Yard Flooring Question...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm after some nifty idea's...

Scenario:
    Kings yard - safe stirdy horse yards, hasn't been used for horses for quite a while, only problem is the floor, Its clay - hard in summer, soft and slippery in winter.
    When its wet its extremely muddy and I certainly don't want King standing in that for hours on end. At the same time if there's a big down-pour like there was a few weeks ago his yard just totally floods. It turns into a river where the water just flows on through.
    My question is - what can I do to deter the water another direction? What can I do to help drain the water from the yard?
    I don't think adding any bedding is a good idea because it would just wash away?
    Can I add something like rubber flooring with big holes so the water and mud washes through underneith or would that be too slippery for him? (just a silly brain storm of mine).

Any idea's would be greatly appretiated!
    I prefer not to leave him out at night as while he's out during the day he's checked on a number of times a day where as at night he can't be so he's locked away (how I like it).
    Tawny will also be taking up the yard next door to King once the current agister moves to Perth (will miss you!).

So I'm after some idea's on how to keep the flooring of these yards as dry and confortable as possible for the two boys during winter.

Thanks in advance!

Oh and PS: The local highschool owns the paddock and yards I use. There-fore its pretty private. Soon to be the only agister and their not really there to provide a 'service' so anything I want to modify if permission granted will come out of my own pocket - which of course I don't mind at all!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Hi Arnie,

We have the opposite problem in that we have that dry loose Jandakot soil that creates an abundance of dust in Summer. We anded up putting woodchip mulch in a large area just outside the stables and this has made a huge difference to our situation........might work for you as well in that it will help the water to drain below the mulch.......just an idea. Depends also on how big a yard you need to fix too as it can get costly with some floorings. Can you put some formwork up around the outside and get a truck load of sand in........even if it is only for some of the yard to give King a dry and comfortable part of his yard?

Sam:)

3. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I too would suggest putting sand down. I actually have the same problem on the farm.

As for drainage, over the last three or so editions of Hoofbeats there has been articles on building an arena and they had some drainage tips in there, perhaps modify them to fit your needs.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks guys - I'm still concerned about putting sand down as when we had the sudden rain a few weeks ago his yard liturally was a river, the water was clear and gushing through, it would wash anything away.
    I've considered putting boarding around the yards to avoid the outside water coming in like that? That may work?????

5. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend fixing it up. You could build a bank of bricks or boards and then fill it up like a sandpit and perhaps dig a ditch so most of the water will run off into the ditch.

Good luck I hope you find a soloution.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Deschuur. Would putting any kind of sand down just mix in with the mud? Or how thick does it need to be?

This is the yards(I love how shady they are):

[​IMG]

And this is Kings yard (Tawny will have the one next to it in a few weeks and once I make some modifications so he can't just walk under it lol). You can see how flat and hard the ground is.
    Here the water flows from about where I am straight through the yard and under the shelter. I've been wanting to board up the bottom of the shelter anyway because it is a hazard if one of them gets their foot under it but I'm worried about the water building up if I do so:

[​IMG]

7. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Looking at that, you could dig drains along the back of the stable & run it down the sides. You could do a big scoop drain which would divert the water away from the actual yard. This wont be expensive in monetary terms ...more in elbow grease.
    I am putting subsoil drains in my yards as well as diversion drains. I am also going to put a think base of crushed limestone & then top it with riversand.
    My reasons for it .... great drainage & the limestone will eliminate any odour ...urine smells.
    You could simply & cheaply fix your dilemma though by diversion drains & a truckload of woodchips :)