Yearling - need more feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by ChillOut, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ChillOut

ChillOut Well-known Member

Reading all the feeding posts

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

i don't think so his weight looks fine, boy he is cute :)* But if he gets really skinny then yes, when was he last wormed?

3. ChillOut

4 weeks ago :)

4. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

ooo what a handsome young man.. I love appy's *dream*...one day :)

I think his weight looks okay

If your worried I would just give him some chaff and pellets, hopefully he will develop a taste for them

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

He looks fine:) IMO one of the biggest mistakes people can make with growing babies is to have too much weight on**)

6. madcow

madcow Guest

OK I'm no expert on feeding babies and am very new to all this.

I think your yearlings weight looks good and it is better to have them slightly thinner than too fat as you can get probs with DJD's.

There is a school of thought that babies do best off natural pastures and grass etc but I think Australia esp in Summer would be lacking in Nutrition and not much value in it. Even with the addition of salt licks and mineral blocks I think the diet might be lacking. Natuaral grass Diet deffinately good for the gut though.

I'm going with the school of thought that babies need lots of protein to grow well bone and muscle etc which is why weaning and grow pellets and other feeds for youngstock are so high in Protein. Again too much Protein can cause probs with DJD's but that's where you just have to keep an eye on things.

It's weird that your younster is not interested in weaning pellets? Did it eat them with it's mum as a foal, maybe a new taste?

I don't have much grass in my paddocks and my babies get the following 2x a day......Chaff, Lucern Chaff, Weaning Pellets, Equlibrium mineral mix and carrots. Plus oaten hay once a day.

My pony bred yearlings actually eat more than my 15.3h TB show horse in work each!

7. ChillOut

While the grass was still green, they didn't even turn up for their hard feed. I have only just started a few week ago with hay and carrots. I have been trying to add something to his, but he is not interested. Maybe I will just try some plain oats tonight.

They get a loose mineral/vitamin mix ad lib, not a block.

8. madcow

madcow Guest

What do you mix the loose vitamin mix into then? Do they come up every day and eat it straight?:confused:

My turn their nose up at the vitamins and I have to mix (hide) it well in the mixed feed.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had my yearling on chaff, lucerne chaff, weaner pellets and boiled barley (ok and a bit of conola oil to help with his coat for the states that he didn't make it to anyway).
    But now he's on holidays he's only on chaff, lucerne chaff and weaner pellets plus a biccy of hay morning and night and holds his condition well:

[​IMG]

I wanted to keep it basic as possible and he seems to be doing well. But in a month or two will go back on the barley and anything else to help boost his condition for a few shows he's headed for.

Goodluck I think you boy is stunning!

10. ChillOut

Thank you,
    it's hard to take a good photo of him as he is always so relaxed! Must be the Appy side of things. We don't go to shows or anything (yet), I couldn't even say if he was worth taking anyway.

The mineral/vitamin is a loose mix from a local stock feeder designed to offer ad lib for horses that don't get a regular hard feed. It does have a bit of flavour in it (compared to the equilibrium) so that they eat it. They look good and are healthy so I guess they must be doing ok.

[​IMG]

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I think he looks great!

I fed Jet & Comet as yearlings on lupins, barley, both chaffs, Equi-Min & copra twice daily, they had 24/7 access to hay, i prefer them to have lots of roughage & a bikkie here & there wasnt enough for him, especially during summer when we have limited/no paddock feed at home.

The people that feed pellet feeds (i do with my foals, weanlings & preg mini mares), do you feed the recommended amount on the bag? Or if not, do you add a mineral/vitamin supplement? (i always as vit/min)

Yearling pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ChillOut

They both look very nice, quite a bit bigger than my boy but he was born relatively late (12th January).

I might just up his hay and try with oats and barley.

Cheers

13. Teddie1980

also remember that young ones go through their "fugly" stages

14. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I also too, think he looks great! You don't want to get him too fat or otherwise he'll get problems with DJD or OCD!

I feed Cullen on No.1 Racehorse Oats, both chaffs, Equivit Perform, Rice Bran, Ranvet 500Plus, Oil, Hoof Pep and ample of hay (grassy, barley or lucerne hays). I feed him twice daily and the feeds I have Cullen on has helped with my $$$ budget. It last longer than what I used to feed him with, had to tighten my budget as I live on the family allowance that goes out to my horses!

Cullen, photos taken 2 days ago but not the best quality because it was taken off my mobile phone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Wow Shell, he's maturing beautifully, hasnt he grown!
    He looks minto! **) :)*

16. Teddie1980

i was just about to say the same thing!!

17. Talkingshell

Thanks Remaani and Teddie1980 :)

He's over 14.3hh at this moment, maybe 15hh not sure yet, haven't really stand next to him to be extact!

18. Feuer

Feuer Guest

Hi Shell...just a quick tip...I always put my horses feedbins on the ground, I read somewhere years ago that it can be dangerous to always feed them with the bins up high .

You boy looks lovely and in good nick!!:)*

19. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Whats the name of that loose mineral mix you buy Chillout??:confused:

Esperance??

20. Talkingshell

I would love to keep feed him on the ground, however he was fed on the ground for 4 months since he arrived from SA. I had no choice but to feed him on the fence line because he tips everything out of the feed bin onto the ground...don't like it! He was picking up dirt along with dipped out feed as well! However he gets his hay on the ground anyway!

However my other 2 big boys has been fed on the fence line for over 15 years, haven't had any trouble at all....