Yay for a "new" float :)

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by maxntaz, Nov 29, 2011.

1. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Picking up my new (2ndhand) float this weekend. Its a 2006 Olympic. Cant wait.. done lots of shopping around and picked this one up for a good price. Wasnt fussed on brands, just wanted to get something strong, safe and bigger than what i had and i didnt want to buy brand new (couldnt warrant the cost of a brand new one).. anyway.. i just cant wait!:)*

2. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

oooh dont know how you can wait till the weekend LOL im a kinda of i want it now gal LOL

3. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Dont blame you for being mega excited Max **)
    I bought the new standard double budget imperial - have used it twice and HATE it :} Wish i'd never sold my davcar but anyways........... now i will lose too much money to get rid of the imperial - Paid 9k for it only 4-5 months ago, now they've just reduced them to 8k new ARGGHHHHH i really want to look at upgrading it again within the next 12 months tho - will go back to a davcar i think or maybe an Ifor ;)

4. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

I just bought a new one, same as the millsy types over here but i got it straight from manufacturer, just gotta get it licensed! Dont much like the imperials and have heard that the olympics can rust fairly quick, but all floats have their pros and cons I guess. Just individual preference.

5. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

Very exciting - I would be really excited as well. I have a custom built Topline but I am always carting stallions, mares and foals around so needed something that would suit my specific needs so had it built specifically for my warmbloods. I just love it - but the olympics are great floats and as you say all floats have there pros and cons. Just be careful with towing weights as some of the older floats (not that your new one is old at all - I am just speaking to others who may be looking at second hand floats) are actually not licensed to carry two decent sized horses and if you have an accident it can void your insurance.

6. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Congrats :)
    I have an Olympic which has been a great float, tows like a dream and while some people say they rust badly mine only has minor surface rust and it has lived outside since we bought it which is probably something like 8 years ago.

Foxleigh stud-Olympics have a GVM of 2000kg so can easily carry 2 average sized horses

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. maxntaz

Yup it is exciting. The float that i just got rid of was a1982 Olympic and theonly rust on its was on the door hinges of the storm doors, but still wasnt much rust at all, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes thats for sure. It has lived in a shed since new, however i dont have a shed for it. I think alot of how floats "run" is to do with how they are looked after. I like to pride myself in how i take care of my floats so hopefully this one lasts a long time! I also have had a Western Star float which was 30 years old when i sold it and i had a Discovery float which i had bought brand new. i couldnt fault any of these floats, but its all personal preference. When i was looking i was looking for a decent float in my price range. I must admit i wasnt keen on the imperial, but i did look at many other "chinese" floats.. it just happens that i have bought an aussie one.

8. maxntaz

Yeah i didnt mind the millsy ones, they were just too heavy for me to tow unfortunately. i would have only been able to tow with one horse.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Woohoo Max! I can't wait to see it! It looks like a lovely float and Taz will love his new wheels!

It's so nice having a float with a few bells and whistles no matter the brand! :D expec when your country!

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

But that GVM included the weight of the float itself. So if the float weighs 900 kgs that only leaves a further 1100 kgs for horses and gear ? :confused: So depending on your idea of 'average' (say 16 hands and 500 kgs for example), with 2 horses saddle etc you'll be right on the limit. I wouldn't say thats carrying it 'easily' ;)
    The axles on most of the floats around are only rated to 2000kg total as well.

Congrats MaxnTaz on your purchase BTW.
    You know we expect pics right :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  11. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I know the GVM includes the floats weight :)
    My idea of average sized horse is probably smaller than that (mine are much smaller). Majority of straight load floats are manufactured with a GVM of 2000kg

12. maxntaz

I only have one horse at the moment.. so i will be right as rain (or rein)! But yeah I wouldnt want to have two huge horses thats for sure, but that shouldnt be a problem with me. My current boy is 15.2hh and hoping that next one wont be over 16hh.

13. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

As has already been said that weight includes the weight of the float and some people get a shock when they realise their float weights 1200kg and they can then only carry 800 of horse, gear and water etc. I am just saying that people need to be aware. I have rocker rollar suspension and upgraded shocks etc on my float so it is licensed to carry more than your average.

When I was looking to buy a new float the number of company's advertising extended float that are designed to carry 2 warmbloods and when I started asking float weights and licensed weights alot would not legally carry what they were advertising so people just need to know the right questions to ask so they don't get caught out.

14. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

i have a taylor float :) i would be excited for an oylmpic float too there really neat and tidy :) happy travelling **) **)

15. maxntaz

I used it for the first time on the weekend, it was great. I have had new tyres put on it though and had it fully serviced. Although i was promised it was serviced, I have piece of mind knowing my mechanic has gone over it with a fine tooth comb! Happy that the bearings are good to go, the breaks work (they did anyway) and that everything has been greased and lubed LOL..Will get piccies up asap, however just been flat out leading up to xmas!