Yearling prep

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Shiobhan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

No but am directly to give them a call as I have heard nothing.

I am pretty harsh on my own horses. I know he is not as tall as some from the same stud he was 3 weeks early as a foal but is just as solid as them. I think his conformation is pretty good but I havent seen him in a long time lol sine Feb I think.

I ticked westspeed becuase if he does or doesnt sell then I will still have that done.

No guarantee about the premier I know but I feel happier leaving him in there that the inspectors feel he might be worth the risk.

Oh well will find out soon enough I guess!

2. Shiobhan

well I just got the call. His made the sale but not 1st day select. 2nd day select. Atleast there is some hope and not kicked out the door for the easter sale.

They only inspect first day horses.

what now will I leave him in or keep him lol

3. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Leave him in......if he gets passed in you will be taking him home anyway :p

4. Shiobhan

true never thought of it like that. Ok so his in lol

Ive only ever brought at a sale via a agent shall make the effort to go and watch him try and sell next year lol

5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

just be sure to check what happens if he is passed in. It used to be that you still had to pay the MM people if it was passed in.

Make sure you put a realistic reserve price on him.

I prep'd yearlings for a few years but quite a while ago now. We never shod the horses. They were groomed for half an hour every day, clipped ears and coronet bands, taught to load on the float, taught to lead and trot up.

If you have experience with working with horses there is no reason you couldn't do it yourself but you have to understand babies and their mind set. It is easy to cause problems if you dont know what you are doing.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. Jez

Jez Gold Member

MM charge 8% commission on horses passed in based on the sum total between the reserve and the last bid....which is why you dont put $100,000 reserves on...Ive found the 8% can be a little negotiable (A lot negotiable in fact) if your communication skills are good.... ;)

7. Shiobhan

Wont be prep'ing any time soon Im 2000kms away. Currently have a 2 yr old colt in the stable and his enough let alone a yearling lol keeps rubbing me the wrong way and his mummy will come back to a colt 2 stones lighter lol

8. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

It is 8% if you sell 3% if you don't plus all the lovely fees. 3% of a meaty reserve is still a lot of money but it is catch 22 as if you do not put a decent reserve on your horse they will not work as hard to sell it, you will usually find that if they get within 10-20% of your reserve they will turn around and say "will you take that?" for this reason go behind the box because generally if you put 20k on you will take 18k but they can't ask you if your not there. Weird that they are not inspecting him they usually inspect all of ours but maybe that is because they are at the property any way. They do inspect them at the complex before they sell them and this something you really want them to do, you need to 'sell' your horse to them and don't be negative they are going to be your marketing campiagn.

9. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

They do inspect all horses that are nominated. They will then tell you what sale you are in from that inspection.

10. Shiobhan

They already told me what day he is on and they will not be inspecting him. WA MM Manager rang me said my paper work will be sent up to me to continue on.

If they inspect him will let you know but as far as I know and was told yesterday they are not inspecting him.

11. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

No probs.
    They usually have their minds made up before they inspect anyway. Would be much easier if they did a few more that way, saves a lot of stress this time of year with foaling/breeding etc the last thing ppl need to worry about is yearlings for inspections. they all look like hairy yaks anyway!!

12. Jez

Jez Gold Member

OR 8% if MT decides he thinks your an idiot because you didnt take the $500 off the reserve from last bid and wants to be a tosser....as I said, depending on your communication skills and if you let MT bully you into the 8% - a quick call to MMs head office got MT to shut his trap about the 8% which was removed from the paperwork after a call to head office. Not a fan of MT after that little episode. That was at a ready to run not a yearling sale but I would stress that MT does try and pull this crap...

13. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yep they are quite the money making operation hey Jez. know your rights and make them work because whatever happens they get paid.

14. Shiobhan

well everything has changed since this topic lol have got a yearling prep lined up well 99% sure will sort it out tomorrow with a phone call. And he should get inspected with these people well atleast there going to do their best to have him inspected.

cant talk mare foaled! off to breeding

15. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Well if it is any help at all, im interested in taking in 2 yearlings for prep this season.....

16. torridonequine

torridonequine Active Member

We offer yearling prep here at Torridon Lodge and also take yearlings into agistment straight from the sales . We recommend a 10 -12 week prep depending on condition and handling of yearling .

17. Shiobhan

thanks guys but Im keeping him and racing him myself later.