Yards and Electric Fencing Query

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Lucyloo, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Lucyloo

Lucyloo New Member

I am trying to decide between getting steel yards or electric yards. A couple of questions.
    1. Does anyone know the cost of the P shaped yards
    2. Does anyone know the cost (total) of electric fencing.
    3. What is the easiest one to use?

I am leaning towards the electric only because I like that the horse can have a bigger yard.

any thoughts..

2. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I have electric Lucyloo and I find it really easy to put up etc. When I costed it up it was going to cost about the same. My electric is as only as big as a small yard because I made it that way up on a reel so it is easy to set up. You could have it as big as you want. I bought steel pickets and then added an extra fibre glass ros to the top of them to make them high enough for WAERA standards. You need to be careful because I am pretty sure any EFA or ponyclub events you are not allowed to use electric.

I have found the portable 'hot' box a godsend I have used it all over my home paddock with another great gadget I bought from Gallagher which is the retractable fencing. You can strip feed, block bits off and have it as a secondary fencing to stop nose contact.

3. ChevalNoire

ChevalNoire New Member

Electric is great for being able to make a much bigger yard but I ended up going to a steel yard because you can't always guarantee the ground will be soft enough to get your posts into (Jarrahdale is a good example of this).

When this happened I ended up having to strap the posts to trees (with gaffa tape) so possibly a star picket rammer would fix that problem.

I just found it quicker and easier to set up and pack up the steel yard than the electric - maybe I'm just a lazy bugger ';'

Hope that helps :))

4. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Cheval Boddington is like that. I was lucky and snaffled a yard in the rodeo arena as we got there early but trying to bang posts in there was hopeless!! No wonder the horses there are good barefoot.

5. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

You would need to tell me the size (length) that will fit on the side of your float so we can give you an idea. If you measure between the door and the tail gate it will give you a rough idea. But you would need a proper measure done