Yearling prep

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Shiobhan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

now this is just a general enquiry I dont need it but becuase this is my first time now Im curious.

Who has sent a yearling to the sales before and what kind of money did you spend doing the prep or if you did it yourself.

My first yearling is no Redoute Choice's but from a good so called bread winner stallion. I thought he was the bee's knee when I picked him lol but hey it was my first time.

His booked in with the stud to do prep however if he doesnt make first select/premier select then I will pull him from the sale as I dont know if he would make the money back to cover the prep espscially after last years down fall with the economice crisis etc the prices were lower than normal.

So after I got the stud's prices I just had a sniff around to try get a vague idea if they were all the same. I figure studs with higher prep cost are perhaps? dont quote me Im a novice/first time hobby breeder here so DONT shoot me! they are proberly the ones to try get in with as they obviously are in demand and do a good job. Not to say others dont but demand would reflect pricing no?

the price difference was a little wow'ing to me. I found some close to $45 dollers cheaper per day, most average about 20-30 cheaper. And two were 20-30 more than the one his in with.

So just wondering about yearling sales in general about their preps etc. I know alot of work and time goes into them. But I felt it was a kick in the teeth but I spose thats becuase I jumped in with my first mare (I openly admitted she was not the best mare to use form wise) and foal was always a possible keeper. Just thought I would dabble in a sale or two and it dishearten me some what.

My other mare due like yesterday is a sale producing mare that is all I know have had 2 studs try buy her from me. And with the first foal I learnt from about picking a sale type sire. So her foal is set for prep etc to make it the best of the best can be.

So just a random topic I guess, shall go now and ponder more lol

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

If you want to keep costs down and not eat into your profit, do it yourself :)

I would say it would cost you $25-$30 max a day to do it yourself, depending on condition of yearling usually 10 weeks prep to get them in sale condition, leading and standing. For the premier sale you should have xrays and scope done so add $1000. Trimming/ shoeing for sale another $250.

Great fun making over grotty yearlings :) Even better when they go over reserve :)

3. Shiobhan

unfortunatly I can not do it myself Im in Port Hedland and my horses are kept at Windal Park in pinjarra on agistment.

Do yearlings really get shoes put on for the sale? I remember someone saying this but thought they were joking.

He will go back to stud that bred him for the prep in November for 3 months apprently. Just thought I would start shopping around for the next foal due now lol

4. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Yep, shoes for sales:D

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Shoes?? I look at it this way, alot of yearlings go straight to the breakers after the sale, it is more professional and you want a good price.

Will PM you :)

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

yes yearlings get shoes for the sales! omg i know. I did my first prep last year with a stud (nothing of my own) and it was a bit of an eye opener.

7. Shiobhan

lol ok so shoes are a normal thing. I havent ever been to a yearling sale. Will be making the effort for this foal due lol

Im not fussed if this guy makes the grade for premier. I will just keep him and race him myself simple :)

learning so much either way.

8. mylittlepony

Shio can i ask what the breeding of your yearling is? and what has the dam done? has she had a winner or did she win races? is she by a good stallion herself?
    lol just realised how many questions i asked! sorry:eek:

Also, depending on your yearlings type/breeding, you may be able to get a better price at the second sale;)

9. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Give me a call tommorow Shio - best yearling prepper in town might have room to do one more...but that saying in life holds true with everything else..you get what you pay for...and yes, shoes darhlinkkk shoes ;)

10. Shiobhan

MLP msg me for my website has all the info on it you want to know Im not so good at the memory game lol

basically his Lord Dane out of a Dont Say Halo mare. The mare won at Mount Barker twice and won at Northam and placed at Narrogin and Mount Barker again.

No Ascot world beater of a mare. was all I had at the time I was allowed to breed lol I wasnt going to knock back the other from other half lol

11. Shiobhan

Lol the problem with booking the best of the best is. Im having to book now or dont get a spot right. Well Ive already decided if he dont make premier then I pull him. I dont want to waste anyones time taking up a spot only to find out in a few months his not good enough for select sale :(

playing dutch double now lol

But I'll still call you becuase I can lol

12. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

you have a daney!! whos his dam? (i work at H)

13. mylittlepony

lol Ive got your website saved to my comp, Ill go look**)

14. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

If you prep properly it is expensive ours go on soya bean, sunflower seeds, foundergaurd, ferramo, electrolytes get exercised everyday, shoes underlights and they end up looking mint. It all costs a lot and it is not suprising people charge for it we only do limited outside horses though as we have limited stables.

15. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

We don't excersise ours, curry combing for 30mins a day, and leading practice gets ours up, don't want to risk injurys, they have big enough day yards to frolic if need be.

Feed wise, adlib oaten hay, weaner pellets, equijewel, muslie(sp), flakey bran. chaff, lucerne and alittle something extra a month before;)

16. mistress72

mistress72 Active Member

can i be sticky and ask what the going rate is?

17. Shiobhan

Oh I know why it cost so much. It was just a kick in the guts first time breeder didnt do enough research (learnt now onto the 2nd foal) just I dont think he'll make that money back sale hence I made the decision if he doesnt make premier then I keep him. I dont want a bad price tag on her breeding record even if she is not a ascot winner broodmare.

Mistress price vary's from 40 plus gst up to 80 plus gst so far thats per day. Plus other fee's like advertising between 2-500 plus apperance fee (not what its called but I cant remember) basically 8-1000. And the fee's vary too with pricing as to which grade of the sale they make premier, select 1,2,3,4 type thing

Will see what the accessors say once they seen him. Could be talking about this for no reason he might be kicked out the door which solves my problem lol I just keep him oh what a shame...

18. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yeah it is a really expensive exercise and the premier is no guarantee that you'll get your money however it is often an exercise in marketing and a horse that doesn't sell in the ring may sell after though MM still grab there bit. What you always need is at least two people that really want the horse ;) often we have a case of one or two horses pay for the rest :eek: which leaves really small breeders in a difficult position selling from the farm is always easier a $5000 weanling is a $10000 yearling.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  19. Dapplegrey

Dapplegrey New Member

Can't say we always buy a yearling with shoes on and we get a few,nice neat trim and clean out,unless a hoof problem??We do not send ours straight to breakers as we think for yearlings they have had all that handling and pressure of sale that we put them out for 6-8 weeks with others to be yearlings.All I know is they can be cruxifying for breeders and they tell me the next couple of years are to be the worst,sorry.Still a buyers market?,if your yearling has the goods(confirmation,breed ect) then it will go for good money.

20. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

We put our first yearling through the April sale this year. I had done prep before but this was our first time as well.

Don't forget to add nomination fee(around $600-$700) then if you want you have westspeed(can select to have it taken out of sale price) and all of MM other lovely hidden fees, advertising etc. We sold our boy for $4000 and by the time we took out westspeed and MM fees we got a cheque for $3033. Covered his prep and that's about it.

He got sold to MM as agaent but have found out he has gone to China.

I have leased mum out (she is a Don't Say Halo mare as well) and she is in foal to Flying Pegasus.

Has he been inspected yet? They are doing the rounds at the moment.

Good luck