Yearling Buyers Guide...

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Jez, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Ok so you want to buy a yearling - good on you, you fool. Anyway, being one of the biggest fools of all and a repeat serial offender thought i might offer some tips from some of the things ive learned.

Always ring vendor and ask if you can view yearling prior to sale, assuming you have done your homework on the current financial market etc.

Go out and have a look at the yearling at an agreed time, prebuying appeals to vendors and saves in commissions a lot of the time.

When you go out to view yearling, make sure stud people have forgotten your coming and horse looks like a hairy wombat when you arrive, give them the benefit of the doubt and dont object when they say at least let me run a brush over it.

Go into box while vendor gives yearling a tidy up. Have a chat. Yes its a yearling so its allover you they do that.....annoying but they grow out of it. Watch vendor run brush over fat wombat standing there in your chinese safety boots.

Do not get all drama queenie when yearling rears up whilst directly infront of you and proceeds to strike and carry on directly over your head with no malice, more arrogant cheekiness. Dont freak. This is an extremely important step. Just stand dead still and focus on horses bellybutton.

Apache cat, TT, Northerly, they were all purchased not on pedigree or type but on the state of their bellybuttons. Astute buyers the world over insist on seeing the horses belly button along with xrays as a condition of sale.

After you have inspected belly button and moved to the more spacious surroundings outside the box stand back and look at the rest of the horse.

Ask questions...."never put a hoof wrong" at sales time means "bloody things a psycopath and has put three people in hospital during yearling prep", good doer means fat as a pumpkin (or festively plump dear miz tracey), "pretrainer only needed a couple of weeks with it" means "couldnt stand the idiot thing on his property for one more second". Jeez vendor will even throw in a carrot stick.

........Real gamblers buy yearlings ;)

2. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

PMSL very informative Jez:))

3. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

Nice advice Jez....

Have a look at lot # 53 in the Westspeed sale......nice boy he is;)

4. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

Lol Jez thats a good one :))

Have been banned from the yearling sales this year by the OH ( well thats what he thinks **) )

5. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Yes, Yes but whats his bellybutton like.......can you post a pic of it please?

6. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

and for when youre at the sale.......

wait until the exhausted staff finally get to sit down to have some lunch or a rest before asking to see the horse outside the box:(

make sure you dont ask if you can pick up its feet or look at its teeth

if you have a young child/baby, make sure you take your pram, its great for seeing how quiet yearlings really are and also doubles as a great way to fend off any yearlings going troppo:mad:

if another person is already veiwing a horse, make sure you wait until the tired, grumpy, hungry, thirsty handler has put said horse back into its box and taken the halter off before you ask to see the horse.*#)

ask to see the horse walk towards you, away from you, past you, trot in circles until the handler gets dizzy, stand square at least 10 times and then go away and come back with a friend in 10 minuetes and ask to see it all over again:confused:

make sure you bring your 2 horse float to take home your very expensive yearling that has never been on a float before and the ride on the truck to the sales was its very first trip anywhere*#)

7. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Yes Yes MLP but i like to come back a third time with trainer just so i can see that forced smile/gritted teeth look on staffs faces *#)*#)

8. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

haha PMSL

*Remembers to never ever be "that staff" when Jez is coming to view the horse your leading.....run.."

9. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

bahaha...bellybutton selection pmsl

10. Cowgirl Kid

Cowgirl Kid Well-known Member

You guys forgot to add that an umbrella is a must! Sunburnt isn't the most attractive shade of red! The shade cloth at the sales doesn't do enough to protect one from the sun.

Oh and ALWAYS walk on the opposite side to the handler.. that way you can see the whole of the horse.

I've noticed that if the horse is not willing to show you its bellybutton (as many of OURS are shy!!), it's common practice to get right under to inspect the horse's back feet and quickly sneak a peak. You don't want to give away a good bellybuttoned horse to the other prospective buyers.

11. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

Hmmmm leave it to me Jez and I will see what I can do.:p

12. Jez

Jez Gold Member

You girls crack me up I AM SO SORRY Roflmao - handlers must have gone god shes a twat after doing that lunch thing (I am guilty, sorry) theres a reason we do that......so we can justify it to ourselves...you fool, you cant possibly want another one of the stupid things!. I have been a vendor too, dont those malaysians like to see you get the horse in and out and dance the friggin macarena?

First person to post a bellybutton pic wins.....the first person to post a bellybutton pic award *#)

Shy.....pmsl....yes the sneaky look - cant give away too much.

13. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Ha ha
    One of the best horses we ever sold gave his soon to be trainer a really good veiw of his bellybutton when he skittled my sister before going into the ring. The dude came and informed us that he was taking him home to geld him after buying him...

14. mylittlepony

pmsl, jezzy if ur back for the third time then those smiles are really forced!:p you always leave the sales with sore cheeks from all the forced smiling.#(

also another tip for buyers.....NO I will NOT be a love and get you a damn coffee!*#)

15. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

My personal favourite is when your getting the yearlings prepped for the ring and people suddenly decide now is a good time to look at it walk and walk and walk and then Carol is on the PA practically yelling at you to get your lot to the parade ring and still the person wants you to show them the horse. I've been quite abrupt in the past and said no sorry we are too busy to show you the horse right now. Bad luck as they have all frickin week!!! They usually do this when you have 6 or 7 lots real close together!!!!*#)

Or you are underneath in the last parade ring and someone says "Can you stand it up please?" and its either a randy colt who gets excited about the traffic jam being created behind him or a toey filly who soon freaks at the randy colts suddenly 2 feet from her bum!! That is always interesting!!!!

16. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Too true and you usually have this great plan in your head of how to get them up the shoot so smoothly and it's all wrecked.

17. Jez

Jez Gold Member

And while your doing that.....the randy colt is planning on how to shoot up the toey filly Hehe *#)

18. mylittlepony

pmsl, will have to teach the yearlings to do the macarena before the sale this year:p:p

misskel, im guilty of telling people to bugger off when im trying to get a horse ready for the sale ring. dont they get that its gotta go thru the ring for them to buy it?:mad:
    you would think if they were interested in a horse that they would look before the sale starts, theres a reason why we have inspection days!*#)

19. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

We have to go looking for me Gab (good excuse) :)

20. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

this isn't yearling sales but more "Ready to Run Sale"

Take said 2 yr old to sale. Give mane touch up while waiting for horse to have its turn at running around the track. Trainer says put hoof blakc on it (2 yr old never seen a can off hoof black) 2 yr old goes "oh no your not touching my feet with nail polish!!) luckily it was bay so having hoof black hlaf up the leg and all over my jeans didn't matter! Then lead out jockey (who has been changed from pofessional jockey to terrified appretence) lead and then chase 2 yr old on to track (its never been to belmont before) pray that it makes it all the way around track, watch 2 yr old nearly buck apprentece off at 600m post, trot up for vet while said horse is going off its face and then try and hold it while they draw blood.

Hose re-prettified 2 yr old, put in stall and then do the in and out thing while 2 yr old has had enough and throws tanties, then attempt to re-apply hoof black (oh no its nail polish again) while dodging legs, hoofs and other people who think its a good idea to walk next to you at that time.

watch 2 yr old get paraded and watch it get passed in so you know you have to get the 2 yr back on the float at the end of the day *#)

total time spent at work..... 345am to 6pm with nothing but a bowl of chips haha

We sacked the 2 yr 2 weeks later and last i heard he had a nice home somewhere :)*

don't miss going to those types of things with young horses that are fed to the eye balls!