Yearling - need more feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by ChillOut, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

As long as he is grazing for a good part of the day (with head down) he should be fine:)*

2. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Thank you! Yes he has access to grass 24/7 and is part of the herd like as it should....**)

3. ChillOut

ChillOut Well-known Member

4. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Thanks Chill!

Hello Shell!!@) @) Cullen is growing into a fine looking horse or what!!! Lovelyfella.:D :))

Are you no longer using Compleat Feeds for Cullen????

5. Talkingshell

Hello Caroline:)

Yes I am still using the Compleat Feeds for my old fella which has kept the weight on!

However, for Cullen he just started not to eat all of it and it was just a waste of feed, just sitting in the feed bin. Just don't know why he walked away from it, it was going on for about 3 weeks.

So I had to change feed to something he likes where he'll eat all the feed up and now he's looking good.

Take care....

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I just know that you feed them what they like, what fits your budget and what gets results!**) :)* @) :D :))

Have you told Doc about that problem?? Unusual it is??

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. Talkingshell

No, I haven't....yes I guess it's unusual for Cullen to just walk away from the feed bin and just ate his hay!

Then I decided to test out the feeds I had in front of him with compleat feed and other was oats/chaff. And he took the oats/chaff as his first preference, my guess was because he was fed on oats/chaff while he was down with his breeders. This is what made me change the feed, it wasn't my choice but Cullen's and I am happy with what he is looking at the moment!

8. Feuer

Feuer Guest

Sometimes they do get fussy when you change over their feeds....different tastes.

There is another good mineral block made by Barastoc...my 2 guzzle it up fast...always have to keep on removing the blocks from their bins!:)*

The feed bin is fine then, if you feed hay from the ground and all. I know some people are fanatics about always feeding off fenclines...including hay! And a lot of people dont know that they should have their heads down for drainage.....I didnt know until I read a scarey article a few years back about it *#) Makes you wonder doesnt it! Anyway thought I would mention it as a helpful hint...but you obviously alreayd know :))

I thinkt the appaloosa looks great for a yearling...certainly dont want too much fat on those bones or joints...I think I made that mistake with my holsteiner...she was way too fat as a baby :(

9. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

Talkingshell, Cullen is a real credit to you!!! :)

Cullen was definately the 'pick' of last years foals - they were all lovely, but Cullen really stood out - he most definately has the 'wow' factor..........

And the three foals we have so far this year are all VERY nice, however Cullens half brother (out of the same mare), Dolan, is THE pick of this years as well...... he definately has the WOW factor as well!

Hes a bit of a heavier type than Cullen, and wont get as tall as Cullen (will hit the 15.3hh mark though - so still tall enough).......

But I thought Cullen was outgoing and cheeky from last year - Dolan takes the cake though........ Hes REALLY outgoing and just bowls up to you in the paddock, leaving his mother down the bottom of the paddock and gallops up screaming hello to you while he does it!! Gets up the top, looks around for mum, calls out to her once or twice, then decides shes not coming and just hangs out with me for pats and scratches!!!

Ricky has started hanging out with him heaps and is starting to do the same - Gryphon however is a bit more of a mummys boy......... but still a sweet friendly little fellow too!

Anyhow, Talkingshell - you should be DAMN proud of Cullen and how hes looking!!! We certainly are!! :) Couldnt have asked for a better home for him than with you! :)

10. Talkingshell

I certainly am really pretty chuffed in how he is growing up and he's looking good which is the main thing! Was not expecting him to fill out nicely but is growing up pretty fast for sure! I was awaitng for him to go through the 'gangly' stages but he hasn't!

*** ChillOut*** I did not mean for to completely overtake your thread with my stuff....sorry!

11. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Chillout your boy looks fine to me also, definatley worth pursuing something different for his feeds.

Shell what can i say :) cullen is looking fab, well done he is a lovely boy:))