Yakult for Ulcers - Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Shenalar, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

Hi,
    As a follow on from my other thread on how to feed a horse with suspected ulcers - I have a question regarding the use of yakult.

I've got almost everything else that I was recommended now, and bought some yakult for him tonight, but I have no idea how much to give him.

Has anyone used it before?
    How much did you use?
    Did you put it in feed, or syringe straight down throat?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Sorry, can't help with the yakult question, but wanted to ask where the pics of the new pony are ?
    Did you post some and I missed them *#)

3. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

lol, no, you didn't miss a thread *#) yet............... *#)

He only arrived late Sunday, and we only got pics this morning and they are not on the computer yet ... that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it lol

I must go take a head shot, he is so pretty!! But I really would like to get some weight on him before I post any pics on here, he's a little more light on that I thought he would be :( and I don't want to cause any fuss for anyone

4. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I havent ever fed them as a remedy/therapy for ulcers - however I will often feed them as a probiotic suppliment. Im stingy, they are cheaper than protexin!

Funnily you mention this - I actually am re-conditioning a horse at the moment in poor condition, with potential ulcers.

I have had the horse on 30grms of Slippery Elm powder, mixed in with 1 bottle of Yakult, and 30ml of Humavite daily. Syringed over the tounge to get it in their before dinner.

I got dirty looks for the first 2 nights.....but after the horse in question realised it got washed down with copious carrots - she obliged and cooperated beautifully :)

I have found that she has settled into her dinnner very well, and is rapidly gaining condition.

Her stools are ahealthier consistency also **)

In humans - the introuction of probiotics to help the treamtnet of ulcers isnt really prevalent, however, once again - as a preventative, and assitant to the general digestive health it is exellent **)

5. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

Yakult

I had a horse with suspect ulcers and I gave him two bottles of yakult daily in his feed. He didn't seem to mind the taste. The food disappeared at the same rate. He certainly improved afterwards but I'm not sure if it was the yakult or the gastrazole