Xena's udder

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Andhi, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Xena had a foal last year, she was weaned earlier this year, however her udder hasn't shrunk back down at all, and still looks as if it may contain some milk.

What can I do to decrease its size? Is there anything I should or shouldn't feed?

Thanks

2. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I would be inclined to leave it alone. It will either just stay the way it
    is or go down in its own time **)

3. Roe

Roe Banned

I have a mare that has had foals and I have also got a mare that has not had foals and their boobies are very different. The mare who has boobies has perfect boobies nice full a cups the mare that has no foals has wrinkle/saggy boobies. They both love booby massages .... Tarts they are.

Back to the point ... Unless the mare is uncomfortable I would not worry about it. Just keep a close eye on it.

4. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Cheers, thx guys - it doesnt' seem to be bothering her at all

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

my mares like that as well haha tarts. quick question do your mares leak at all when they have massages?

6. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a mare with a big udder & her youngest foal is 4.5yrs LOL, she even got milk when Hutchy's foal was orphaned & at that point she had not fed a foal in 3 yrs.
    Its a bit like some people who have babies go back into shape quickly & others forever more have saggy boobs & bellies LOL :) .....luck of the draw :)

7. Hi all!:)
    Andhi:)
    I would suggest you check the udder for lumps. If it's enlarged but soft and not deformed in any way, then don't worry.:)
    If the mare is visually uncomfortable (in pain ) to the touch,if one side of the uder is harder or bigger than the other one, then get the vet out asap.
    I know of people who nearly lost the mare to an udder infection.
    Cheers, lena

8. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

my mare is exactly the same, her foal was weaned at the start of the year and shes still got big boobs and a little bit of milk when u massage them. shes in no pain and theres nothing abnormal about them, its just becoz shes had a few foals. my vet said its no biggie

9. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

hmm as far as i know my mares never had a foal so i wonder why she leaks hmmm

10. Roe

Roe Banned

Not that I have noticed. I always do it when I am washing her down I do a bit of a cleaning exercise when i do it as well.

they grunt and grown and if they are in season they squirt. Mares can be so gross at times!!!

11. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Thanks for all the tips guys :)
    They dont' bug her, there are no lumps and it was something that Sorrel had looked into before I got her - I will put it down to one of her very loveable quirks.