went...
    from this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

7. PELLY20

PELLY20 Active Member

I always feed groom it has stuff in it for coats and my horses are really dark .Chestnuts always go a yellow colour

8. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Not always Pelly... see the pics of my boy above :D

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

how do you do a hot oil treatment?

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I just clipped my Chestnut Tobiano filly & she has not gone yellow. Most of my chestnuts when clipped don't go yellow.

Only 1 did (more peachy coloured) but i only had him here a week before clipping & he wasn't in the best health anyway.
    He had most of his original colour back in 1 week thanks to Ironcyl (sp).

Plus i don't dye neither. ;)

11. Kaisi

Kaisi Well-known Member

What is this magic stuff you speak of? And where can I get my hands on some?

12. Remaani

Remaani Guest

13. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Don't panic if you can't get the Ironcyclen.
    It's basically any liquid iron supplement that also contains copper.
    It darkens their coat right up.
    I couldn't get the ironcyclen from the stockfeeder that I went to but that had one called Advanced Iron Plus (or something like that), it did the same job.

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

am clipping our little chestnut "loan pony" next week...will be interesting, apparently he goes a colour very similiar to a pally:D

15. madcow

madcow Guest

yer, ya forgot his ears:p

There's always condies ROFLMO:p;)

Cacoliv is a cheap easy to use paste that 'might' help a bit within 3 weeks.

16. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

I tried really really hard but wasnt allowed LOL *#)

17. himitsu

Yeh if Piggy didnt kill you for touching his ears, and i didnt kill you for clipping them out, you can bet your bottom dollar Dr S would have killed you when she got back from the Navy.... Ditto for wiskers hahaha

18. himitsu

do you have before and after pics of the ironcyclen? I have put him on sunflower oil in the hope that will work. I tried the hot oil thing (the one from the pharmacy) and it made his coat dull and all the dust stick to it, so i washed with kohnkes and rinced with ACV, that helped get a bit of shine back. People at DAWA yesterday can testify that he is an AWEFUL colour.
    Oh and its not a health thing - he is very healthy, being worked and groomed daily, on good food etc. He had great coloured coat before clipping - i think its "just a chestnut thing"

19. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Remaani , I didn't say all chestnuts go this colour.
    I was referring to those who have more yellow in their coats than red.
    The lighter or duller colour differ because of the amount of red or yellow in the coat.

Last edited: May 11, 2009