X-rays costs involved?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Brodie1808, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the costs involved in getting back end x-rays? in particular, stifle and SIJs.

Can portables be used on these areas or does the horse need to be bought in. Am calling the vet on Tuesday (public holiday here) but just thought id get some ideas.

2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

May or may not help. But I paid around $150 to get front fetlock x-rays, about 5 different shots on each fetlock.

Portable is super expensive!!! Would've ended up costing me close to $800 for the same x-rays!!!

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i know where imdoing work experiance its $25 a plate (about 4 per fetlock xrayed)

4. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Depends greatly on which clinic you get them done at....every clinic has different pricing structure.

For example, a clinic with a digital xray machine will charge more than a clinic without. A clinic which does a very large number of xrays will also probably charge less (economy of scale...) than a clinic which only does 3-4 a week.

County clinic in general will cost more than city clinics....

Cost will also go up if your horse doesnt stand still and requires sedation.

If you get the vet out, there will be a consult fee and milage on top of the xray fees.

5. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

also not quite sure whether sacro-iliac joints can be xrayed nowadays.couldn't when i went thru vet.
    maybe ultrasound or thermo imaging?

6. Raw Prawn

The can but you have to do it under GA, in the VD position. We did it at Murdoch....its VERY hard!

7. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

OK got the GA but what the hell is the VD position. It sounds kinky!

8. Raw Prawn

LOL!

Ventrodorsal. Its xray speak for shooting the xray through the underside of the horse and the xray plate is underneath.

9. Que Sera Sera

Ah so you have to roll the horse on its back?

10. Raw Prawn

Certainly do! When we did it, it took a team of about 10 people to position the horse properly and get a good shot, plus keep it under GA. It took hours and was extremely exhausting!

Not something I would ever do as a routine screening xray.

If you want those types of xrays done you would need to go to Murdoch.

11. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

I think i paid around $75 for the xray which included one slide? and it was $25per slide on top of that (i think a slide was one image?), i think i needed 2 slides for different angles, but this was for a splint so didnt need to dwelve right into it!!!

I generally try to not look at the bill and just pay it LOL! i figure at the end of the day it is money well spent for peace of mind and all that!!

12. Que Sera Sera

See I knew it was kinky! ROFLMAO

13. Raw Prawn

LOL!! Us vets go all the way...so to speak :D