X-rays and injections.?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Mocha, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to get a horses legs x-rayed, and injections if they have arthritis?
    I know its a dodgy question, but a guesstimation would be helpful.
    Also is there anyone I could PM to ask about the injections?
    Thanks in advance.

2. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

hey mocha. i recently had my boys legs x-rayed. i think the entire bill was like $350 or something, but he had an xray on his leg (3 slides, so 3 angles), he was drenched and had like an anti-inflammatory!!! so im guessing the xrays and slides would be about roughly $250!!! including consult, unsure of the injections though

3. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks MR :)

4. pso

pso Gold Member

hmmm... I recently had 4 xrays, with sedation and a bandage change for $550...
    guessing the bandage was about $200-the following ones were..? (seperate trip- same bill)

Injections would depend on what you are injecting (eg HA, cortizone etc)...and which joint I guess? And they would prob want to do nerve blocks etc....

5. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Consultation - $80-$100
    Sedation - anywhere from $50-$100
    Xrays - 4 views per joint - $300-$400
    Injections - depends on the drug used

6. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks PSO. I'll give the vets a ring tomorrow, I'm guessing all vets are different etc.
    Thanks for your help guys :D

7. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks raw prawn! Very helpful :D

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

If a horse is presenting with a leg issue...either recurring or as a result of an accident the vet will most probably only do the leg that is affected.
    If your vet suspects a 'general arthritis' he may like to do both front legs or both back legs or all four.

It really depends on what the horse is presenting with as to what gets x-rayed.

Same for drugs.

From the post I suspect the horse you refer to has a one leg problem?
    In which case the vet will either x-ray the knee, the fetlock joint and/or the foot.
    There are lots of different drugs that can be given for either inflamation of a joint (cortisone ect) or there are other drugs that are more broad-spectrum like Pentasan/Cartrophen......
    Your vet might like to inject into the joint....(intra-articular) or he might prescribe a intra-muscular (all over) drug like the Pentasan (which I can HIGHLY recommend and can also go into the joint).

The best thing about getting x-rays is that you have a definitive diagnosis and there is no second guessing. And it provides a treatment record so that you can assess things months down the track and compare x-rays to see if there is improvement or not.

They might not be the cheapest of things to get, but they are the best start to any treatment plan...short or long term.

**)

9. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Thanks EVP.
    I should have said more in my original post, but this is quite pathetically emotional for me.
    The vet came out today for a general look at Tristan, my 25 year old. He suspected a bit of arthritis in one of his hocks. He said he will be fine to still do low-level jumping/competing, but if he is ever stiff or turns up lame, I'll need the x-rays and injections, he explained to me about them but I was in too much shock to absorb it all in.
    I'd rather act sooner than later to sort him out, I wont be able to stand it if he's in pain. As a 17 year old student/casual worker, I needed to know the prices so I can sort myself out financially. You guys have helped heaps. Thanks.

10. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Mocha please ask your vet about Pentasan. Pleeeease!

The results I have got from my old mare who was all but crippled...well my vet said its the best result of any horse he has treated.

She is so much improved that I just can't sing its praises enough.

I get 12 bottles in a styro box for $480. The course is generally one per week for 4 weeks and then one per month.....but your horse ight respond better and only need one every 2 or 3 months.

It works by lubricating ALL the joints....so if they are a bit worse in the hocks and going that way in the knees it will do it all!

AND its stops further degeneration.

Now playing devils advocate here.....your horse is obviously much loved. AND we all know how hard good horses are to come by.....yes he's 25....BUT the cost to keep him happy and sound will be a hell of alot less than buying a new competitive horse!!
    Especially if financially you can't afford it at this time. So why not spend the money and keep this fellow going for a few more good years yet.

So what if it costs even $1000 (it won't but you get my meaning).......what would you be paying to get another horse to the comp level and personal confidence level you have with your horse now?

Do a google on Pentasan and read about it......say you treated him for the first 4 weeks and again in a month.....that is only 5 bottles.....around say $300.00.......it might be the best 300 you ever spent.

Of course see what your vet thinks and keep me posted.

Damn if I had known the results I got with Phillipa (princess pookie darling sweetpea) I would have got it years ago. You should see her trot now....hasn't trotted for 3 years!!

You might even be able to start treatment with it and not get x-rays for a few months.....see if you get a result you are happy with.......it certainly won't hurt him or conflict with any other problem I wouldn't think...unless he has a break of sorts but you would know that by now.
    I'm trying to think how you can save money but get a treatment plan happening sooner rather than later....the quicker you start this type of drug the better it works!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  11. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

I will definatly ask about Pentasan, it sounds like a miracle! He is a mental case when I ride him, I could only imagine what he'd be like on this drug :p lol fun times ahead.
    Every cent of mine goes to this horse, I would never ditch him for a younger horse (I ditched my 5 year old for Tristan, haha). Thanks for the advice, I'll Google it right now :)

12. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Just went through it, $350.00 for x-rays and then $400.00 for hyraluronic acid shot but there was no arthritis present just some thickening of the stifle ligament so he is on Cosequin now :)

Just need to add I did not go for the injection as it can have a risk of joint infection and also is invasive and the vet thinks he will be fine on Cosequin it was an injury related incident rather than arthritis he is 19 years young

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I didn't do the xrays so can't help there, but have recently finished a 4 week course of Pentosan injections.
    I think the course cost me about $350 and now all I need do is 'top up' my girl every so often. Perhaps 2 or 3 times a year with a single injection.
    There were cheaper brands of the same thing, but I chose to use the one that was supposedly meant to accompany the joint suppliments I chose to feed as well.

Edited to say: The Pentosan course was give intra muscular, not direct into any joints.