Yearling Prep

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Clerrt, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

Hi All

As yearling prep time is coming around again, what do you guys think the chances are of getting a job on the school holidays just for december and january?

I know roughly what is involved, but can anyone go into specifics if they have the time..please :)??

I've worked in a racehorse and show jumping stables before, so have a bit of experience - but even so, I understand this can be a whole different kettle of fish ;)

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

For the sales you have to be 18+ to be a leader for insurance purposes :) Im sure you could pick up some work at the studs, but as Leti said VERY dangerous work most of these "teenagers" are basically unhandled and you mix good feed and hormones into it and you can have yourself apotential disaster*#) You have to be on the ball with them as most are as cunning as S#$T house rats!!!!!!

3. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

agree with merlin they are such little turds most of them have just come from the paddock not had alot of handling and dont really want to be touched so it can be very hard not an easy job yearling prep but also very rewarding knowing that they come in feral as then the end result is you have very quiet horses :D

4. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

Okie Dokie - thanks for that feedback lol

I think I might be able to wangle a position where I work in enchange for "lessons" in handling youngstock - which means I might be ready for next season :p

5. FlowerPower

FlowerPower New Member

I worked one Summer at a leading stud in Gidgegannup and didnt find it that difficult at all apart from the heat. Their yearlings were actually really well behaved!!!!

I had no experience with prepping yearlings and the staff were really helpful. Was a great experience. As long as you are prepared to listen and use common horse sense then you should be fine.

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Just remember to always stand at their shoulder I always use 20ml black poly pipe while lead training them, a few wacks with it and they soon pull their heads in, it dosent hurt and makes a really loud noise*#)

7. Bee Bop

Bee Bop New Member

A well managed reputable stud will do their best to mantain the safety of new staff on a yearling prep, especially those who may be inexperienced in the preparation of yearlings. Having worked on several preps with both experienced and inexperienced staff I'd say go for it but be prepared to listen to the senior staff and never over estimate your own capabilities**)